Paradise and Magic..All Rolled into One Vacation! UD3/28 A Top 10 Wrap Up

Oh no! I would definitely be stressing out too!:eek: Okay...now I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens!!popcorn::

Hooray for getting off to the airport on time. I like the idea of Green Cat and can't wait to see where all he ends up.

You are scaring me with this delayed takeoff. Please don't hold us in suspense too terribly long.

I was trying so hard to keep it together...I'll let you all off the hook soon, I promise!

Hey! Missy
I can see why you are so nervous about the flight...I would have been in tears along with you!....waiting for more!
:wave2: Connie

Poor Jeff was trying to keep me positive...what a good guy! :goodvibes

Great start!
I feel like I'm sitting on that plane stressing out with you... hurry up and get to Florida so I can relax :rotfl:

Hi and Welcome! I know...that's exactly how I was feeling!

Oh no! I would definitely be stressing out too!:eek: Okay...now I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens!!popcorn::

Not the best way to start what was supposed to be a stress-free vacation! Stay tuned!

Missy...great start but may I remind you your name is Missy not Kathy RN...no cliffhangers allowed :eek: now I know all is good right...

and I LOVE, LOVE the picture of you in the brown dress w/ your man on your side. You look AWESOME!

can't wait for more fun...(i hope)

J~

Missy...great start but may I remind you your name is Missy not Kathy RN...no cliffhangers allowed :eek: now I know all is good right...

and I LOVE, LOVE the picture of you in the brown dress w/ your man on your side. You look AWESOME!

can't wait for more fun...(i hope)

J~

LOL! I rarely get a good set-up for a cliffhanger so I just HAD to take advantage of this one....forgive me!

Thanks for the sweet compliment! I love that picture too....it's not often we get a nice picture of just the two of us. :love:

I was sitting in my seat, trying hard to fight back tears, when the pilot came on with this announcement. “I promised you an update, but I didn't promise it would be a good update.” :eek:

And it wasn't. :sad2:

He said that the Atlanta airport had now been CLOSED and that he would be taking us back to the airport. The weather in Atlanta was bad and they had NO idea when or IF the airport would re-open. The businessman next to me was checking the weather on his Blackberry and turned to me to show me the radar for the Atlanta area. “It doesn't look good” he says....then he looks up at me to see those tears I had been trying to hold back running down my face! :sad1: The poor guy....he quickly tried to backpedal and make me feel better. Jeff explained that we were trying to get to Orlando to make a ship by 3 pm and he assured me that we would make it by then. I don't think he realized how FRAGILE I was when he shared the weather report with me! :rolleyes:

As the plane was headed back to the gate, there was a little girl a few rows behind me having a TOTAL meltdown. She was crying and wailing. “I don't want to go back...I HATE this vacation!” Believe me little girl...I'm right there with ya! ::yes:: Jeff did his best to reassure me, but I was really upset. I knew we didn't have much time to work with and you never know when a weather delay will end. When we got back into the airport, of course everyone was scrambling to find a way to get where they were going in a timely fashion. We got in line to see if there was another flight to Orlando that we could get on. Remember that grandmother I was talking about? She was in front of us and it was obvious that she was trying to get to the same ship that we were! She asked about a different flight and the representative told her that they were making accommodations for some other passengers at the moment, but that we could come back in a few minutes and ask again. So...rather than wait for the same answer...Jeff and I sat down and tried to do some research on our own.

We got out our iPods...and thanks to a free 5 minutes of wireless service...began to search flight options. Unfortunately there was NOTHING leaving Rochester for Orlando that would get us to the ship on time. Just then, we overheard the grandmother talking to the lady at the desk again. It turns out that they had a direct flight leaving for Tampa at 8:00 that had seats available. It was scheduled to arrive in Tampa at 10:40. Jeff quickly looked up how far the drive was from Tampa to Orlando.....2 hours and 15 minutes. Not bad. :thumbsup2 He then found the phone number for Thrifty car rental in Tampa. We had our car for AFTER the cruise reserved through them so we knew they had an office in Port Canaveral. He asked about reserving a car for today...no problem....for $110. FINE....reserve it! I'd rather pay an extra $110 in order to make the ship. With all the groundwork laid, we got in line to get our tickets switched to the Tampa flight. It was now about 7:15....we should have left over an hour ago. :upsidedow

While we were in line to change our tickets....don't you know our original Atlanta flight begins to reboard! NOW WHAT? :confused3 Do we stick with Tampa or take a chance on Atlanta? :confused: We are supposed to make a connection in Atlanta that we may or may not have missed at this point. And will the airport STAY open?? :confused: When we got to the front of the line, we asked the representative and she said that it was likely that Atlanta would be open and closed off and on most of the day. At this point, we may make our connection, but the airport may close again before that flight could leave. She advised us to avoid Atlanta if at all possible. OK...decision made. As all of our original plane-mates boarded the Atlanta flight, we moved over to the next gate to wait for the plane to Tampa.

I need to give a nod to Airtran here. The nice representative at the desk assured us that our luggage would make it from one flight to the next. Both planes were getting ready to leave and we were concerned about timing. She said she would see to it. Jeff says, “you're not going to do it yourself are you?” Her response, “most likely!” And sure enough, we watched out the window as she went under the plane to the baggage area, got our luggage personally (we had written descriptions for her), and wheeled our bags to the waiting Tampa flight at the next gate! Kudos to Alanna from Airtran...she's my hero! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

At this point I am stressed but feeling better. Given the choice, I would much rather take things into my own hands than to sit at the mercy of nature and hope for the best. Now we were planning to arrive in Tampa at 10:40. That give us 4 hours to make a 2 hour drive. If all goes according to the NEW plan, we should get to the ship on time.

As we are calling my mom to let her know of our little situation, Jeff gets to talking to the grandmother and finds out that they are indeed going on the same cruise as we are. She had pre-paid for a rental car in Orlando and asked if we would be willing to drop her off at MCO to pick it up. I expressed concern over the time issue and realized that she thought we had until 4:30 to get on the ship. I told her that we needed to be on by 3 due to government regulations. (See....a little research goes a long way!) So, she agreed to forfeit her car and we agree to upgrade to a minivan, split the cost, and ride together. It's a win-win. :cheer2:

At about 7:40, we begin to board the plane for Tampa. Again...we are finally on our way! Now we are under a time crunch and feeling the stress, but at least we are headed to Florida!

Up next....Welcome to Tampa!

Wow Missy! I would have felt the same way!:sad2: That must have been so scary knowing that you only had a certain amount of time to work with.:eek: I'm so glad that you were able to get on another flight even if it meant a little rearranging in plans and....that you were finally on your way to Florida. :thumbsup2

Holy Cow! I love getting in on a TR from the beginning, but your TR had me on the egde of my seat. :scared: I was getting a knot in my stomach just listening to all the weather drama. I think you made the best decision to go to Tampa. Everytime there is a connecting flight there is more potential for problems. Take me to Tampa over Atlanta any old day.

How great that you were able to hook up with someone and split the ride. A little weird to hook up with a complete stranger, but obviously she was a kind old granny and not an axe murderer (sorry - been spending too much time on Podsnel's TR). Suddenly in a bad situation, a total stranger can become an immediate friend.

Great pictures and you are off to a great start! Looking forward to more!

Oh! Missy
even though I knew things worked out; I could not but help feel the stress along with you! and I had tears of joy when you said what Alanna did for you guys!! don't know many who go above and beyond today!
What a great way to start your trip with a set of new friends! :grouphug:

Oh my goodness! You poor things. I don't know that I would have handled the situation quite as calmly as you did.

I have to admit that when you were talking about the grandmother and splitting the cost of a mini-van, it made me think of two movies.....1) Home Alone where the mother is trying to get home and John Candy offers to give her a ride; and, 2) Planes, Trains and Automobiles when John Candy and Steve Martin agreed to rent a car together.

I can't wait to hear how your drive goes!

Darn, you need a nice relaxing cruise after that stress! Thank goodness they had a flight to tampa. I can't wait to hear more! :thumbsup2

Wow Missy! I would have felt the same way!:sad2: That must have been so scary knowing that you only had a certain amount of time to work with.:eek: I'm so glad that you were able to get on another flight even if it meant a little rearranging in plans and....that you were finally on your way to Florida. :thumbsup2

Truly I was freaking out! I wanted to cry and wail just like the little girl behind me! All that planning and anticipating and I really thought we might not make it. I'm glad we were able to get that Tampa flight too!

Holy Cow! I love getting in on a TR from the beginning, but your TR had me on the egde of my seat. :scared: I was getting a knot in my stomach just listening to all the weather drama. I think you made the best decision to go to Tampa. Everytime there is a connecting flight there is more potential for problems. Take me to Tampa over Atlanta any old day.

How great that you were able to hook up with someone and split the ride. A little weird to hook up with a complete stranger, but obviously she was a kind old granny and not an axe murderer (sorry - been spending too much time on Podsnel's TR). Suddenly in a bad situation, a total stranger can become an immediate friend.

Great pictures and you are off to a great start! Looking forward to more!

I admit it is strange to hook up with total strangers, but it just seemed like the right thing to do at the time. The grandmother (Joyce) was all alone with the two girls and we were all in the same bad situation. It just made sense to help each other out!

Oh! Missy
even though I knew things worked out; I could not but help feel the stress along with you! and I had tears of joy when you said what Alanna did for you guys!! don't know many who go above and beyond today!
What a great way to start your trip with a set of new friends! :grouphug:

We were sure to email her name to our house so we could send a proper thank you when we got home. We knew we probably wouldn't remember after a week's vacation. It was so nice to see her go the extra mile...especially when she was taking quite a bit of abuse that day with people not being happy about the weather issues.

Oh my goodness! You poor things. I don't know that I would have handled the situation quite as calmly as you did.

I have to admit that when you were talking about the grandmother and splitting the cost of a mini-van, it made me think of two movies.....1) Home Alone where the mother is trying to get home and John Candy offers to give her a ride; and, 2) Planes, Trains and Automobiles when John Candy and Steve Martin agreed to rent a car together.

I can't wait to hear how your drive goes!

LOL! First off...I wasn't really all that calm. I have to give props to my husband who handled the situation like a hero. He was able to keep a cool head and keep me calm all while making alternate flight arrangements and booking a rental car in a city we had never visited! Without him I may have freaked out!

Second...Planes, Trains and Automobiles is one of our favorite movies!! Thankfully our car ride was nothing like theirs! :lmao:

Darn, you need a nice relaxing cruise after that stress! Thank goodness they had a flight to tampa. I can't wait to hear more! :thumbsup2

Hi there and welcome! I can't tell you how ready we were to just sit and relax after the start of this trip! ;)

WOW! I really want this to turn out well you both you and the other family.

This is why I hate to fly!!:scared1: There is so much you can't control. I can't believe my DH talked me into flying.

I'm so glad that really nice lady helped you with your luggage. I've never heard a story like this before.:cloud9:

WOW! I really want this to turn out well you both you and the other family.

This is why I hate to fly!!:scared1: There is so much you can't control. I can't believe my DH talked me into flying.

I'm so glad that really nice lady helped you with your luggage. I've never heard a story like this before.:cloud9:

I actually LOVE to fly! This is the first time we've ever had any significant travel issues....figures, right? LOL!

I'm here, I'm here, I'm here for the love of all things good, I'm here! Sorry it took so long, things went from chaotic to down-right unfair in our lives!

First off, I checked my mail the other day and there was a gorgeous post card from the Bahamas!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for sending it Missy! The kids got a kick out of it!

Second, I can't believe the issues with leaving....holy moly! I would have needed about 50 xanax to keep me out of a panic attack! That is so cool about the lady splitting the van with you guys. It was a much better decision than trying to stop at MCO! I can't wait to read more!

Im thinking a trip to Buffalo is in the cards for the summer! Maybe we can do lunch!

Oh Man...Missy that is a nail bitter...crazy :scared:

so glad you got on a plane and are on your way...whew! and so nice of you to do the drive w/ the Grandmother...what a good Diser ;)

please no more Drama!

J~

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter