lindai

Mouseketeer
Cast:

Me: 38 - high tech worker, ride wimp from New Hampshire
DH: 39 - works way too much, coaster lover from New Hampshire
DS: 11 - coaster lover like his dad, but would rather snowboard
Mom: 61 - ride wimp looking for some warm weather
Dad: 70 - loves thrill rides but can't do them due to a bad back

After spending a few days in Clearwater we headed over to Portofino.

(side note: On Saturday we took a walk around the Clearwater Marina. My husband loved looking at all the fishing boards lined up along the wharf. As we walked along enjoying the warm weather and view
of the intercoastal, I looked up and there was a boat owned by John Topicz. Fellow DIS'er Jim Topicz aka jtopicz1 had mentioned in a post to me about Clearwater that his family owned a charter
fishing business in Clearwater. Very nice boat Jim!)

The drive from Clearwater to Orlando took about 1.5 hours and we arrived around noon. This was my third trip to Portofino and my son's and parent's
first time there. I couldn't wait to show them this beautiful hotel. I did notice that at check in there was no Loew's First Member line as there has been on my previous trips. However, we were the ony ones checking in and my guess is that they only put out the sign during busy times. I had booked two Deluxe pool view rooms with the Entertainment rate and requested an upgrade to a suite using the postcard I had received. Was told by the reservationist that she would note it but didn't think it would work because of the ent. rate. Upon checking in, I was told that I did get the upgrade. I was very suprised, but I also had been in touch with the manager before this trip due to some problems from a previous trip in June. I don't know if that had any bearing on getting the suite, but needless to say I was thrilled.

Our suite was HUGE!! There was a bedroom on each end, one with a king size bed for my parents and the other with 2 queens for DH, DS and me. In between was a dining area, living room, office, kitchen and another bath. The living area was decorated in muted greens and gold. Very pretty. We had a total of 5 doors!! The suite took up half of the floor we were on and it overlooked the palm tree lined villa pool. With temps in the high 70's and a suite at Portofino, I was officially in heaven.

After a quick trip to Sal's for a panini, we decided to skip the parks for the day and hit the pool. DH and DS went to the main pool, while I stayed at the Villa pool with my parents. Around 4pm we headed to our room to clean up and head over to Citywalk. We had ordered more food while hanging at the pools so we weren't too hungry and decided to head over to Margaritaville for nachos. We hung out on the porch listening to Buffet music, drinking Corona's, eating nachos. It was still warm and to sit outside at night in January was such a treat. Ahh.. life is good. Headed back around 8:30 to get a good nights sleep before hitting the parks. Upon returning to the room we saw that a plate of cookies, a pitcher of milk on ice, a bottle of red wine and a bottle of white wine had been left on the coffee table. Not a bad way to end the evening.

Tomorrow... IOA

[This message was edited by lindai on 01-26-01 at 11:10 AM.]

lindai, what an incredible trip! Sounds like the weather, the company, the suite :D everything was just on your side! I enjoyed reading your trip report very much...looking forward to more...thanks :)

jessica5.gif

How very, very impressive! I am so happy for you. I love reading reports like this. Even if it never happens to me, I like knowing it does happen. Can't wait to read more! Mahalo! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter