Park Plans With Younger Children

fattymatty

Mouseketeer
I am planning out first trip to Disney world, been to Disneyland a few times ourselves but this will be the first for the kids. I was wondering what some of you seasoned folks have done recently or in the past for a overall game plan. I've heard of some people doing a few hours with a break in afternoon etc but what has worked well for you guys? Our kids will be 9 and 6 when we arrive

If you are staying on property- we like to get to the parks at rope drop(opening), do a lot of rides first, see some shows as the parks start to fill, get a qs lunch and then head back to our resort. We relax there and swim during the busiest(and hottest) times of the day. Then, we will go back to a park, usually a different one and get some dinner and stay for the evening shows. Take a break and try not to do everything. WDW is massive compared to Disneyland, have each kid pick three "must dos" and focus on that. Enjoy your trip, I hope you have a great time!

Let the kids have a buy in. You know your kids the best so timing is up to you. But each day we make sure that we have each child's and adults priorities for that day. This way they know what is going on. I have found that it is the simple things that make things magical! Example is my girls know I HATE splash anything rides! But I will go on them with them but then they are extra good when I might take a few minutes looking at kitchen items or bags. At the end of the day everyone has a say on what is important! If it is the pool then let it be the pool! If it is missing a fast pass and playing in the rain the. Do it!
On a side note though remember to stay hydrated with non sugar drinks! This will help keep the peace! For the adults remember to take time to yourself too even if that means just going on a walk or getting coffee in the morning.
Just my two cents!

It really depends on your kids. Mine will be 6 (almost 7) and 9 when we go in May. We may end up taking some breaks for naps at the hotel, but we won't need them every day. My kids are go go go type kids. Last summer I had them in sports camp (in Houston so it was HOT!). I picked them up after an 8 hour day and then we swam for 2 hours. They still went to bed at their normal time and woke up fine. Other kids will need the break each day. You know your kids best. Some of the best advice I have read, is that if someone (anyone) in your group needs a break, take a break. That doesn't need to be leaving the park for a nap at the hotel. It might be just finding some air conditioning and eating a snack, or riding a long ride (like Ellen's Energy Adventure) or seeing a show - Hall of Presidents. Just be sure to take that break when it is needed!

If you are staying on property- we like to get to the parks at rope drop(opening), do a lot of rides first, see some shows as the parks start to fill, get a qs lunch and then head back to our resort. We relax there and swim during the busiest(and hottest) times of the day. Then, we will go back to a park, usually a different one and get some dinner and stay for the evening shows. Take a break and try not to do everything. WDW is massive compared to Disneyland, have each kid pick three "must dos" and focus on that. Enjoy your trip, I hope you have a great time!

Oh my goodness GET OUT OF MY HEAD! LOL - this is seriously the exact same thing we do. It works really well to miss the crowds, stress and the heat which are our main fun killers.

We did better sticking to our normal schedule rather than doing a midday break. We were up early, at rope drop. We'd do the parks all day, with the two year old crashing in the stroller. Then we'd head out of the parks for dinner at the hotel and bedtime around 7-8.

Our son wakes early so we rope drop and head back to hotel by 3. Pool and easy dinner and regular bedtime. No park hoppers. Sure it means we don't see evening shows but we will someday. The midday break doesn't work for us. No one naps, takes forever back and forth.

We were also surprised how much DS loved Epcot. Playing the Agent P games were his favorite.

Learn to go with their flow. Enjoy whatever they like instead of rushing to see it all.

Kids were 8/5 when we went last summer. We got up early, did PPO breakfasts half the time, and planned all our FPs for the morning (and pick up extras throughout the day). We followed the kids' lead and they wanted to stay in the parks most of the time (no rest and pool for them!).

For us, the biggest thing was to have a plan but be willing to be flexible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter