Palo question? Worth it?

severtlaw

Earning My Ears
We are taking our first cruise in march. I made reservationsvtoday for Palo but the only available time was 630 on the first day? Is it worth it? Where do my kids eat? Will i miss a dinner show? Our cruise is only for 3 nights so i really am concerned about missing family time and gettingba good start to the trip.

If you have never cruised dcl you will miss one of the restaurants in your dining rotation. The kids can eat with the kids club, from room service, at the buffet or by the pool.

If it was me, on my first cruise and a 3 day to boot, i would skip Palo..a longer cruise it is a wonderful time without the kids just you and your honey.. but a 3 night is way to short to miss any of the dining rooms and the kids reactions to them..

My first Disney cruise I went to Palo's the first night and I didn't enjoy it at all. We got all dressed up and that was fun but when it came down to it I did end up missing out on a resterant. I think it might have been better if it was a longer cruise but with a 3 night it is just to short and you miss something. Also even if there is a resterant that you didn't mind missing you don't know for sure that is the rotation that you are going to get so I would skip it this time and then have something new to do next time

If you get a later reservation can you sit at main dinner with your kids to see the rotational restaurant, then check them into the Kids Club and head up to Palo? Seems like I read about that somewhere, but I've never done it.

To each his own I guess but I think to share the rotational dining experience as a family is great for your first Disney Cruise.:dance3: You can do Palo on your next cruise (Yes you will go back...its addictive);)
We did not do Palo until our 8th Cruise (Yep we are addicted) and then it was Brunch. That was great. The experience is first class. And the Blue Cheese and Grape Pizza:love:
We did Palo for Dinner on our 10th Cruise and to be quite honest although the service was superb, the atmosphere very romantic and we really enjoyed the overall experience we both thought the food quality left a lot to be desired. Nice but not our type of cuisine. Guess some people love it but from here on out it's Brunch for us. Plus We want to try High Tea.
Sad they don't offer that on the 3 day cruises
The whole experience of the family dining and the rotation with the same servers is one not to be missed IMHO. To see the servers remember the childs likes and dislikes is neat.
We go on the Dream in March and July so we will be at regular dining since we have a nice new experience. But July..... Oooh Blue Cheese and Grape Pizza here I come :rotfl:

To each his own I guess but I think to share the rotational dining experience as a family is great for your first Disney Cruise.:dance3: You can do Palo on your next cruise (Yes you will go back...its addictive);)
We did not do Palo until our 8th Cruise (Yep we are addicted) and then it was Brunch. That was great. The experience is first class. And the Blue Cheese and Grape Pizza:love:
We did Palo for Dinner on our 10th Cruise and to be quite honest although the service was superb, the atmosphere very romantic and we really enjoyed the overall experience we both thought the food quality left a lot to be desired. Nice but not our type of cuisine. Guess some people love it but from here on out it's Brunch for us. Plus We want to try High Tea.
Sad they don't offer that on the 3 day cruises
The whole experience of the family dining and the rotation with the same servers is one not to be missed IMHO. To see the servers remember the childs likes and dislikes is neat.
We go on the Dream in March and July so we will be at regular dining since we have a nice new experience. But July..... Oooh Blue Cheese and Grape Pizza here I come :rotfl:

We are going on the Dream too in March and July, BUT, its this March and July 2012! :(

March is a 3 night with wife and I ONLY so we are doing Palo and Remy with perhaps room service in the suite for the intimate romantic experience ... but on the family cruise (5 night) we will make sure we experience the "new" restaurants in the rotational dining with Palo and maybe Remy for the nights the restaurants repeat

what if it was a 3 night cruise with just you and your spouse on a getaway?

No, I still wouldn't. I mean, I love Palo, but the answer to the original question.....whether I think it's worth it on a 3 day cruise, especially the first night....is no.

One of the things I love about DCL is the rotational dining and meeting the servers. There are other things I personally would do to increase alone time on a getaway, like a couples spa treatment or lots of time in the cabin with a bottle of champagne. :lmao: Room service breakfast in bed would be another. But I personally would want to experience each of the restaurants for dinner. JMHO.

And this coming from someone who would do almost anything for a chocolate souffle.....

No, I still wouldn't. I mean, I love Palo, but the answer to the original question.....whether I think it's worth it on a 3 day cruise, especially the first night....is no.

One of the things I love about DCL is the rotational dining and meeting the servers. There are other things I personally would do to increase alone time on a getaway, like a couples spa treatment or lots of time in the cabin with a bottle of champagne. :lmao: Room service breakfast in bed would be another. But I personally would want to experience each of the restaurants for dinner. JMHO.

And this coming from someone who would do almost anything for a chocolate souffle.....

I certainly respect your opinion. My 3 day March cruise on Dream is more like a second honeymoon where wife and I haven't been away alone (for more than one night) in a decade ... For us, we are doing Palo on second night, Remy on third. For this particular cruise we want tables for 2 and not be seated with strangers for dinner. When we go as family of 5 with the kids, different story entirely

The OP's situation is probably not like mine. Probably best for them to do the rotation this time and save other dining options for another or longer cruise :)

If you get a later reservation can you sit at main dinner with your kids to see the rotational restaurant, then check them into the Kids Club and head up to Palo? Seems like I read about that somewhere, but I've never done it.

Yes you can. And we plan on doing just that. O/P if I was you I would make that reservation. Then when you get on board go and change it to a later time. That way you can sit with your kids in the regular restaurant and enjoy it with them. Then check them into the kids club and go and have your dinner at Palo.

I certainly respect your opinion. My 3 day March cruise on Dream is more like a second honeymoon where wife and I haven't been away alone (for more than one night) in a decade ... For us, we are doing Palo on second night, Remy on third. For this particular cruise we want tables for 2 and not be seated with strangers for dinner. When we go as family of 5 with the kids, different story entirely

The OP's situation is probably not like mine. Probably best for them to do the rotation this time and save other dining options for another or longer cruise :)

That sounds delightful!! Of course, now that you mention it....if this were just hubs and me I think we might try a different cruise line.....so hard to imagine DCL without the kids!!

But I hope you both have an UNFORGETTABLE time!!

That sounds delightful!! Of course, now that you mention it....if this were just hubs and me I think we might try a different cruise line.....so hard to imagine DCL without the kids!!

But I hope you both have an UNFORGETTABLE time!!

Thanks! I'm sure we will! We have only cruised twice, love DCL and are enamored with the new ship from everything we have seen - I can see DCL without the kids :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter