Overcoming Solo Trip Jitters

Pinkshoos

Mouseketeer
I'm a 46-year old widow who travels most of the time to Disney alone. While I love it now, when I first started going solo, I felt weird and self-conscious. That is, until my Mom gave me a packet of things that she had kept from my Grandfather's house after he died. He had taken a solo trip to Florida in 1974, and as fate would have it, not only did he go to Disney, he went the year I was born.

In it was his Disney ticket book with A-E attraction tickets still in it (he seemed to like C and D attractions the most), his parking pass, and a postcard booklet with receipt still in its little WDW bag. All of it was in mint condition. Knowing him, he kept them all pressed in something. Now, I keep it all among my Disney keepsakes that I try to keep preserved, as well.

It was then that it dawned on me, if Grandpa could do it, so could I. After all, it's in my blood.

Last edited:
I'm a 46-year old widow who travels most of the time to Disney alone. While I love it now, when I first started going solo, I felt weird and self-conscious. That is, until my Mom gave me a packet of things that she had kept from my Grandfather's house after he died. He had taken a solo trip to Florida in 1974, and as fate would have it, not only did he go to Disney, he went the year I was born.

In it, was his Disney ticket book with A-E attraction tickets still in it (he seemed to like C and D attractions the most), his parking pass, the postcard booklet with receipt still in its little WDW bag. All of it was in mint condition. Knowing him, he kept them all pressed in something. Now, I keep it all among my Disney keepsakes that I try to keep preserved, as well.

It was then that it dawned on me, if Grandpa could do it, so could I. After all, it's in my blood.

I think people get nervous because they either think it’s just for families(Disney’s fault there), or because they are so used to seeing things aimed at couples or families. It’s almost a stigma in our society to be single, especially past 30.

I think people get nervous because they either think it’s just for families(Disney’s fault there), or because they are so used to seeing things aimed at couples or families. It’s almost a stigma in our society to be single, especially past 30.

And yet, I've found solo traveling absolutely liberating. I do everything whenever and however I want, and I don't have to explain myself. The cool thing about being in my 40's now though is that the older I get, the less I care about society norms. I will be that eccentric, artsy old lady one day..... if I'm lucky.... hahaha

And yet, I've found solo traveling absolutely liberating. I do everything whenever and however I want, and I don't have to explain myself. The cool thing about being in my 40's now though is that the older I get, the less I care about society norms. I will be that eccentric, artsy old lady one day..... if I'm lucky.... hahaha

Agreed. You just don’t know until you’ve tried it. I turned 40 last year and I’ve always been the eccentric, artsy old lady. Lol. Just gotta do your own thing.

First of all, sorry to hear that you were widowed so young. Second, how cool that your grandfather went to WDW -- that you have mementos from his trip is a bonus. Third, I love traveling solo. As much as I like to think everyone is looking at me and wondering why I'm alone, in fact I suspect most people barely notice us solo travelers.

First of all, sorry to hear that you were widowed so young. Second, how cool that your grandfather went to WDW -- that you have mementos from his trip is a bonus. Third, I love traveling solo. As much as I like to think everyone is looking at me and wondering why I'm alone, in fact I suspect most people barely notice us solo travelers.

In theme parks no, but other forms of travel we do sometimes stick out like a sore thumb, particularly in group tours.

In theme parks no, but other forms of travel we do sometimes stick out like a sore thumb, particularly in group tours.
Well, people may know that you are alone, but the important part is not that they know, but do they care really. And if they do why do you care. It's none of anyone's business other then yours. It doesn't reflect anything upon you. You are a complete individual and are not a lesser person so why do YOU notice that you are alone and think that others find that to be a problem or a shameful thing to be. That my friend is strictly on you. I have gone solo dozens of times and the opinion of others, especially the imagined opinions of others never even cross my mind. Why do we so strongly try to make like people in a place like WDW has the time to focus on us.

I know the imagination is sometimes out of control. September 2019 I had to go there and because of serious back problems I had to use a scooter. So many times I have seen comments about people using scooters, using incorrect information to single them out as being lazy and just trying to get ahead in line is almost sickening. And by the way, a scooter doesn't get you to the head of the line. I almost gave into it and just not go. Then I gave myself that talk that I just expressed. Know what, I didn't care what people thought about me. I knew I had REAL physical problems that required I either use the scooter or stay home. I decided to go because I wasn't going to stay home over what I imagined people would think about me. Not only did I have a great time, but I did not come in contact with any type of judgmental looks or words. And if I had, all I would have done is ignore the ignorant. Life is to short to be a slave to the thoughts of others, real or imagined.

Last edited:
Well, people may know that you are alone, but the important part is not that they know, but do they care really. And if they do why do you care. It's none of anyone's business other then yours. It doesn't reflect anything upon you. You are a complete individual and are not a lesser person so why do YOU notice that you are alone and think that others find that to be a problem or a shameful thing to be. That my friend is strictly on you. I have gone solo dozens of times and the opinion of others, especially the imagined opinions of others never even cross my mind. Why do we so strongly try to make like people in a place like WDW has the time to focus on us.

I know the imagination is sometimes out of control. September 2019 I had to go there and because of serious back problems I had to use a scooter. So many times I have seen comments about people using scooters, using incorrect information to single them out as being lazy and just trying to get ahead in line is almost sickening. And by the way, a scooter doesn't get you to the head of the line. I almost gave into it and just not go. Then I gave myself that talk that I just expressed. Know what, I didn't care what people thought about me. I knew I had REAL physical problems that required I either use the scooter or stay home. I decided to go because I wasn't going to stay home over what I imagined people would think about me. Not only did I have a great time, but I did not come in contact with any type of judgmental looks or words. And if I had, all I would have done ignore the ignorant. Life is to short to be a slave to the thoughts of others, real or imagined.

I travel alone regularly myself, but was just pointing out that it’s more obvious in some cases. Only thing I hate about solo travel is the single supplements you get hit with sometimes.

It’s funny how much I notice other solo travelers at Disney now that I travel solo. There seems to be more there than other places I’ve traveled.

I would like to do a solo cruise one day. I’m eyeing Disney Cruise Line for my first solo cruise.

Be warned on cruises that many lines require solo travelers to pay a fare of 200%. Some lines offer lower single supplements. Solo cruises are enjoyable but do come with a price.

Thank you. My late husband loved Disney, and he LOVED the Wilderness Lodge to the point that no other Disney resort compared no matter how fancy it was. He was just stuck on the WL... haha. I still have his Magic Bands. I keep them in the same box as my Grandfather’s keepsakes.

Grandpa also went to the Citrus Tower and other FL attractions. He kept all of the little pamphlets and tickets. It’s an amazing collection.

Every time I go to Disney now, I realize how many solo travelers there are. There’s quite a lot of us. It’s kind of funny when you’re on a boat or monorail near a family and they’re all fighting, and one of them looks at you like, “Help”.... haha. I just smile. I’ve traveled with the big family before, so I get it.

Last edited:
Be warned on cruises that many lines require solo travelers to pay a fare of 200%. Some lines offer lower single supplements. Solo cruises are enjoyable but do come with a price.

Oh I know. DCL does, and I’d just figure it into my budget. Crystal and NCL are a little friendlier to solo cruisers.

I love going to Disney solo. Much better than going solo to the beach. I even did the Disney mini golf solo since it was included in my ticket. With some of the pandemic changes to the parks, it’s a sweet time to go solo like no group tables in Biergarten, Skyliner cabin to your self, etc.

I love going to Disney solo. Much better than going solo to the beach. I even did the Disney mini golf solo since it was included in my ticket. With some of the pandemic changes to the parks, it’s a sweet time to go solo like no group tables in Biergarten, Skyliner cabin to your self, etc.

I LOVE having a Skyliner cabin to myself!

I travel alone regularly myself, but was just pointing out that it’s more obvious in some cases. Only thing I hate about solo travel is the single supplements you get hit with sometimes.
It is almost impossible to try and give advice, especially when talking about a sometimes real, but oft times imagined situation without using the word YOU. In the context of what I wrote I was talking generally because it seems to be a big problem. Sorry, it is hard to make that clear without using the word one instead of you, but that seems very impersonal to me. What solo cost more are most obvious in cruise travel because they base their room rates on the assumption that there is more then one person in the room. However, a lot of the time the extra costs otherwise are made up for by half the cost or more to dine, half the cost or more for airfare, half the cost or more for admission prices, and other things. Hotels usually charge one charge for the room whether it's one person or four.

A lot more solo travelers go to WDW then you might think. I go solo during the food and wine fest and do a lot of the special events. I am always seated at a table with a bunch of other solo travelers. I see other's at restaurants and on the rides. Go, no one cares if you are solo or just taking a break from your family.

I will be that eccentric, artsy old lady one day..

YAS, HONEY! :teeth:

I find going to restaurants where you can sit at the bar to be less intimidating than a regular sit down restaurant. I've joked a few times to the wait staff that I'm a party of 1 because I have no friends. But yeah, solo trips are great for the reasons you mentioned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter