Over Planners Annonamous

rubberbootbunny

Mouseketeer
Hi.. my name is ----- and I am an over planner.

I realize that I am an over (aka uber, ultra etc) planner. I know some of you are too.
I thought it might be fun to list some of our Quirckiest planning steps
for instance

I make charts - both pie and bar - to display my packing progress :lol:
so just for a chuckle, think about your planning steps, and share

:banana::banana::banana:

We have made a universal vacation packing list which lists each person in the house individually. We also list things like... take garbage out, stop paper and mail, drop dogs at the kennel along with a list of items needed to board the dogs. We take it with us on vacation and this gives us a list to then repack everything, so this way we don't forget anything on vacation.

I also do our laundry up the day before we come home, so everything is clean in the suitcases and this way, we can just put it all away when we arrive back at home :)

I place all travel documents in a large envelope and keep separate from all other suitcases.

Charge all camera batteries the day before we leave.

Send our entire itinerary to a family member in case of emergency.

Run the bank errand a few days before etc.....

I don't know if I'm an overplanner...but I'm definitely a planner of things that I find necessary.

We vacation twice a year to WDW/cruise. As a DVC member, resort accomodations are booked 11 mths in advance. ADRs are booked 6 mths in advance (although I do a little tweaking once in a while). Flights are booked approx 7-10 mths in advance (usually as soon as they are made available). For DCL cruise, I book it as soon as it's available. (My first cruise was booked only a year in advance with a second part of a b2b booked only 7 mths in advance - I was not happy about it since I felt I had paid too much. I booked my 3rd cruise as soon as it was available and 4th cruise (dummy booking) was moved to the proper date as soon as it was available.)

I send in requests (usually just asking for a high floor) to DVC member services as soon as reservations are booked. For DCL reservations, I send in a request for "table for ourselves" and servers (if they are available) after I pay in full.

If we plan to stay at hotels before our flights, I book that as early as possible and check online regularly for promotions and price reductions. I plan out places to dine if we've never been there before. I would also check reviews of the hotels and restaurants to make a decision.

3 mths before the trip, I check to make sure that everyone in the family has appropriate and sufficient amount of clothes, footwear etc for the vacation.

I also prepare envelopes for gratuities, collect all reservations, etickets and other documents.

Before we leave, I have a list of things that need to be done a week before, a few days before, and the day of.

Since we go twice a year, I am in contant planning mode. But I'm not sure this would be considered overplanning. Although my husband seems to think so. I just do what is necessary. ::yes::

So, should I join Overplanner Anonymous? :confused3

Actually, I don't think I want to join. I don't want to stop!:lmao::goodvibes

You all make me feel normal. We frequently travel since we live away from our families, most of what I do is on autopilot. The house must be clean and fridge cleared out, I buy milk boxes for my kids so that we have milk for bed time and cereal when we get back and I don't have to rush to the store (especially when I am alone with the kids, not easy to take 3 tired cranky kids to the grocery store after 6 hours in the car.) I know some people pack their clothes weeks in advance, but I only pack away special items that won't be used until the trip. My kids have activity bags packed and know when they wake up they put their blankies in their bags. My car is always ready for a car trip. For the cruise, we have our passports ready and I have finished clothes shopping for the kids (we are 5 weeks out). The Hubs wakes up the morning of a trip and packs his stuff and is out the door in 10 minutes. He can't understand why it takes me days (maybe because I pack for 4 of us.) Our toiletries are always packed. I am probably less OCD about packing than I am about most everything else, but part of that is due to LOTS of practice.

I make a list too, not as an overplanner but because I forget stuff! Last year we were about to get on the highway to go to the beach and remembered that I forgot to set the alarm! We had to turn around and go home because that would have ruined my trip with worrying.

I list things I need to do before I leave like lock the windows, board the cat, empty the dishwasher, stop the mail, etc. I also list things that I know I'll need and I start to pack them as soon as I can. This doesn't help me all the time though, I am always throwing something in the bag on the way out the door. I also clean the house and vacuum so that it's neat and tidy when we get back. Hubby waits till the day before to get his clothes together. I also clean out the fridge as best I can and make sure there are milk and eggs for when we get back so I don't have to go to the store.

To the poster who does laundry on vacation; I would NEVER waste a minute of my vacation washing clothes when I can do it when I get back home! Not that I've never done laundry on vacation, it is only if something got vomit or pee on it and I don't want it to smell (this has happened to me):rotfl:.

I overplan as well, big time.

That's why I fell in love with cruising.
I spend so much time planning out vacations and trying to make them perfect that I get stressed out.

With cruising, I plan like crazy, then, as soon as I'm on the ship, my time's all mine. I don't look at navigators beforehand to try to see what's going on, I just look at them when I get them. If we want to do something, we do it. If we don't, we don't. It's so nice to have a completely relaxing vacation!

rubberbootbunny said:
Hi.. my name is ----- and I am an over planner.

I realize that I am an over (aka uber, ultra etc) planner. I know some of you are too.
I thought it might be fun to list some of our Quirckiest planning steps
for instance

I make charts - both pie and bar - to display my packing progress :lol:
so just for a chuckle, think about your planning steps, and share

:banana::banana::banana:

Yeah, I'm stressing because I only have 415 days to plan.

I love my lists!:love: When I do something not on my list, I actually add it, just so that I can feel the joy of crossing it off.

Wondering, am I the only one who finds the menus on line so that I can plan what I am going to eat at each MDR? I might change my mind once I get there, but it makes me so happy while I am waiting for my trip!

I too do the "normal" lists and start gathering items used only on our cruise. I put together the laundry kit which has the pop-up hamper, stain remover stick, clothes pins for wet bathing suits and Purell sheets. And yes, I do laundry because throwing nasty dirty clothes in the suitcases throws me over the ledge that I am barely holding on to! LOL

I make sure the kiddos have clothes for DCL and then WDW. Usually pack them in ziplocs with hairbands and such a few days before we leave.

I already have a box started that I put things into when I find them. Above laundry kit, snorkeling stuff, trading pins...you get the picture.

My biggest joy comes from talking the talk about DCL. Finally, this year our good friends are traveling with us. So I have converted the Mom into a OCD cruise planner now too. Much of our free time this summer has been on the boards and putting together surprise treat bags for the kiddos.

We only have until March of 2013 until we cruise! :hyper: I have sipped the kool-aid and I am hooked!

I'm not sure what we'll have for dinner tonight but I do know which excursions, massage treatments etc. that I want for our cruise in March.

I love my lists!:love: When I do something not on my list, I actually add it, just so that I can feel the joy of crossing it off.

Wondering, am I the only one who finds the menus on line so that I can plan what I am going to eat at each MDR? I might change my mind once I get there, but it makes me so happy while I am waiting for my trip!

LOL! I totally add stuff to my list just so I can cross it off! :rotfl2: I thought I was the only person who did that! My DH and co-workers just shake their heads at me!

(But hey! Who do they ask to help them plan things?! That's right! Because as my mom always says- "If you want something done, ask a busy person. They'll just work you into their schedule. Don't ask the person with nothing to do. There's a reason they're not busy!")

I don't look at the menus on-line, but I did download the Navigators. My DD6 and I have been pouring over them! She already has tons of kid activities picked out that she wants to go to, and I'm looking forward to lots of the trivia, dancing, and shows!

Maybe now I'll have to check out the menus! ;)

Can't wait! Woo hoo!

Wendy

Guilty! Our cruise isn't until March, but I've been planning/researching/making lists since we booked in December! I am NOTORIOUS for my lists, and like a PP said, if there is something I've done that wasn't included, I add it just to cross it off!

I also color coordinate everything on my calendar, both at work and at home. So all of my lists are arranged that way, and I know I won't be able to forget the highlighters to do the same with the Navigators!

I already plan on packing the kids' clothes in day specific Ziploc bags, and have already started buying travel sized amenities that I know we will need.

Most people think I'm a little crazy about it, but I just like to think I'm prepared! I'll have to learn how to relax a little though, but even thinking about straying from a plan makes me anxious!

I guess that's what I'll be depending on those DOTDs for! :rotfl2:

I'm not sure what we'll have for dinner tonight but I do know which excursions, massage treatments etc. that I want for our cruise in March.

[/QUOT:rotfl2:Who cares about dinner tonight! I have to plan ur cruise in 11 months and I am more worried about our hotel, plane tickets and excursions than dinner!

Ditto and then DH and I discuss our upcoming cruise daily for months prior for the shear enjoyment. We get our moneys' worth. ;)

I also color coordinate everything on my calendar, both at work and at home. So all of my lists are arranged that way, and I know I won't be able to forget the highlighters to do the same with the Navigators!
If we're starting a list of all of us addicted to lists, then I'm on it to! I also color code everything. I make very detailed excel spreadsheets, color coded by park for our trips. Love color coding... LOVE IT.....

I'm so glad someone posted this! I am embarrassed to say these things to anyone I know IRL...

I can't stand the thought that I might miss a detail or not know something. So, while shopping for back-to-school supplies, I picked up a composition book and some fun pens for myself. I have a list (on a sticky note on the front) of places I need to do research for our cruise. I will take notes in the book.

The list includes:
1) Read the DCL site end to end
2) Read stickies here on DIS for planning, A to Z info, packing
3) Google/search about all ports and possible activities
4) Read old Navigators posted on DIS. We are doing the EBPC and there are no recent Navigators about that. Therefore, my list includes reading the older PC-specific Navigators, and the ones from the recent 14-night Hawaii sailing on the Wonder, since the EBPC is also 14 nights on the Wonder

I'm also trying to read a very long book about the Panama Canal. I am trying for 5-10 pages per night in order to finish in time for the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter