• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Park maximum capacity on holidays

Minnie824

DIS Veteran
I have a question thinking ahead to next summer. I know on holidays MK reaches capacity alot. We were thinking of going on the 4th of July next year. My question is, if we do not go to MK in the morning, but have a dessert party booked for the fireworks, will they let us in the park even after they have reached capacity? I'm debating if we want to even attempt that or do something outside of the parks.

The parks rarely reach capacity. It's been years. If you are staying on site then MK would have to reach the highest capacity level before you would not be allowed in. I believe there are 4 levels of closure with 4 being the one where you would not be allowed in.

Here's information from Touring Plans about phased closures and when they have happened:

Phase 1 Closure
Casual visitors are turned away at the automobile toll plazas. This means that people without tickets, those with one-day, single-park tickets, and those intending to use cast member passes will not be allowed to park.
Other guests may enter such as:
  • Those with multi-day or multi-park tickets
  • Those staying at a Disney Resort
  • Annual Passholders
  • Those re-entering the park that day.
  • Those "hopping" from another park.
  • Those with in-park reservations or appointments.
  • Those arriving via Disney transportation
The following are dates within the past 10 years when Walt Disney World parks have reached, yet not gone past, a Phase 1 capacity closure:
  • Magic Kingdom: December 25, 26, and 29, 2014; December 31, 2015; December 31, 2017
Phase 2 Closure
The only guests allowed through the turnstiles and into the parking lots are:
  • Annual Passholders
The following are dates within the past 10 years when Walt Disney World parks have reached, yet not gone past, a Phase 2 capacity closure:
  • Magic Kingdom: April 8 and 9, 2009; December 28 and 30, 2009; December 29, 2010; December 25 and 28, 2011; December 24, 25, and 30, 2012; December 25 and 30, 2013; July 4, 2014; December 31, 2014.
  • Hollywood Studios: December 29, 2009 and December 28, 2011
  • Animal Kingdom: December 28, 2009 and December 28, 2011
Phase 3 Closure
  • Annual Passholders
The following are dates within the past 10 years when Walt Disney World parks have reached, yet not gone past, a Phase 3 capacity closure:
  • Magic Kingdom: April 7, 2009; December 29 and 31, 2009; March 30, 2010; December 25 and 31, 2010; December 31, 2011; December 27, 28, and 31, 2012; January 2, 2013; March 25-28, 2013; July 4, 2013; December 31, 2013.
Phase 4 Closure
The park and parking lot are closed to all arriving guests. The only Phase 4 Closure in the past 10 years has been Magic Kingdom on April 7, 2009.

Does anyone know why it's been years since these kinds of closures? Is it because less people are going or they raised the threshold for the closures?

Does anyone know why it's been years since these kinds of closures? Is it because less people are going or they raised the threshold for the closures?
No one other than Disney really knows but I believe it's a combination of both. Word of mouth comes out saying how insane certain times of years are and people avoid and switch dates. And also Disney might tweak the numbers a bit

Disney definitely hasn't been less crowded!!! No known facts, but I believe Disney has definitely increased the threshold. If you look at pictures of past holidays (Christmas), people are shoulder to shoulder with no place to move..

If you read some of the reviews, (Trip Advisor), people are concerned about safety with the crowds. I often wonder if there was a true emergency\ disaster how would anyone survive or escape injury.

However, July 4th doesn't appear to draw the crowds, as bad a s between Christmas and New Year.

My guess would be new lands mean more people allowed into that park. Ex. New Fantasyland and Pandora.
This. The added acreage from NFL at MK, which was the only park to reach Phase 4, is the general reason why all by itself. They can add more people for each acre, obviously.

I think it's because of the fact that people are spreading out their dates more.
Remember the old January, early December, September and October crowds back then? They were always low crowds, but look at them now. Those dates get busier every year. And the old dates that use to reach phase closures aren't reaching that crowd level anymore.

Phase 4 would be controlled by the Fire Marshall.

The general thought is that summer crowds have gone down and fall has gone up. October used to be value season, not anymore. Free dining was offered this year 7/5 to 9/30.

The Internet has in some ways been the great equalizer for crowds - just look at the big business of crowd calendars. Plus school systems that are now all over the board with schedules, flying to Orlando is as easy and 'relatively' affordable as ever, all four of the parks are legit draws, demographic shifts, etc. No one reason, but lots of different reasons.

I think it's because of the fact that people are spreading out their dates more.
Remember the old January, early December, September and October crowds back then? They were always low crowds, but look at them now. Those dates get busier every year. And the old dates that use to reach phase closures aren't reaching that crowd level anymore.
oh trust me, NYE and July 4 still reach huge crowds. (well, we didn't go to July 4 this year but last few years anyway)
I do think without the NFL area they'd have gotten to higher phases than they did.

For what it's worth, someone may not be updating this anymore. MK has reached Phase 1 in recent years. I know it did in 2018 at least twice. We were there when the announcement came on MDE
Here's information from Touring Plans about phased closures and when they have happened:

Phase 1 Closure
Casual visitors are turned away at the automobile toll plazas. This means that people without tickets, those with one-day, single-park tickets, and those intending to use cast member passes will not be allowed to park.
  • Annual Passholders
The following are dates within the past 10 years when Walt Disney World parks have reached, yet not gone past, a Phase 1 capacity closure:
  • Magic Kingdom: December 25, 26, and 29, 2014; December 31, 2015; December 31, 2017
Phase 2 Closure
  • Annual Passholders
The following are dates within the past 10 years when Walt Disney World parks have reached, yet not gone past, a Phase 2 capacity closure:
  • Magic Kingdom: April 8 and 9, 2009; December 28 and 30, 2009; December 29, 2010; December 25 and 28, 2011; December 24, 25, and 30, 2012; December 25 and 30, 2013; July 4, 2014; December 31, 2014.
Phase 3 Closure
  • Annual Passholders
The following are dates within the past 10 years when Walt Disney World parks have reached, yet not gone past, a Phase 3 capacity closure:
  • Magic Kingdom: April 7, 2009; December 29 and 31, 2009; March 30, 2010; December 25 and 31, 2010; December 31, 2011; December 27, 28, and 31, 2012; January 2, 2013; March 25-28, 2013; July 4, 2013; December 31, 2013.
Phase 4 Closure
The park and parking lot are closed to all arriving guests. The only Phase 4 Closure in the past 10 years has been Magic Kingdom on April 7, 2009.

BTW, I've done NYE and 7/4 around the parks the last two years (didn't do 7/4 this year) and they stick out as some of the best time we've spent at WDW.

Is it crowded, YES, absolutely.

Is it as crazy and chaotic as what it may sound like on the Internet? No, not really.

Reality for many is somewhere in the middle - it's never as good as the most positive post and it's never as bad as the most scathing commentary.

BTW, I've done NYE and 7/4 around the parks the last two years (didn't do 7/4 this year) and they stick out as some of the best time we've spent at WDW.

Is it crowded, YES, absolutely.

Is it as crazy and chaotic as what it may sound like on the Internet? No, not really.

Reality for many is somewhere in the middle - it's never as good as the most positive post and it's never as bad as the most scathing commentary.
100% agreed. It's no nightmare even though it is peak crowds. My thought on it is mainly due to the crowd control techniques they implement. Directional arrows at Epcot, for example, and opening back passageways that aren't always used. Without these techniques, I think it would be unpleasant. With them, you feel like you are in half the crowds that you are.

Still, there are areas that are wall to wall people with no pavement visible. I've never felt in danger, like I do using Marta after a game at the old GA Dome, for example. THAT is when I felt like my life was in danger if I'd fallen down.

100% agreed. It's no nightmare even though it is peak crowds. My thought on it is mainly due to the crowd control techniques they implement. Directional arrows at Epcot, for example, and opening back passageways that aren't always used. Without these techniques, I think it would be unpleasant. With them, you feel like you are in half the crowds that you are.

Still, there are areas that are wall to wall people with no pavement visible. I've never felt in danger, like I do using Marta after a game at the old GA Dome, for example. THAT is when I felt like my life was in danger if I'd fallen down.

Actually, I've posted this in the past so someone could probably find it and use it against me... but the only time I've felt it getting towards that "danger" crowded level was 7/3/2017 heading into MK about 10-20 mins after the fireworks. Around the Plaza/Casey's area of Main Street. That was one of those few times where it was literally jam packed / not moving / what if something 'did' happen kind of moments where your mind races a bit. Plus the heat of the day and so many people! :-)

I wasn't around then, but I wonder if they used backstage areas 10 years ago. Heck, MK opens that employee parking lot behind Tomorrowland at times on those peak days now.

Phase 1 Closure
  • Annual Passholders
Phase 2 Closure
  • Annual Passholders
Phase 3 Closure
  • Annual Passholders
Phase 4 Closure

Thanks for these fascinating stats! The busiest I’ve ever seen the park in all of the years I’ve been going (at least annually since 1983) was the week between Christmas and New Year, 2009. (Phases 2 and 3 reached that week according to your list!) I swore I’d never go back near Christmastime after that!

I also agree I'd be cautious of throwing around what is being quoted above as absolute fact. Doesn't really match what I've seen. Google MK capacity phases and you'll come away with a variety of different info, definitions, etc.

It's an inefficiently tracked data set as the rules change/morph as we go, a park (mainly MK) can go in/out of a phased closure quickly, and Disney can do what they see fit at that moment in time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter