Packing Food to WDW Florida

FatCow

<font color=purple>FatCow is a dude<br><font color
We're planning (and have packed) our food for breakfasts, snacks, and partial dinners at WDW Florida. I know that ALL of our food are compliant to the rules and regulation.

HOWEVER, now that there is this new rule in the US (something like you can't bring in Canadian Maple Syrup if the company doesn't already sell and registered that particular brand and type of food to the FDA).

Now I'm concerned that NONE of the food will be compliant.

I'll be bringing instant noodles, Lipton Cup-a-Soup, throat lozenges and snacks I bought from Australia, vitamins I bought from Costco (that I know are not being sold in the US under the same brand-name).

Also I'm not bringing in small quantities. I'm talking about close to 40 packages of noodles of different flavours and brands (these are for 3 people's meals for 7 days).

Anybody have any clue whether this will pose a problem? Or does the new regulation only affects food not for personal consumption?

TIA

FC, as far as I understand it, all packaged food items must now be pre-registered before they are brought into, or mailed to, the U.S.

From the FDA website;

"Under the prior notice regulation issued, prior notice must be provided for food products entering the United States beginning December 12, 2003. Prior notice can be provided in one of two ways:"

Here's the link if you wish to read further and check out how to register your food items.

It may be easier to buy your groceries once you cross the border. Not registering your food could result in it being confiscated, or perhaps even you being denied entry into the U.S..

U.S. FDA

The link doesn't work, though.

What is US thinking? We have to buy everything in the US now?

I won't have time to purchase anything in the US, besides most probably they won't have real noodles over there. Americanized noodles are not noodles.

:mad:

Thank you for the link.

I've sent an e-mail to them asking the actual rules and regulation for food-for-personal-consumption (not as a gift and/or resale).

Bringing food from Canada vs buying it there means US$250 difference in expenditure. Something that I can not take lightly.

Wow that scared the heck out of me!!!

From reading the information on the link it seems as long as you are bringing the food across the border for personal consumption it is exempt. However if you were planning on sending it via the mail you could be in trouble.

We travel to the US all the time and frequently bring "travel snacks" with us.

Allison

Originally posted by FatCow
The link doesn't work, though.

What is US thinking? We have to buy everything in the US now?

I won't have time to purchase anything in the US, besides most probably they won't have real noodles over there. Americanized noodles are not noodles.

:mad:

I have to ask... What's the difference between American and Canadian noodles :)

You may very well be right, Allison. :) My apologies for "scaring the heck" out of you, or FC. I find the entire site to be rather confusing.

This is from the Question & Answer page, on Prior Notice of Imported Food, #24.

~Are there any exceptions from the prior notice requirements?

Yes. Prior notice is not required for:

1. Food for an individual's personal use (i.e., for consumption by the individual, family, or friends, and not for sale or other distribution) when it is carried by or otherwise accompanies the individual when arriving in the United States;~

Perhaps you can enjoy your own Canadian bought noodles afterall, FC. :) Once again, I apologize.

Kim

Not American vs Canadian Noodles. They are one and the same.
They are both Americanized noodles ;)

The noodles I'm bringing from Canada are noodles manufactured in Japan, Indonesia and Hong Kong, legally imported to Canada and bought by Canadians.

Every one of my friend swears by them (and none of them is Asian). LOL!

The only flavour anbody should avoid regardless of the noodles' origin (Americanized or 'True' Asian) is the Shrimp Flavour. To me, that can be classified as "mystery flavour" :teeth:

In the mean time, I will keep investigating the matter.

Yaay !!! :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :tongue: :hyper: :tongue: :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Thank you very much for the info.

I've bookmarked the info and going to print it out just in case I'll get into trouble at border check.

Thank you again!

:wave:

I just flew home to the US from Winnipeg yesterday, and had with me (and declared) a box of Ritz Crackers, and a Family Pack of Tim Bits. No problems with either.

As long as the foods are processed, and you leave the meats and meat products, and fresh fruits and veggies home, you'll be fine.

They were actually more concerned in verifying that the wine I was bringing in was store bought and not home made.

Anne

Not American vs Canadian Noodles. They are one and the same.
They are both Americanized noodles ;)

The noodles I'm bringing from Canada are noodles manufactured in Japan, Indonesia and Hong Kong, legally imported to Canada and bought by Canadians.

Every one of my friend swears by them (and none of them is Asian). LOL!

The only flavour anbody should avoid regardless of the noodles' origin (Americanized or 'True' Asian) is the Shrimp Flavour. To me, that can be classified as "mystery flavour" :teeth:

In the mean time, I will keep investigating the matter.

Oh okay :) For some reason, I was thinking of pasta and spaghetti.

The one I find disturbing is the one described as "oriental flavour". To me that begs a number of questions that I'm not sure I want the answers to.

Ciao,
Mort.

Originally posted by Mortlives
The one I find disturbing is the one described as "oriental flavour". To me that begs a number of questions that I'm not sure I want the answers to.

Ciao,
Mort.

Yeah! what IS that?

We just crossed at Fort Erie to come back home, and the one question they asked (aside from Citizenship and where you live) is "do you have any food?" We didn't as we were flying, but until we told customs that, he was quite interested that we didn't have anything! I think he had that, "let's just have a look see..." look!
Friend's recently got their packed lunch (sandwiches, etc) taken away. From what I heard packaged food should be OK, but I wouldn't specify that your noodles aren't originally from N.A., unless asked.
They are just being extremely picky where food is concerned lately :confused:

My husband had broccoli and cauliflower, plus we had turkey sandwiches, we told the Custom Officer about it an no problem!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter