overweight, out of shape and depressed

babywewe

Mouseketeer
Sigh, going to disney in two montha dn i'm overweight, out of shape and depressed. I'm not sure i have the energy to go to disney and enjoy it (in the fl sun on top of it). I'm still young and would like to feel young....

I need to get fit for disney in two months... I'm not talking lossing a ton of weight...just building some stamina and endurance.

advice, tips , inspiration?

I'm not sure where you live, but if it's practical, why not start taking a daily walk outside? No need to run a marathon, just tie on some shoes and start with a walk around the block. Build up from there.

The good news is that exercise and natural sunlight are both great depression-busters! You'll be feeling better in no time.

Best of luck to you!

i second the walking suggestion! be sure to treat yourself to good supportive sturdy walking shoes for your new healthy habit!

i bet you can make a difference in two months -- once your walking habit is 'norm' for you, add another new healthy habit, like maybe switching out one of your snacks for a healthy one or drinking 8 glasses of water each day.

it can be overwhelming when you look at the big picture so make baby steps/small changes gradually and than pat yourself on the back when those changes are routine. WISH is a great place to find accountability and motivation! now follow the link in my signature where you can read about this board and grab yourself some WISH clipart, be proud of your decision to get healthy!

You can do quite a bit in two months, just get moving!! Do exercise, clean up your eating. I second that walking is great for you, and second that exercise & sunlight will help you not be depressed! You can do it!

I was in the same position as you - 2 1/2 months to a trip to Disney and I wanted to lose weight and enjoy. I joined Weight Watchers and started walking - not every day, or power walking mind you, but a little at a time. Well, now only 7 weeks later I'm down 13 lbs, my clothes are getting big on me :woohoo: and I still have another 36 days of losing to go. Where there's a will, there's a way and you can't find any better inspiration for me then thinking about chasing my two kids around Magic Kingdom :rotfl: !!! I set a goal for myself of losing 20 lbs before we leave....we'll see!!! Then the goal is going to be keeping it off while we're there ;) !!! Good luck!

babywewe said:
Thanks so much. This has been my life struggle. :(
Me too, hon. Me too. I went to WDW over Christmas, and was so appalled by the pics (most of which I Photoshopped myself out of :sad2: ) that upon returning home, I joined a gym and Weight Watchers. 26 lbs so far :cheer2: . And, the first 2 weeks show the greatest loss, so you can get a big headstart on the rest of your life right now...and give yourself some guidelines for eating around the World (THAT was a toughie for me). Plus, you're in a position where you HAVE to exercise throughout your vacation! Go, you!

I have the same problem. My son passed away this past winter and I didn't know how I would make it through one day to the next for awhile, much less ever go back to Disney with so many memories of him there. I know that he would not want me to feel this way, so I decided to put one foot in front of the other and start walking. It has sure helped my depression and has given me hope for tomorrow. We are taking his fiancee with us to WDW in November and I know he would be pleased.
Maybe you and I can be an encouragement to one another.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Suzi_Q. I can completely understand not knowing how you'll make it through the day. I'm so happy you've been able to keep moving, despite your sorrow. Enjoy your trip to Disney, I'm sure your son would want you to have a wonderful time. :hug:

UrsulasShadow said:
Me too, hon. Me too. I went to WDW over Christmas, and was so appalled by the pics (most of which I Photoshopped myself out of :sad2: ) that upon returning home, I joined a gym and Weight Watchers. 26 lbs so far :cheer2: . And, the first 2 weeks show the greatest loss, so you can get a big headstart on the rest of your life right now...and give yourself some guidelines for eating around the World (THAT was a toughie for me). Plus, you're in a position where you HAVE to exercise throughout your vacation! Go, you!

I just want to comment on this. My mom passed away this Feb and all I can say is I wish I had even more pictures of her than I do. Both of my parents were very very overweight, but when I see pictures of them, what I remember is the joy they brought to my life, my mom's constant love and compassion and my dad's fabulous sense of humor. If you have kids, a spouse or loved ones, please leave yourself in those pictures even if you don't like them.

Onto the OP. I am in the same boat. I know I NEED to lose this weight and in my head I WANT to, but there are days when it is not in my heart. I have joined Curves so I feel like I am doing something but now I need to get on the diet/healthy eating plan and I am not getting there.

I wanted to lost 30 pounds by my september trip as well. I am down 13 pounds since easter sunday- woohoo!!!!!! I exercise and walk everyday and have taken on a low-calorie diet. I have cut out all snacks and drinks a ton of water. You can do anything if you put your mind to- I am living proof of that.
One more thing- start walking now to get ready for Disney- you walk alot there. Last year I was unprepared and boy did I feel it at the end of the day.

Hi everyone! I was sitting here feeling sorry for myself and looking
to talk to some people who understand what I'm going through. I need to lose about 90 pounds all together. I lost 11 and have started to gain some back. I'm doing Weight Watchers and I do pretty good for the first 2 weeks, then I get hungry and blow it! HELP!! Also, after working all day I feel so tired that all I want to do is crash on the couch for a nap. Getting motivated is not the issue it's just staying that way!! :guilty: I would love any input that you all may have!! :grouphug:

blue_eyes5212 said:
Hi everyone! I was sitting here feeling sorry for myself and looking
to talk to some people who understand what I'm going through. I need to lose about 90 pounds all together. I lost 11 and have started to gain some back. I'm doing Weight Watchers and I do pretty good for the first 2 weeks, then I get hungry and blow it! HELP!! Also, after working all day I feel so tired that all I want to do is crash on the couch for a nap. Getting motivated is not the issue it's just staying that way!! :guilty: I would love any input that you all may have!! :grouphug:

from the photo in your sig i would say there is no way you need to loose 90 pounds!

babywewe said:
from the photo in your sig i would say there is no way you need to loose 90 pounds!

Thanks sooooo much!! But you haven't seen my hips and butt!! :rotfl:
I actually weigh about 225 and I feel like all 90 pounds are in those areas! I really don't know what I need to get down too because I have always been overweight, so I don't know what I would look like or how I would feel at 140, 150 or whatever.

blue_eyes5212 said:
Thanks sooooo much!! But you haven't seen my hips and butt!! :rotfl:
I actually weigh about 225 and I feel like all 90 pounds are in those areas! I really don't know what I need to get down too because I have always been overweight, so I don't know what I would look like or how I would feel at 140, 150 or whatever.

no way! 225!?! You are a pretty girl! Dont stress lossing 90pounds.... try small goals like getting to 200 pounds.

Thanks sooooo much!! But you haven't seen my hips and butt!!
Are you doing Flex plan with WW? Then try switching to Core plan. I find I'm terrible at writing everything down, and I choose way more high-point items than I should if left to my own devices. I also have a very low level of will power...if I'm hungry all the time, I just get discouraged and give up. The great thing about the Core plan is you are more restricted to the type of foods you should eat, but much less restricted as to how MUCH you should eat! I don't measure anything. I only eat those things I should, avoiding all processed sugar and flour items, eating only whole grains, lean meats, and tons of veggies and fruits! I'm never hungry...if I get hungry, I grab an apple, or a 1-point yogurt (you're still allowed your discretionary 35 points a week for the snacky things), or a bowl of edamame (my favorite veggie now!), and fill up til mealtime. Every night I have a rich dessert made either with nonfat ricotta cheese and flavorings (vanilla, splenda, cocoa powder, lemon juice, canned fruit packed in juice, you name it), or I put together a vitatop double chocolate muffin top with FF, SF chocolate fudge pudding and CoolWhip Free for a grand total of 1 point. I'm practically stuffed by the end of the day! What a great motivator, eh?

I have been overweight for all my life, too, and obese since the babies, so I know where you're coming from. WW said I had 112 lbs to lose when I joined, but I modified that to 96, which puts me in a healthy spot. I may re-evaluate it as I get closer, to see how I look and feel.

babywewe said:
no way! 225!?! You are a pretty girl! Dont stress lossing 90pounds.... try small goals like getting to 200 pounds.

You are so good for my ego!! Thank You! I'm not gonna stress over the whole amount. To me being under 200 would be awesome! It's been so long since I've been there I can't even remember!

Ursulasshadow:
Thanks for the tips! I've kinda been afraid to try the Core because of the food limitations. Maybe I will! By the way, what is edamame? I've never heard of it.
Also, keep up the good work!! :goodvibes

Edamame is green soybeans. You can buy them frozen either shelled or in the pod (they take longer to eat that way, like shelling pistachios, but easier), or fresh. I like them frozen, because you just thaw them out in the microwave, park in front of the TV, and pop them out of the shell and into your mouth. I first tried these at Teppanyaki in Epcot, and fell in love with them. At home, I found them in the freezer case in the health food section of our supermarket. They may have them in the regular freezer section where all the other veggies are, too, although I've never looked there.

babywewe said:
Sigh, going to disney in two montha dn i'm overweight, out of shape and depressed. I'm not sure i have the energy to go to disney and enjoy it (in the fl sun on top of it). I'm still young and would like to feel young....

I need to get fit for disney in two months... I'm not talking lossing a ton of weight...just building some stamina and endurance.

advice, tips , inspiration?

Hi babywewe,
I wanted to check in with you and see how your weight loss efforts are going!
I understand how you feel.........I'm 26 but feel like I have no energy!!
Good luck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter