Palo or Pirate Night?

Twitterpaited

Mouseketeer
Trying to decide between dinner at Palo or Pirate Night in MDR. First time on DCL and going with my niece and nephews, ages 3-7. Could possibly be only cruise together. Thoughts?

Since this is your first time doing DCL I wouldn’t worry about Palo. . Stick with the Mdr and enjoy. Also you don’t want to leave your family

Last edited:

I would make Pirate Night the priority. Pirate Night is unique to DCL, an upscale dinner can be enjoyed anytime.

In August we are going on our 5th Disney Cruise. Just DH and myself. We are specifically planning Palo dinner on Pirate night. Because....5th cruise....just us. All our other cruises were with our tween daughter though and we would not have missed Pirate night with her for all the treasure in the Caribbean. So, like others have said - skip Palo and go get your pirate on. pirate:

I agree. Go all out for Pirate night. We are just off the Dream for a 4 night cruise, mom, dad and 24 YO son. We enjoyed Palo but probably Wouldn’t do it again. With upcharge, bottle of wine and tip we left $260. Surely we could dine nicely off ship for that price. We weren’t too worried about the price, but for your group I think Pirates is a better idea. If you can squeak out a little adult time, I do recommend a visit to Meridian lounge. Great view and great bartenders.

Why not time your palo reservation to match the MDR dining times? They do not schedule any pirate night events during the MDR dining times. Instead they have events in between the dining times (i.e., around 7/7:30) and after second dining (i.e., after 9:30) So a reservation at 5:45 or 8:15 should allow you to enjoy palo, and then go to the pirate festivities with your kids afterwards.

I would say try to do both if you can. Do you have main dining? You may be able to go to dinner at the MDR with the kids and make a 7pm Palo reservation if you tell your server that you are trying to do both.

We always make our Palo reservation for Pirate night. We're not fond of the pirate night menu. That being said, being this is your first DCL cruise, I would definitely go to the MDR. On your next cruise (I'm going to make the assumption that there will be a next one), if you didn't care for it, or feel like once was enough, then you can do Palo on pirate night.

If you have small children.. you have to do the Pirate Night. There is a show for the kids and the fireworks after. Palo is more for an adult time. We did Palo on Pirate (DH and I) and he still wanted to go to Pirate Night. Everyone dresses up and enjoys the time together.

If I had small kids with me I would do dinner on pirate night. We are trying Palo on our pirate night (also a CC double dip) but it is just the two of us and it is our anniversary. We should be out of Palo by 830 so we did get new pirate T shirts to hit the party afterwards.

Trying to decide between dinner at Palo or Pirate Night in MDR. First time on DCL and going with my niece and nephews, ages 3-7. Could possibly be only cruise together. Thoughts?
I would not worry about Palo. On your first cruise, the MDR will blow you away (as they will on subsequent cruises as well). However, Pirate Night is too special of an evening for the little ones. Honestly, I would not miss the MDR on Pirate Night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter