Palo's Chocolate Souffle

pal2pluto

Has a hidden stash of Trentino Moscato!
Now that I have your attention ;) , does anyone know where I can find a recipe of such a yummy dessert? I've searched the net, and can't find it. I've got a yearning.....................:p

Kris, during the holidays there was a recipe in our local paper that you made in the crock pot called Triple Chocolate Mess. I made this for one of the many parties that we went to and when my husband and sister took the first bite they looked at each other and said "Palo's". They thought that it tasted exactly like the Chocolate Souffle from Palo's. I'm at work at the moment so I can't give the recipe but if you're interested I can post it tomorrow. All I can remember is that it had a chocolate cake mix, sour cream, chocolate pudding mix and chocolate chips in it. They suggested serving with vanilla ice cream but it would have been awesome with that warm sauce they add at the table at Palo's.

Lori

My favorite "on-land" chocolate souffle (and it really is just as good as the one at Plao) is from Roy's Restaurant chain (a small chain based in Hawaii). I have made the recipe several times and although it is not quite as good as the restaurant version, it is very very very good. I think not having restaurant ovens etc. is the reason the at-home versions can't quite be as good - the batter itself is just wonderful.

Here is a the recipe from Roy's website. I would recommend purchasing special molds for making these if possible (we bought ours at Sur La Table for $4 each - they are basically short metal tubes - not tops or bottoms just an open tube) because they are hard to remove from ramekins even with parchment and butter. Either way though, they are yummy!!!!!!!

Roy's Chocolate Souffle

Yield: 4 servings

This is the all-time, absolute favorite of my daughter, Nicole. Casey Logsdon, our pastry chef at Roy’s Kahana Bar & Grill on Maui, has perfected this recipe to the point where frequent visitors to the island claim they return just for this soufflé. We’ve made things easier for them now, by also serving this dessert in Honolulu. This recipe is best when started the day before so the chocolate mixture can rest overnight in the refrigerator. If you prefer, you can bake the whole recipe in a small casserole dish and serve it at the table, or make the individual soufflés in ramekins. We make our individual chocolate soufflés in metal rings.

Ingredients
6 tbsp. Unsalted Butter
4 oz. Semi-sweet Chocolate
1/2 cup Sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. Cornstarch
2 Eggs plus 2 egg yolks

In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and chocolate together. Set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar and cornstarch. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and yolks together. Add the melted butter-chocolate mixture to the sugar mixture and combine thoroughly with a wire whisk. Stir in the eggs and whisk just until smooth. Place in the refrigerator overnight. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Line 4 metal rings (about 2_ inches across and 2 inches high) with greased parchment paper. (Alternatively, use 6 smaller molds). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set the molds on the sheet. Scoop the mixture into the molds so they are two-thirds full, and make sure the molds are not leaking.
Bake on the top oven rack for 20 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven, and, while holding each mold with tongs, slide a metal spatula underneath, carefully lift, and transfer to a serving plate. Gently lift off the mold and remove the parchment paper. Serve immediately.

My first experience with chocolate souffle was at the califorina grill at the contemporary resort. I think they change their souffle type regularly now but here is a link with a bunch of recipes from the contemporary, including their tried and true chocolate souffle (which is very similar to Palo's souffle)

Recipes from the Contemporary

Lisa

Lori 1035 .... The Triple Chocolate Mess sounds wonderful and easy , I'll be looking for your receipe.Thanks ! Gina

Here's the recipe that tastes a lot like Palo's Chocolate Souffle:

Slow Cooker
Triple chocolate mess

1 (18.25-oz.) chocolate cake mix, any type

2 cups sour cream

1 (3.4-oz.) pkg. instant chocolate pudding

1 (6-oz.) bag chocolate chips

3/4 cup oil

4 eggs

1 cup water

Ice cream, if desired

Chocolate chips for garnish, if desired

Spray crockery insert with nonstick cooking spray. Mix all ingredients except ice cream and chocolate chips for garnish and pour into slow cooker. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours. Do not lift the lid.
Spoon dessert into individual bowls and top with ice cream. You can also sprinkle on extra chocolate chips for garnish.
Serves 6-8.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did! My husband and I are cruising next week and I'll have a souffle Thursday night thinking of all of you!

Lori

Yippee:bounce: !! Now I have someplace to start!!! Thanks Y'all!!!;)

Lori...thanks so much for the choc receipe, can't wait to try it !! And motherhen, I would love to have the creme brulee receipe. Now when am I going to start that diet ???

Here is the recipe for Creme Brulee. Just a note- I use a blow torch for the sugar top. I found if you use the oven to melt the sugar, it tends to also make the creme brulee runny. Enjoy!

Crème Brulée
16 egg yolks
4 whole eggs
1 pound sugar
2 vanilla beans
1 quart milk
1 quart heavy cream (I use ½ quart half and half and ½ quart heavy cream)
fresh raspberries and mint leaves for garnish
granulated sugar for crust

Serves 10
Pre-heat oven to 325° F. In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, egg yolks and sugar and mix well using a whisk.
In a large saucepan combine the vanilla beans, cream and milk and bring them to a boil. Pour the boiling liquid over the egg/sugar batter and mix well. Strain the mixture through a sieve and fill 10 ramekins 3/4 full. Place the custard cups in a large oven proof baking dish(es) and fill the baking dish with hot water to 3/4 of the way up the sides of the ramekins (this helps the custard to cook more evenly). Bake for about 30 minutes or until a small sharp knife inserted into the custard come out clean. Remove custards from the oven, then refrigerate until completely chilled.
There are two methods for making the burnt sugar crust. The first and easiest is to use a small blowtorch. The second uses no special equipment, just the broiler in your oven. Spoon a small thin layer of sugar evenly over the surface of the custard. This layer should 1/8 – ¼ inch thick and it should be even with no spots thicker or thinner than others. Use your fingers to smooth the layer of sugar.
If using a blowtorch, simply use the flame to quickly caramelize the layer of sugar. If using the broiler, place the custard cups about 8 inches below the heat source. Leave the door open slightly so that you can watch the cups. Do not leave, for the sugar will caramelize very quickly (usually in about a minute or two). Broil until the sugar is completely melted.
Cool to room temperature and chill until ready to serve. Garnish with fresh raspberries and fresh mint leaves.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter