Paris 2024 Olympics / Paralympics & DLP - Things to note

SuperMuscleMan

Superman Cosplayer, Filmaker, Gym & Rugby Dude
With the Olympics this year I expect more American and international visitors. When we had London 2012 London itself in the weeks leading up to, during and after saw a decrease in visitor numbers and a huge increase in prices.

Although a different league nearby (comparrible distance of DLP to Central Paris) Theme park Thorpe Park saw a huge decline in visitor numbers even though it had a massive new investment from the ride SWARM. This was attributed to the Olympics. Other attractions reported this too.

It's been announced that the cost of Metro and train travel will DOUBLE. Source: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...oQFnoECCoQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2UN1W_1Yz3zdZkudkVM8yS

For anyone who's not been around during modern Olympics road travel is very difficult. (Olympic lanes are created for officials only) Lots of attractions and locations will have additional security and could be completely closed.

This could all be a positive for a trip to DLP or a negative so please bare in mind when planning a trip from USA.

It's also worth pointing out to American visitors that in Europe and in many other parts of the world the Paralympics are just a big a deal and those dates fall after the main Olympics. (Not just a highlights package!!!!) These athletes are given just as much respect.i

It would be good to also note security will be super tight and cuts to numbers have already been made twice: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...cQFnoECCwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1rLpwYuSW8Pe1ln_nnMZJD

Eurostar has warned of issues when going to London because of the extra traffic.. alot of people are basing themselves in London and going to Paris on almost a daily basis.

If your visiting have fun but it could swing either way. It will be interesting to see what Disney does during the events.. I expect the drones will play apart!

Keep this updated for advice for travelers.

Last edited:
Although a different league nearby (comparrible distance of DLP to Central Paris) Theme park Thorpe Park saw a huge decline in visitor numbers even though it had a massive new investment from the ride SWARM. This was attributed to the Olympics. Other attractions reported this too.
Yeah, I have heard how certain tourist areas in cities that hosted the Olympics in the past were basically dead, while everyone was prepared for huge crowds.

I am sure there will be some people who go to the Olympics and will squeeze in a trip to DLP. But I think it is less than DLP hopes and I think there will be more regular visitors will avoid going this Summer season.

Yeah, I have heard how certain tourist areas in cities that hosted the Olympics in the past were basically dead, while everyone was prepared for huge crowds.

I am sure there will be some people who go to the Olympics and will squeeze in a trip to DLP. But I think it is less than DLP hopes and I think there will be more regular visitors will avoid going this Summer season.
I think it could be empty, but maybe families of athletes…I coul see them going to DLP.

We originally planned on going during the Olympics because my 50th birthday is the weekend of the opening ceremonies and my husband’s company is a major sponsor. My hubby said we could have gotten into some events. Then we looked at flights from eastern USA to Paris…nope! So expensive! Hotels, too! We are now going in late September.

Just for a reference: My husband and I are arriving in Paris on July 21st. We have a service picking us up from CDG and going to Chantilly for a couple of hours, then dropping us off at Disneyland Hotel.

We will be at Disney until July 24th, then we head over to Paris until August 11th for the Olympics. At first, we had planned to do Disney after the Olympics but I didn't want to do Disney exhausted so we switched. We have friends who are doing Disney immediately after the Olympics, and we have other friends that will just do Disney as a daytrip from Paris during the Olympics (if I love it and have the time, I might join them too).
So just in my group of friends - everyone is doing something different regarding their Disney trip.

This will be our 6th Olympics, and we are very excited!

We'll be there in the middle of June. Do you think the Olympic effects will extend that far in advance?

We'll be there in the middle of June. Do you think the Olympic effects will extend that far in advance?
I think it's hard to predict - there may be some limited effect. Locals and others may be pushing their visits to avoid the Olympic period. However, as others have posted, sometimes the Olympics has the reverse effect (for example, for the London Olympics many attractions saw a sharp decline in crowds before and after the events as everyone concentrated their trip plans to coincide with the games.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter