Passport Expiration Date

BillO

Earning My Ears
Is a passport that expires 5 months after the cruise valid for a cruise stopping in Cozumel, Mexico? If it is not valid, can a valid driver’s license and state-issued birth certificate be used instead? The cruise departs and returns to the port in Miami.

If it is not expired, go ahead and use it up to the date of expiration. Do not bring your birth certificate to the ports with you.

While some countries require a passport be valid fir six months from date if entry, I don't believe Mexico is one of them. In any case, coming off of the cruise ship for a one day excursion shouldn't be a problem, it is pretty clear you do not intend to stay.

When traveling by air, your passport should be valid for at least six months from your date of arrival. When cruising, you are only required to have a valid passport. I'm not sure what would happen when you return to the US if the passport had expired while on your trip, but as Shmoo suggested, I wouldn't take a chance. Sounds like you will be OK.

Getting a new passport when your current passport is still valid is relatively easy. Processing time is much faster than with a new passport. You may want to consider that.

An airline should refuse boarding if you are flying into a country that requires the 6 month valid rule as they can get fined in some cases.. .. Airlines HAVE to go by those rules. But this is not your case.

You're fine.

Mexico just requires a valid passport when you enter. The US also requires a valid passport when you enter (i.e. when you return after the cruise).

While some countries require a passport be valid fir six months from date if entry, I don't believe Mexico is one of them. In any case, coming off of the cruise ship for a one day excursion shouldn't be a problem, it is pretty clear you do not intend to stay.

Though Mexico is not one that requires the six months (if you're a US or Canadian citizen - citizens of other countries have to check), if a country DOES require the passport to be valid for six months from date of entry, the fact that you're coming off a cruise ship for only one day or even if you're not getting off the ship is irrelevant. If you require a passport to be valid for six months after the date of entry, it must be valid for six months, no exceptions. You wouldn't even be allowed to get on the ship if you require a six month expiry and your passport doesn't have that. You can't even enter the waters of another country without the appropriate paperwork.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter