Our Puppy is in the hospital - Update on pg2 - he's home

Just wondering if you've heard anything today. You guys are on my mind.

He's doing a little better this morning. The additional tests showed no blockage but he's still vomiting this morning. Hopefully still just stomach upset from the Rimadyl. They said he hasn't been too happy to be there :( Doesn't appreciate being in a cage at all. At home he is crated during the day but is used to sleeping with the girls at night and lots of attention. They did give him something to calm him down so he would rest better. Just waiting on the vomiting to quit and see that he can hold food down.

I'm glad he's doing better and hope he's home soon with a clean bill of health:D

I am glad that your puppy is feeling better. We had to pump the stomach of one of our dogs once and it is no fun.

Many years ago, DH had a white german shepherd that was sick to her stomach. A few not so pleasant days later, the dog was fine.
DH later that week found a tube of Ben Gay hidden behind the dog's bed. That dog had eaten the contents! :eek:
Amazing what their systems can take.

We picked him up this morning, he was very happy to see us. Not so happy a little bit ago when I tried to give him some medication, it's all liquid so if anyone has some hints that would help. I'll try next time in food or something I'll call the vet and see what they say.

They had to shave the hair on his leg and he smells bad but other than that seems fine. He's tired and should sleep most of the day.

Thanks for all the good thoughts :)

To give liquid meds, use a baby medicine syringe and pull the side of his cheek out and put the meds in the pocket it creates. They HAVE to swallow it then, because it bypasses their tongue.

Glad to hear your baby is better. I hate liquid medicine for animals. I'd much rather poke a pill than deal with the mess.

We always use a medicine syringe for measuring medicine for kids when we have to give liquid to the dogs. It allows you to squirt it slowly into the back of the throat. Unless it tastes really evil, this usually works pretty well.

One of our dogs wouldn't take medicine this way either. She would struggle to gargle the medicine out. :rolleyes: We once had to give her Pepto Bismol and she was pink for days. I should have taken a picture!

We usually give the owners a syringe to give the meds.
If he does not take it that way, we also rec. a small amount of soft food and mix it in that. But, with that, you have to make sure they eat it all.

Good luck
Lisajl

I'm so glad he's back home!!! Maybe after a good, long nap he'll be bossing the big dogs around again. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter