Park Pet Peeves

It's annoying when people who get there late for a parade or fireworks try and shove their kids up between me and my own kids, who are usually sitting on the curb (for a parade). I'm standing behind them because they are little (last trip they were barely 3 and barely 6) and I want to be right there. I was about 7.5 months pg on our last trip and squatting down wasn't really a comfortable option for me. I'm sorry that you got there too late for your kids to see, but that's not really my problem. Had their been room NEXT to me or my kids that would have been fine, but there wasn't.

I also don't like to see kids right there in the smoking area with their parent/adult. It just makes me sad to think that they are so exposed to second-hand smoke and they can't do a thing about it.

Finally, though it's Disney, parents should still be expected to keep their kids controlled. It's so annoying when kids are bouncing around in line, hanging on ropes/poles, running around restaurants (both TS or CS), touching other people's things without asking, or just being plain obnoxious.

People who stand in line for 10 minutes at a cs restaurant and then wait until they get to the front of the line to decide what they want. So then they take another 5 or 10 minutes trying to figure out what everyone in their group wants, while the rest of us have to wait on them.

Decide before you step up to the register. Its not that hard of a concept.

My kids are going on my shoulders if i can't get up front. Now, if i can't, i get all the way in back and lift them up, that way i am technically right on the line of the area where the CM is telling people behind me to keep moving, that way i don't block anyone who is supposed to be watching the show.

I find it funny, the differences here are very identifiable with gender of the poster. Most of the "peeves" are somewhat silly to me and easily blown off, but I am a man. The kid thing gets me , because of the lack of logic. Kids, i truly mean kids, not teens, can't see over a 6 foot adult in front of them, so a kid on shoulders means nothing more that what was previous. So, you can whine all day about kids not seeing because of a kid on dad's shoulders, but it doesn't hold water, just be honest and say you can't see. If you tell me that, I'll switch with you since i can see over you.

My argument holds plenty of water thankyouverymuch and is of course just a small piece of the problem and was in response to the poster who suggested that a tiny person needed to be up there to see (which would block the view of everybody behind them, adults and children alike). And THANK YOU for being one of the considerate dads who stays in the back and puts their kid up, thus not blocking anyone. :goodvibes

First, I wouldn't touch the "shoulders" debate with a ten foot pole:rotfl:I totally see both sides. However, MY big pet peeve is when parents rent HEALTHY children a wheelchair (to act like a stroller???) and they get to go to the front of the line. We saw several last June where the kids would hop in and out. . .they were healthier than I'll ever be! I could care less if you want to push your 7, 8, 9 year old kids around in a "stroller", but unless there is a physical reason for a wheelchair, they should not be allowed to bypass the line!!! One the other hand, I was pushing my 87 year old grandmother and greatly apprecaited the service for the few rides she was able to go on!

Wait...you won't TOUCH the "shoulders" debate but you'll dive headfirst into shallow water on the "doesn't look like they need a wheelchair" debate?

:lmao:

I can deal with everything else but it makes my skin crawl when kids latch onto me. Like we'll be watching fireworks and I feel little arms wrap around my leg. Or small kids will lay up against me in a line. Or (this really happened) a small kid tried to crawl into my lap during B&TB. I just don't understand how the parents think that is acceptable??! (Flame suit ready - I know others don't agree here. Before I get told that I will understand when I'm a mother, I'm 30+ and married almost 10 years. No kids by choice.)

Yes, I know I look "mom-ish" but get your kid off me!! :rotfl2:

No one should flame you...that's unacceptable behavior! I have 2 little ones and I keep them in line. "Cuddling" with strangers should not be acceptable on any level!

With large groups I can understand where a small child would inadvertently grab a wrong hand but that's about it. I even scold my girls for grabbing the chains\rope while waiting in line.

my biggest pet peeve from our last trip is people blocking the FP entrance because they are waiting on their time to come up. It was really bad at Soarin - a group of 20 or so was blocking everyone else from going through

my other one is looking directly at my driving the ECV then trying to hurry and cross in front of me, I didn't hit anyone, and I always drove on "turtle" in crowds, but it still doesn't stop on a dime and there was some close calls....especially one lady who looked right at me driving behind DH (who was wearing the same tye dye shirt) and stuck her stroller out in between us to cross over :confused3

I agree with most of the pet peeves posted here, but I didn't see one that really really irks me and that is over the top PDA's while in line! Adults don't need to stand in line watching a couple making out and groping each other for a half hour or more and their CHILDREN definitely don't need to see that either. There's a place for that (like your room!!) I think it's rude, disrespectful and disgusting!

What drives me nuts is people who plow into a crowd of people with a stroller rather than simply slowing down or stop to let people who are walking to walk safely around them. OH and the people in the motorized wheelchair who do the same thing only honk their horn while they plow into them. I bet people who own strollers would buy a horn to blow if I invented one.

Same here! I was there a few years ago and a lady on an EVC kept honking her horn and yelling get out the way get out the way, move, move, get out the way, move. Someone asked her if she needed to get the crowed moved because of an emergency and she said no I just want to get through...........how about wait your turn and go with the flow like the rest of us. That thing doesn't give you special rights to run us all over.

Wait...you won't TOUCH the "shoulders" debate but you'll dive headfirst into shallow water on the "doesn't look like they need a wheelchair" debate?

:lmao:[/QUOTE]

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Too funny! and yes, I am diving head first in to the shallow waters of judgement! These kids were bouncing around and pushing their own wheelchairs right up to the front of the line!!! Best Fast Pass ticket in town! If you've ever gone through the wheelchair line, watch, you'll see!:headache:

I'm thinking Disney should take this list and create a guideline list and post it all over their parks! Definitely some gray area here with the kids on shoulders thing and such.

Another one that drives me bonkers is when the bus IS actually full, they keep trying to cram more people in!!!! I get efficiency and all but at some point, it's dangerous!

Also have to say that I have been a stroller offender, but unintentioanlly (although I know if generally doesn't make it less annoying) by running into the back of legs. But it's def not a "I have a stroller, I get more real estate" attitude. I always make sure to apologize emphatically to the people I run into.

While I'm an anti smoker, fbut olks ar entitled to smoke in their area and others need to be cognizant of that.

Parents: keep tabs on your kids. They are YOUR responsibility.

All in all, the majority of the things on here are things that could be rectified by the "treat others as you want to be treated" mantra.

I look at a lot of these things as teaching opportunities for my children so that hopefeully the next DIS generation will know how to act.

Certain debates, it seesm like people are going to be on one side or the other. Not many on the in-between crowd.
1. Stollers
2. Kids on shoulders
3. ECV's

I also think that while the majority of the folks on the DIS boards are overwhelmingly aware of Disney Park strategies and such, there are far more people out there that show up to the World without a clue. And that, my friends is our cross to bear.

I hate when people stand too close to me in line. If I hear you breathing, or you continuously bump me, etc, you are TOO CLOSE! Back off! And I tell them too.

I will add another one, people who think their kids are more important than anyone else around them by putting them on their shoulders so adults can't see. I am there to watch the show just like everyone else. I paid my money, I waited for the show to get a good spot, Disney isn't just for kids, it is for all of us.

I stay to the right when I walk, and when people walk right "at me"...that annoys me. Traffic tends to flow fairly well when people are not randomly walking all over the walkway/sidewalk...not a fan of nonstop dodging.

My biggest pet peeve is people crying and moaning about things that stress them out in the happiest place on earth. It seems like people need to learn how to deal with stress better. I don't care if the person in line or in front of me has a leash attached to the kid on his shoulders, pushing a stroller while riding an ECV and blowing smoke rings down Main Street. I am spending precious time with the ones I love, in the most magical place in the world. Don't sweat the small stuff, and your vacation will be much more enjoyable!

Hmmm...

I would have to say people who stand too close to me in line as well. Some people don't get "personal space"! If I move one inch forward you don't have to as well! But then again, this bothers me at the grocery store too!

Also, people who talk through the rides. The worst was at The Great Movie Ride, where the people in front of us quoted everything before it was said. Pretty sure they were drunk! Happens a lot at Rock n Roller Coaster too. I'd really like to hear Aerosmith talking, not you! Not impressed that you can quote the entire thing.

Have to agree about the bus seats too. Not that they have to, but it sure is nice to see a young man give up his seat to a mom holding a baby, a little kid, or a pregnant woman. I try to teach my son to make these gestures.

PDA in line and in small spaces! Ewww! Can't you control yourselves just a bit?

This topic is a little depressing! Lol! I have to say that for every obnoxious, annoying person, there is usually someone that surprises us with politeness and good manners. We try to make friends and be polite. We have many memories of people giving us their unused fast passes, helping us with infomation, etc. You know, Disney Magic! I hope we have mostly those on our next trip! Lol!

I have 2. 1 relates to rides like test track (there are others as well, but TT is the "biggest" ride I can think of that does this) where they pile everyone into a room, then funnel everyone out through a small door to stand in yet another line. Groups get broken up, people get stepped on, etc. It's not a great design. And, have you ever noticed that group 1 outlets into the ride in a much shorter queue than group 2, and group 2's queue is much shorter than group 3 (I think that's the order, but I could be reversed). But FP always goes to group 3?

The 2nd is adults who act like children. We were at the bird show at AK sitting in the bleachers with plenty of space all around. This group of three (who I assume are parents and their older/30-ish daughter) shows up and chooses the row right in front of us. The Dad says "let's move down so we don't block the little guys (my DS6) view." The daughter has a tantrum right there saying, in the whiniest voice you can imagine "No, I don't want to scoot down. I want to sit right here." I was flabbergasted. It's not like she was 12. At any rate, the dad did leave a space between himself and his wife and I did thank him for his consideration (I said it loud enough for the daughter to hear as well). Some people can be so rude!

My biggest pet peeve is people crying and moaning about things that stress them out in the happiest place on earth. It seems like people need to learn how to deal with stress better. I don't care if the person in line or in front of me has a leash attached to the kid on his shoulders, pushing a stroller while riding an ECV and blowing smoke rings down Main Street. I am spending precious time with the ones I love, in the most magical place in the world. Don't sweat the small stuff, and your vacation will be much more enjoyable!

I guess your just a better person eh?

Life does not cease to go on even at WDW (BTW, DisneyLAND is the happiest place on Earth, not WDW). Life's problems and people's personal feelings do not cease to exist when they enter the gates. People still have feelings about things whether it's in Walmart, at home, at school, Vegas, the hair salon or WDW etc. Things that bother one at home or elsewhere will still bother them when they're at WDW. To suggest otherwise is foolishness.

I spend precious time with my loved ones EVERY SINGLE DAY. WDW is just another place to do that. It is not some perfect infallible wonderland. It's a terrific place and my preferred vacation destination. I love everything about it. I have no complaints about DISNEY, and the peeves listed so far seem to not be about Disney itself. Now, about the other people who we have to share it with?

I hate the parents who put kids on their shoulders for fireworks, parades, etc. There is nothing more frustrating than standing on Main St and the minute the lights go down for Wishes all the kids go up on shoulders. It makes it impossible to see anything and it just plain rude!!

Believe me, a kid in a crowd who can't see anything is waaay more annoying than a kid on shoulders. Think jostling, whining, and eventually, wailing.

But I find my own kids to be annoying at times. The constant angling for items in the gift shops, when they all seem to sell the same stuff and half of it is available at toys r us anyway.

I am annoyed by the sink lingerers. We just got back from DL. Often my DH and I would take turns running to the bathrooms, so i tried to be quick, but the bottleneck was ALWAYS at the sink. I would be standing there waiting for someone who was carefully drying each finger while blocking the sink. So annoying! Grab your paper towels and step aside!

:lmao:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Too funny! and yes, I am diving head first in to the shallow waters of judgement! These kids were bouncing around and pushing their own wheelchairs right up to the front of the line!!! Best Fast Pass ticket in town! If you've ever gone through the wheelchair line, watch, you'll see!:headache:

I'm having a little trouble with this one. To my knowledge a wheelchair will not get you front of the line anyplace unless it's MAW. So, the question is how does it get one to the front of the line when just about all, if not all, attractions are wheelchair and even "scooter" accessible?:confused3

Actually the only ride that I ever remember that had a special car for wheelchairs was World of Motion and that was a long, long time ago. Places like Universe of Energy has them but in this attraction front of the line, back of the line...all the same. Everyone goes together.

Mine is being in a bottle-neck area and nobody is moving...the people behind me do the "excuse me, excuse me, excuse me" bit to move past and do the shoulder push to get by me and my family - when literally NO ONE is moving. Wait your turn, people! We're ALL trying to get through.

And of course the line cutters, but that's a given. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter