Part of the Chicken Gang in WDW (2 of 8)

Chickenlady

Mouseketeer
Trip report Feb 3 -10, 2001

Cast
Chickenlady - 40 year old trip planner, 6th time at WDW
JR - my 3 year old son, 3nd time at WDW
Grammy - my mother, 62, roller coaster fanatic, more than 6 trips to WDW

DAY 2 - Feb. 4, 2001

All of us woke well rested and ready to hit the MK. Only snag was the weather. It was cold! We dressed in many layers and headed over to the food court for breakfast. Love the selection and the lack of long lines. JR started his week-long obsession of having pancakes for breakfast, every day! Grammy couldn't wait for Kona Café, so she got the stuffed french toast (which she proclaimed to be excellent). I got the cheese and egg biscuit and added JR's bacon to it...yummy. Did notice one thing lacking at the value resorts.....no Equal, only Sweet n Low. I always carry a supply, but I almost left it to conserve space since I remembered WL having a huge basket of it at Roaring Forks....glad I brought my own. As an aside, I also brought some of our leftover Mickey soap and shampoo from the last trip......great idea because the only mickey thing we got at ASMo was Mickey hand soap. Bath soap and shampoo were in wall dispenser, yuck!

With our bellies filled, we made our way to the bus stop and were pleasantly surprised that the walk to the bus was not any longer than it was from our room at WL. It did seem to take forever to get to MK, but we were just a little anxious. Never did figure out the bus system....sometimes the bus would pick up at ASMo and then go to AS-sports and ASMu. Other times it would go directly to a park. Sometimes the bus would stop at only one of the other AllStars. In all, we always made it to wherever we wanted to go, sometimes it just took awhile.

Arrived at MK just before opening and slowly made our way to Fantasyland.....could start no where else with JR around. Just as we made our way off Dumbo it started to rain....not like we weren't used to it from last vacation. Quickly learned that 3 yr olds can be very weird. JR would always cry and scream "I don't want to ride ..fill in the blank" until he got close enough to see the cars, then you couldn't hold him back. I almost didn't take him on Pooh because he was putting up such a fuss, only to have him screaming "I want to do it again" before we even exited.
At one point, we rounded the corner by the tea cups to see Pooh and gang walking toward the fence for the racetrack. Eeyore grabbed JR's hand and skipped away with him. I'm trying to take a picture and corral the stroller and backpack, all the while without losing sight of my child. The Pooh group arrived at the area by the rope to toontown and the CM handler said that the gang would be available for group photos and "This little boy will go first", pointing to JR. SO COOL!!!!! JR was beaming from ear to ear, and I got the picture!.

The light rain and cold temps did work to keep the crowds down, it was great. Although we were freezing we managed to hit all important rides and even head over to Jungle cruise and Pirates. On our last visit Jungle cruise was closed for rehab., so this was a first for JR. Boy, did he love it. Its prob. tied with Pirate as his favorite ride now. A quick snack of french fries and hot chocolate (hey, we're on vacation) and we were bouncing all over the MK.

We returned to the room after noon for our nap (daily must with a 3 yr old, and me). Maid service had already been through and we laid down for what turned out to be a 2.5 hr nap. Grammy insisted that she would not nap, but could read while we slept. She too was quickly snoring away. Rested and refreshed, we hopped a bus to Epcot and started with the little guy's favorite (Spaceship Earth). Generally, bounced around Future World until close to our PS time at Le Cellier. They seated us a few min early and we enjoyed one of the best meals of our trip here. Only thing that did strike me as odd....waitress mentioned the daily special (surf and turf) without mentioning the price. Not that it really mattered but when I got the bill I noticed that the "special" was at least $5. more than any other entree on the menu....Grammy is worth it though. I had the cheese soup (wonderful but peppery) and the mushroom stuffed filet. Grammy had the above mentioned special ( small lobster tail and small filet). JR had the kids' pasta ( I was sure the waitress said spaghetti, but it turned out to be a wonderful curly pasta). Everyone enjoyed the meal and the service was great..not too much dilly dallying for the 3 yr old.

We exited Canada just in time to see TON starting. Off we run to a great spot by the curb outside of Rose and Crown. Since we were not sitting directly on the curb, I put JR on my shoulders....Great move. So many puppets stopped to touch him that I thought he was going to cry from all the excitement. Grammy kept commenting "You should see the look on his face!". He kept the crowd entertained by yelling "No dancing" at me whenever I started to sway to the music. When the parade finished we leisurely strolled back toward the entrance for a view of Illuminations. The weather was still a little chilly but we were dressed warmly and the crowds were almost non-existent. Illuminations did not disappoint! JR was particularly impressed. We ambled back to the bus stop, stopping for a potty break and found only a few people waiting for the bus. We loaded quickly and headed off for ASMo and bed.

What a great day! Sounds like you guys got a much needed nap today.

hipgrl1.gif
iluvchat.gif

<FONT COLOR=Red> Co-Chat Mistress</font>
<FONT COLOR=Red>Instructional Chat Co-Host
</FONT>
<font color=Blue> Co-Moderator Trip Reports Board</font>
<font color=green>
<font color=FF00CC>Co-Moderator Theme Parks, Attractions and Strategies

Tapestry of Nations is so fun for the little ones -- isn't it? My girls loved to touch the puppets. Sounds like another great day! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter