• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Parents that let their children run down the hallways like animals are awful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneralTso

DIS Veteran
I mean to tell you, I am a very chill individual but I came *THISCLOSE* to having a "get off my lawn" moment.

We had a very lovely stateroom (9th deck/Fantasy) and it was very quiet. Lucked out with great neighbors, etc. But the kids running up and down the halls was ridiculous. We weren't even that close to the stairs but they were tearing up and down stairs too. I don't understand parents that don't tell their kids not to do that. How can they now know how much racket and noise that produces?

Kids are kids. They are just having fun. If they don't know any better, they just keep doing it.
I did not expect peace and quiet on a Disney cruise for heaven sake, but the racket in the halls was ridiculous.

Did you have your stateroom door open? I can't say that I have ever heard loud noises from the hallway while in my room.

I mean to tell you, I am a very chill individual but I came *THISCLOSE* to having a "get off my lawn" moment.

We had a very lovely stateroom (9th deck/Fantasy) and it was very quiet. Lucked out with great neighbors, etc. But the kids running up and down the halls was ridiculous. We weren't even that close to the stairs but they were tearing up and down stairs too. I don't understand parents that don't tell their kids not to do that. How can they now know how much racket and noise that produces?

Kids are kids. They are just having fun. If they don't know any better, they just keep doing it.
I did not expect peace and quiet on a Disney cruise for heaven sake, but the racket in the halls was ridiculous.
I stopped a kid (same one) a couple of times late at night running down the passageway on our last cruise. Just asked him to stop, and reminded him that people were sleeping. Don't how much it helped, but it made me feel better knowing that I did what I could. But he should have known better, he was around 12 years old.

This happens to us EVERYWHERE we go. We joke at this point that it's a curse that is following us.

The worst are the kids who run up and down and BACK and forth, over and over again to "let off some steam." At the last hotel we stayed at where this happened, the kids were literally doing that at 7am, for over 15 minutes, in their pajamas. Their parents could be heard saying "on your marks, get set...GO!"

I seriously considered sticking my foot out the door to trip them up...

I have resorted to asking for rooms at the ends of hallways or around corners. I only sometimes get lucky.

We lucked out on our first cruise with hallway noise, but our connecting door neighbours had a kid who would scream on top of his lungs when they come back to their room late at night. It wasn't a baby either. Luckily it only woke me up, who is apparently the only light sleeper in my family. Kids in the hallway though... ugh. My teacher face would come out and I wouldn't be able to restrain myself. ;)

This happens to us EVERYWHERE we go. We joke at this point that it's a curse that is following us.

The worst are the kids who run up and down and BACK and forth, over and over again to "let off some steam." At the last hotel we stayed at where this happened, the kids were literally doing that at 7am, for over 15 minutes, in their pajamas. Their parents could be heard saying "on your marks, get set...GO!"

I seriously considered sticking my foot out the door to trip them up...

I have resorted to asking for rooms at the ends of hallways or around corners. I only sometimes get lucky.

That is definitely where I'd stick my head out and say "You do know there is a running/walking track on Deck 4? Please use that or the sports court for your kids' races." And if it continued, I would be making a call to guest services.

I've had worse issues with grandmas than kids.

Screaming grandma yelling back for whatever was forgotten is the bane of my sleep.

That is definitely where I'd stick my head out and say "You do know there is a running/walking track on Deck 4? Please use that or the sports court for your kids' races." And if it continued, I would be making a call to guest services.

This was at a Great Wolf Lodge! I mean, give it 2 hours and the kids would be running around a water park, for goodness sake! They should have been saving up that energy!

Of course my door was not open! These were just annoying kids running down the halls top speed and you could not help but hear/feel it.
People were talking super loud and yelling down the hall but that's the same as hotels. Some people just don't realize there are other rooms.
A friend of mine is a frequent cruiser and she advised us to never book a room near the kids clubs, especially tween and teen.

We were mid-ship and it was great. Well, other than the running kids :hyper2:

After 8 cruises, we have had very few kids doing this continually. We usually get forward staterooms high enough that you avoid the kids areas. Sometimes we can hear them above us or in the hallway, but it normally stops around bedtime. As mentioned above, we also get this in hotels. When we first got married and lived in married student housing in college, we were on the bottom floor of a two-floor apartment. The folks above had a little one learning how to walk in a rolling walker (since banned for safety reasons). We would hear him/her for an hour (no carpeting) or so each night and could tell which part of the living room he/she was in. When you live around kids, they tend to enter your lives, like it or not. Now, about having a verandah on deck 8 Wonder during the Alaska cruise and having smokers just above and forward of you ruining your glacier viewing experience. Happened to us two months ago. I'll take the kids.

This was at a Great Wolf Lodge! I mean, give it 2 hours and the kids would be running around a water park, for goodness sake! They should have been saving up that energy!

Ah. Is there a running track/trail there?

Now, about having a verandah on deck 8 Wonder during the Alaska cruise and having smokers just above and forward of you ruining your glacier viewing experience. Happened to us two months ago. I'll take the kids.

This is exactly why I felt "lucky" with our room location. That would tick me off no end. I'm sorry that you drew the short straw on that one.

OP, this is my biggest pet peeve. The problem is when you leave your room, you feel like the rest of the world is up, no matter what time it is. I have taught my kids since they were little, that every hour of the day someone is sleeping on this cruise or in this hotel. Be respectful and walk quietly, and do not talk loudly in the corridors. Kids will be kids, I remember. But they won't learn unless you repeat it over and over.

This. And if my kid were ever running in the halls (and I wasn't present for whatever reason), I would hope that someone would remind them to be courteous!

I once had that in an airplane, there were two ales and the kinds were running in circles, on a 10 hour flight. The crew asked them to stop repeatedly, I managed to stick my foot out and floor two of them. Nothing helped, they just kept on running.... It was only 1 adult traveling with I think up to 8 or 9 kids, I think she was the unlucky one who had to take the expat kids to their grandparents at the start of the summer holiday (because it was).

We have had this issue a couple of times..... worst is when the kids run by screaming and then a few seconds later mom and dad come past yelling out to the kids ahead, I mean really?!?!?

I have this conversation with my grandkids every time we are walking in a hallway whether a cruise or hotel corridor please be quiet people might be sleeping and walk next to me.... easy peasy. I know they are loud, its the Italian/Cuban mix in them its not their fault. :rotfl:

agree with all, I think that if you try to get cabin numers then keep complaning to guest services maybe that would help, but I llike sticking my foot out or better yet, open the door wide just as they are running bye pirate:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter