• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Our Florida Adventure - A Trip Report - August 30 – September 6

HHMcG

DIS Veteran
Our Florida Adventure

That is what I have been calling this trip since we would be in Orlando and not going to Disney World. It was hard for me but the rest of the family needed a Disney break. *Gasp* It was especially hard when we drove by signs for Disney World. So close…. But I did have loads of fun and even forgot about Disney World for a few moments.

I’ve decide to put this TR here since there seems to be a lack of info on LEGOLAND and I’m hoping to provide some.

So let’s get started.

Who:

We Are…

Me - Heather - 43 - Efficiency expert & slight control freak. Part time engineer / part time stay-at-home mom, who’s life revolves around her kids. I need a hobby beyond vacation planning.

DH - Bill - 47 – Penn State loving, laid back, happily lets me do all the planning. Dedicated, hard-working dad, husband and also an engineer.

DD - Lucy - 10 - Thoughtful, organized, anxious and bossy (especially to her little brothers).

DS1 - Jack - 8 - Rough, cuddly and does not listen to a word I say. He loves soccer & art.

DS2 - Quinn - 5 – Sweet heart or terror, can change in the flip of a switch. As the baby of the family he is spoiled by all of us, no matter how hard we swear we won’t.

Dates:
Tuesday, August 30 – Tuesday, September 6

Details:
Two nights at Legoland Florida Resort and 5 nights at Royal Pacific Resort at Universal.

And we’re off, almost:

Monday, August 29

The day before we left, I actually worked a full day. Then I had a 7-9pm PTA executive board meeting. Then I had to come home and pack. We had done a lot of prep work ahead and I was surprised to be done, showered and in bed before midnight.

Tuesday, August 30

Bill’s alarm went off at 4. I stayed in bed longer since I had showered the night before. Though I was up and ready before 4:30 when I woke the kids. They were raring to go. We were all ready, bags in car and pulling out of the driveway at 4:59. Our scheduled departure time was 5:oo – good job!

We had about a 45min drive to ACY. Checked our bags, cleared security and were sitting at the gate by 6:30, earlier than necessary for our 7:45 flight. We had a fantastically uneventful flight on Spirit. Boys sat on one side of the plane and girls on the other. I hadn’t paid the extra to pick our seats and was a little nervous about us all having seats together but we were all in row 15.

Arrive at MCO early, got our bags and headed to Alamo. I had checked us in online so we could “Skip the Counter”. DH didn’t believe me, he wanted to find someone in the terminal. I said “head to the parking garage and pick our car”. I had upgraded us to a minivan from a full size. Bill looked thru every minivan in the row. But there only were Town and Countries and Grand Caravans. We went with the T&C with the entertainment package and left the lot with no surprises. I programmed the GPS for Winter Haven and LEGOLAND Resort and we were on our way. We made a pit stop at Target to pick up supplies and even grabbed lunch. The sky looked clear but we knew storms were coming so we were trying to rush to Legoland to get some park time in before it turned nasty.

A bit about the weather. Tropical Storm Hermine was just named before we left home. “They” were sure it would reach hurricane status but they were unsure where it would make landfall. We knew we would be facing rain and lots of it, we just hoped it was nothing worse.

We arrived at Legoland after noon. We were staying at their hotel so we circled all the way around the big parking lot to the free hotel lot. Though we were anxious to get into the park, I check in and our room was ready. So we decide to unpack the car and head up to our room.

I could take days to describe this hotel to you. It is now my kids’ favorite place in the world. It is AWESOME!! Next to the front desk is a giant Lego pit. Over by the bar/restaurant is a play land with more Legos. There are Lego builds and Lego decorations and Lego creations everywhere. It is not subtle. I loved it!

Checking in took longer than expected as they have a lot of events to fill me in on. Eventually we grab our bags and head up to our room. I booked us a Pirate themed room and we are on the second floor. So we have to get on the elevator. The elevator is unusual. It plays regular elevator music but then the doors close, disco kicks in and strobe lights and mirror balls. It’s a party each ride. We had to take a few trips up to the top floor (5th) to get a longer experience. We make it to our room (#211) and it is totally AWESOME!!! Kids have their own ‘room’ with bunk beds, trundle and TV. DH and I have the main space with a queen-size bed, TV, fridge, etc. We drop our bags and get out of there reasonably quick. The kids notice the note about the room scavenger hunt. I manage to convince them to save it for later. They love scavenger hunts so this is beyond amazing to them. Later they would complete it themselves in less than 5 mins. You need to come up with the combination for the pirate treasure chest. They give you clues for each number. I pretty much missed the whole thing because they did it so fast. In the treasure chest was Legoland lanyards, activity pages and a Lego Mixel (small Lego set if you don’t know) for each kid.

We make our way to the park. The hotel is about a ¼ walk to the park entrance, maybe closer. It is ridiculously close. We even have our own bag check guy in case there is a crowd at the main one. At the gate the worker couldn’t get my tickets to scan. I’m a bit worried because I bought the steeply discounted tickets thru FL PTA. But the worker looked clueless so I’m not too panicked. I head over to the ticket counter they scan my tickets and they are fine. They get another worker to let us in the gate.

There has been some rain and there is more in the forecast. Also most of the country and all of FL is back to school by now. The park is EMPTY. We had no lines the entire time we were there. Every single ride is walk on. Often they would ask us if we wanted to stay on and ride again. Over the next two days, occasionally rides shut down due to the rain, but we still manage to do everything multiple times. On that first afternoon we manage to do about 75% of the rides. Our kids, even the big kids, loved all the rides. They are not crazy thrill seekers so it was good enough for them. We have Sesame Place close to us and the rides were of a similar level but more of them. I appreciated the theming of the rides. Again similar to Sesame Place’s level of theming.

There is some drizzle and around 5 it starts to get heavier. We are done. The park is scheduled to close at 6. I’ve already upgraded our tickets to 2-day. (They nicely warned me that tomorrow is supposed to be a wash out, am I sure I want to buy a second day?) We haven’t even entered the water park yet and there are still a few more rides to try out. We take the 2 min walk back to the hotel which nicely has towels waiting in the lobby for us. We dry off and change and are ready for dinner. We are looking for something close and convenient and there is a buffet restaurant in the hotel. It is resort pricy and not the best food but we aren’t too picky. Towards the end of dinner the kid activities began in the lobby (we could hear them, they are quite loud). The kids were too excited to eat anymore, so off they went.

The kid’s activities were hosted by two woman in costume (a princess and an adventurer). 6:00-6:45 was different games; hide and seek and I don’t know what else. Then 6:45-7:00 was the Lego building contest. At 7:00 the kids start presenting their builds. That lasts until 7:30-ish. A winner (or two) is announced and they are awarded a pin or something. (I will tell you it is definitely not based on the best Lego creation.) Then it’s time to get PJ’s on for the 8:00 PJ Dance Party. DH had his fantasy football draft this night so it worked out that he hunkered down in the hotel room and the kids had tons of fun without disturbing him. This whole time the play area is a kids paradise with kids running every which way using their imaginations to play every which game. The bar that is adjacent to the play area is a parent’s paradise. By 9 the organized activities are done and my kids were off to bed. I’m not sure how late all the other crazies hung out down there. There is a sign saying Quiet Time from 10pm-8am. We didn’t notice much noise once were back in our room. Of course the hotel, like the park, was far from capacity.

Wednesday, August 31

Breakfast buffet is included with the room. When we checked in we needed to pick a “breakfast time”. (I think they do this to avoid long lines that they have had problems with in the past.) I chose the earliest time (7:30-8:00) because we are earlier risers.

The kids were up by 7 and we lounged around the room until close to 8. The kids couldn’t sit still much longer. Breakfast buffet was in the same location we had dinner the night before. I love breakfast and this was a very standard buffet. I tried the eggs and they were awful but DH found the omelet station which was MUCH better and I was happy. There is also a Lego character or two at breakfast. Most of the kids (mine included) didn’t seem interested. I wonder if it is different if the place is crowded. I did manage to get one or two pics.

Hotel guest get Bonus Brick time which means 30 min early admittance to the park. We arrived at 9:45, half way into Bonus Brick time. (I have much better notes from this day.) I had read The Dragon coaster gets the longest line so we went straight there to get another run on it. It was closed due to technical problems. The kids hopped on Merlin’s challenge, Beetle Bounce and then we all did Lost Kingdom Adventure – twice. Spent some time in Mini Land – AWESOME. DH and our youngest, Q, did Project X (like Mouse Trap) while I did Wave Racers with the big kids. Then we all did Wave Racers a few more times. These were fun, especially when guests watching the ride squirt you with the provided water cannons. Then I did Project X with Q. I don’t love coaster but figured I can handle kiddie ones. I did NOT like Project X, had my eyes closed the whole time. Q is 5 and the bravest in our family when it comes to rides. We rode a few more rides and then tried the much raved about Granny Apple Fries. We got them with ice cream and good thing we did. None of us liked them alone and only some of us enjoyed them with the ice cream. We did one of the 4D movies. Even though we were starving for lunch, we went to check out the water skiing show at Pirates Cove. It was cute and a new concept to our kids.

Finally we grabbed lunch in the Imagination Zone building. Which is a great place to come and cool off and let the kids play while you relax or catch up on emails. It is not a great place to eat. Unfortunately, they had very limited choices and what we got wasn’t even very good. It seemed each stand in the park only had 1-2 type of items. So if your family didn’t all want the same thing you had to go to multiple places. We didn’t bother going to multiple places and no one was happy about it. As I said we are not picky eaters, not gourmand, have eaten lots of amusement park junk but my advice would be to avoid eating in the park.

After lunch we split up a bit. Everyone was cranky and some space from each other helped. Bill took the big kids to the water park and Q and I were going to head back to the hotel but instead just hung out in the Imagination Zone. Good thing we didn’t go back to the hotel because Bill and the kids needed the park tickets to get into the waterpark, which I had. For some reason one of our phones was dead at this point so they couldn’t even call me. But Lu ran back and found me in the Imagination Zone.

About a half hour later, Q was ready to get wet. It was drizzling outside so good timing. Every water ride was walk on. We did some slides over and over and over again. We skipped the really steep set of slides. We did the lazy river and never got off. They have Lego bricks you can build with on your tube on the lazy river. It was a cute idea but brinks can be a little warped and tough to build with. We needed a couple trips around to build anything. Next the kids went into the water play area and wave pool while Bill and I sat under an umbrella out of the rain trying to dry off. For some reason I thought towels were provided. Nope. We used the hand dryers in the bathroom to help us a bit.

We were ready to go. Got in one or two more repeat rides and did a little shopping on the way out. (I bought the kids long sleeve tees / sweatshirts because we were freezing in the hotel.) It started to pour as we walked into the hotel.

We needed something different for dinner. DH did some searching and we decided on Andy’s Igloo (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...estaurant_and_Igloo-Winter_Haven_Florida.html). This was a huge hit with us. It is an old fashion drive in/family restaurant. We got burgers and chicken fingers (oh and my cold DD wanted chicken soup) and it was all great. Then the best part – milkshakes to go. We stuffed ourselves and the bill was still under $40. A great break from resort food and prices.

Back to the Legoland Hotel for the same activities as the night before. But tonight the kids also were scheduled for a Master Builder Class. You reserve your class on a (UN-user friendly) touch screen in the lobby. They are held in a private classroom off the lobby. 12 kids to a class. A Master Builder takes the kids step by step through a build that they get to take home. It is pretty small and simple but the Master Builder is entertaining and it is all free. All 3 kids loved it and would have done it over and over. I wish we would have done one our first night also. After the same antics in the lobby we all called it a night. As the kids were getting into bed we put on the TV for them and discovered the channel that plays the Lego Movie nonstop. They were annoyed when I turned the TV off but I told them “it will still be on in the morning”.

Thursday, September 1

Overnight Hermine becomes a tropical storm and then a Hurricane. If a day needs to be a wash out, let it be today. We are moving from Legoland to Universal.

After watching more of The Lego Movie and the breakfast buffet, we do a little Lego building in the lobby and then hit the pool. The pool isn’t anything unusual. They have the same foam Lego bricks that the lazy river has in the water park. They also have at least two lifeguards (sometimes three) on duty at all times. There were four of us in the pool. We walked down to the “boardwalk” which overlooks Lake Eloise. It is a short walking path but we did see many fish and birds. If you need to kill some time it’s worth it. Then it was time to pack up and leave Legoland.

On the drive back to Orlando, DH wanted to do a little exploring of Celebrations. I was annoyed and felt we had more important things to do. I also got a bit depressed every time we drove by a Disney sign. (I enjoyed our trip but I am still a Disney girl in my heart. Disney does an amazing job of keeping you in there bubble and I like it that way. I was missing it.) We made a pit stop for more supplies and arrived at Royal Pacific Resort around 1pm. We had not stopped for lunch – big mistake. I checked in, our room was not ready. I asked for the fasted place to get lunch and was directed to Jake’s where we were told it was a 30 min wait. Sigh. There was nothing quick about Jake’s but when we did finally get food it was good and plentiful. Our waitress was fantastic and brought generous bowls of fresh fruit for the kids. Our $80+ bill was tough to swallow and reminded us that we were back to resort prices. We finish up around 2:30 and explore the resort for a minute when the text came that our room is ready.

The kids’ impression of the resort and the room can be summed up in one word – Fancy. J calls everything not garish “fancy”. The room was smaller than I hoped. The bathroom is large and eats away at the square footage. We rest a bit in the room. But the kids aren’t much for resting. Hurricane Hermine has made landfall further north and we haven’t had much rain. We decide to head to City Walk. First we stop in the lobby for our Express Passes. (The greatest theme parks perk ever!) I go first and my picture looks good enough on the screen but when I print my express pass I look like a black blob. The others are only slightly better than mine. Q’s is the only one that looks like a person.

We find the boat launch and take our first ride. We walked completely around City Walk. The weather is beautiful, blue skies. We explore one or two stores. Not much here of interest to the kids. Since lunch was so late and plentiful we decide to have dessert for dinner and go straight to The Toothsome Chocolate Emporium which I had ready so much about before we left. We decided on milkshakes and sundaes and thus did not need to be seated in the dining room but were directed to the ‘ice cream parlor’ to the left. After much family debate we decided on the Peanut Indulgence Milkshake and the Brookie, Cookies and Cream Sundae. It was a little after 5pm and there was only one couple already in line. DH ordered while we checked out the store on the right side of the restaurant, mostly overpriced chocolates, but we did get a free sample. Returned to DH who had grabbed a table and our desserts were delivered shortly. Both desserts were incredible. The $12/$9 price tags were reasonable considering the size and where we were. L & J weren’t crazy about the milkshake but they don’t like nuts – their nuts. They liked the flavor but not the chunks of peanuts. Q liked it all. I preferred the sundae. (The brookie would become my favorite treat.) and DH liked the milkshake best. The theme characters, Penelope and her robot visited us in the parlor. The kids stuffed themselves and Bill and I managed to finish the desserts. Both come in plastic so you can take it away with you. The milkshake is in a plastic mason jar with the Toothsome logo, reasonable souveigner. Ours is sitting on my desk with pencils in it.

Our last stop in City Walk was the Universal store to buy lanyards. L & J picked Gryffindor and Q picked Jurassic Park. Bill and I abstained thinking we might see something different later or the kids might have buyer’s remorse. We never did get lanyards and used the free ones the kids conveniently got at Legoland. We were interested in exploring the walk back to RPR but the boys were too tired. Bill took them on the boat and L & I walked. First we made a pit stop to buy a refillable popcorn. We really wanted the Minion container but I couldn’t stomach the $15 upcharge for it. Bill was disappointed but even he agreed. That night the boys/boat beat us back to the resort because of the popcorn stop and because I missed the turn for the resort path. But every other trip walking would be faster.

We were back in our room by 6:30. We ate some snacks (fruit and cheese sticks) to supplement our dessert. Bill went to the lobby to investigate getting a rollaway. I had been told at check in it would be free since we have 5 in our room. I thought this was wrong but Bill thought it was worth checking out. Guest Service confirmed it would be no charge and the rollaway was delivered. We were never charged and no kid had to sleep on the floor. The rollaway fit between one bed and the window which displaced a chair which made our room feel even smaller. Housekeeping eventually rearranged thing putting the desk chair in the entry hall which left the kids zipping back and forth on the chair. Everyone was a little stir crazy. I regretted not going to the park today considering how nice the day turned out. Who knew what tomorrow’s weather would bring. We tried to get to bed early for an early start tomorrow but the kids were wound up.

Friday, September 2

Parks opened at 9am, so Early Entry (at IOA) was at 8; I wanted us out the door by 7:30.

We are all early risers. The kids are starting to sleep in only occasionally. We were all wide awake by 7 with the sound of pouring rain out the window. A trailing band of Hermine was sitting over Orlando. It was pouring. I didn’t know what to do. Put our rain gear on and go, go go? Did we have enough rain gear? Wait it out? Would it stop?

We decided to wait it out. We were disappointed with the breakfast options at RPR. The seated buffet (The Island Dining Room) was expensive as you would expect, not an everyday option. And the continental grab and go (The Orchid Lounge) wasn’t at all what I expected and had a limited selection. We decided to leave the resort for breakfast. The day before we had ended up in ‘not the greatest’ neighborhood. I crossed my fingers that today would be better. We search online for a chain restaurant known for breakfast (Cracker Barrel) and headed out. It was fine. We also stopped by Target (same strip mall) for more rain gear.

Back to Royal Pacific and it’s still pouring. We kill some more time in our room. But there isn’t much to do and nowhere to go. We decide to buck up and head out in the rain. We walked outside under cover and check out the pool and a few other resort highlights. We decide to walk to UO. We all have our ponchos in hand and as we start to walk the rain slows to a drizzle. It feels nice so we all put our ponchos away and wouldn’t need them the rest of the day. The last bit of Tropical Storm Hermine had past.

We are all so excited that the rain has past entering the park is secondary. L is amused that at 10 she is now an ‘adult’ and had to give her finger print. We have no touring plan and no idea where to head. Minions is the first thing we come to and it seems fitting to be our first Universal ride. Our first use of express pass is exciting. The line isn’t too long but we still walk right by it. The kids understand fast pass at Disney and think Express pass is the greatest thing ever. We giggled our way thru Minions and I feel like a weight has been lifted. We are here. The rain had passed. Let the fun begin. Next we hit ET, The Woody Woodpecker Coaster, Fievel’s Playland. The kids’ don’t really know what these characters are but the rides are fun. We do The Simpson’s Ride and Twirl and Hurl. This is funny to the kids. Then MIB, which we all loved.

Finally we come to what I have been waiting for, what sets Uni apart (for me) from any other amusement park – WWOHP. We enter Diagon Alley and I can’t even take it all in. I just want to sit and stare. The kids have seen all the movies in preparation for this trip so they are in awe, too. DH gets me a frozen butterbeer and I’m in love. The kids are anxious to get their wands. We want to check out Ollivanders to see if any of them get fitted for their wand. There is short wait and the CMs chat with us, in character of course. I get all the Harry Potter trivia correct, of course. Then we enter Ollivanders. J is front and center and is picked for the ‘show’!! He does a fantastic job doing exactly what he is told. The Holly wand chooses him. We move on into the rest of the shop. L can’t decide which wand to pick or to try to be fitted again. She and I decide to go thru Ollivanders one more time. The girl standing front and center is picked for this ‘show’, too, not L. We head back into the shop. She decided to pick her wand and goes with the one she has had her eye on for months – Ginny Weasley’s – the Little Black Dress. Q has already chosen the Ivy wand. $150+ and I have three wizards on my hands. I really think DH would have bought one too if I suggested it. Back out to Diagon Alley to practice our magic.

We linger here until we are all starving. With our big breakfast, we just snacked for lunch and are now hungry and it’s only 4:30. Antojitos is the plan for dinner. So we make our way from the back of UO and around City Walk. First order of business, we ordered the chips and guac. It was good but not as good as the guacamole we get when we visit my brother in San Antonio. DH did have an excellent margarita. I don’t remember what DH ordered. I expected him to get the fajitas and then we could have gotten the order for two. When he picked something else it threw me off. I kind of rushed my dinner order and just got a chimichanga. It was fine. The kids ordered tacos and quesadillas from the kids menu. The tacos were a large order with 2 tacos and a side of rice. We were all nice and stuffed.

We headed back into UO since it was open later. I think we just wandered around. Ended up back on Diagon Alley again. I had hoped to do Escape from Gringots since the ‘crowds’ had thinned in the evening but our Ollivander’s boxes wouldn’t fit into the lockers. Instead we browsed the shops. We were worn out and left the park around 7:30. I have this pick of L on the boat ride home at 7:47. We all collapsed quickly into bed. It had been a magical day.

Saturday, September 3

We were up early and ate breakfast in the room – cereal, fruit and yogurt. Headed down to the lobby where Bill could get his coffee fix at the Orchid Lounge. Then the quick walk to IOA. We arrived a few minutes after EE time of 8. We followed the crowds to Hogsmeade and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. Line took over half hour until we were on the actual ride but once you are in the castle you don’t mind the wait much. We needed to do Rider Swap here, poor Q isn’t tall enough. It was a nice set up and actually bumped us up in line a bit. I rode first with L & J. I am amazed by the ride. They do a nice job of combining 3D projection with real sets which kept the motion sickness away for all of us. Then I sat in the Rider Swap area with Q watching Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (ok, I watch and Q played on my phone) while Bill rode with L & J.

Then we had to hustle off to any ride Q could do – Flight of the Hippogriff it is. L&J rode together, I rode with Q and Bill rode with his long legs. Poor guy struggled with his long legs all week. I had learned that some Universal rides had a tighter fit but I didn’t expect DH to struggle. He always fit just not comfortably. It is all about the legs for him.

No one had an interested in Dueling Dragons. Well, no one who was actually tall enough to ride. Q would have rode. L & J & I would not.

We got some snacks (butterbeer, popcorn and a coke freestyle cup) and relaxed a bit. I loved the patio behind Three Broomsticks. The view of Hogwarts was amazing and in the morning it was nice and quiet.

Eventually (around 10:30) we left Hogsmeade and headed towards Jurassic Park. We enjoyed the Discovery Center for a while and then moved onto Pteranodon Flyers. The wait time was posted at 15mins so we hopped in line. Two of our kids are still short enough to qualify. Even though L was too tall (at 10) she rode with J and I rode with Q. This was a fun ride. I was startled by how high we were. Afterwards the kids played in Camp Jurassic for a while. Even though the plan was to wear bathing suits tomorrow, we all got soaked. It was fun.

We continued on our way thru Toon Lagoon and Super Hero Island. We were planning to do water rides tomorrow and we don’t really do big thrill rides so we didn’t stop until we got to Spiderman. I really enjoyed this. Q kept talking about a Spiderman villain I had never heard of. I was tickled when said villain showed up. Who knew my 5 year old new the super heroes better than me?!? After that we grabbed lunch at Café 4. Typical amusement park food, but we enjoyed watching the Hulk coaster as we ate.

We had been so tired out yesterday (the heat kicked our butts) that we planned an afternoon break today. So we headed back to RPR. Actually Bill and the kids headed back while I upgraded our tickets to Seasonal Annual Passes. We had 3 day park to park tickets and after taxes it cost right around $200 to upgrade all 5 of them. I knew I wanted to upgrade to 4 day and then it just made sense to pay a bit more “in case” we decide to come back.

I met Bill and the kids back at the pool. I planned to do a load of laundry and then joined them. Today was the start of the college football season. We are big fans, so our afternoon would need to involve watching a game. Bill headed to NBC Brew and Grill for the start of the game. I finished the laundry. The kids and I showered and cleaned up and then joined Bill for the second quarter and dinner. We started with some brews and appetizers – the giant soft pretzel was a hit with the kids and I treated myself to onion rings. For dinner L & I split the Caesar salad. The croutons were to die for. Bill had the beef brisket sandwich – tasty. Boys had something from the kids menu. It was a nice relaxing afternoon. The kids and I headed into the UO while DH finished up.

First up was Minions. We can’t walk by without doing this ride. The posted wait was over an hour, we were on in less than 10mins. I started to wonder how people without Express Pass can stand it. After the Minions ride we hung around and danced a bit and out came these guys, we were second in line to meet them. The CM insisted I get in the picture too and took a picture with my phone. We finally leave and walk by Transformers and who is walking out but Bumblebee. We saw him earlier with a huge line. The kids didn’t have a lot of interest in meeting but there was no line, even the CM told them to quick hop in before the stampede. The kids went to give Bumblebee a high five not knowing that you can’t touch him. Oops. I took the picture and we started to move on our way when Bumble (I can call him that now) started singing to me – “Baby come back”. I was cracking up. The kids didn’t really get it. It had me rolling though. Wish I had taken video but I was too in the moment.

I’m not sure what we did the rest of the night. Bill joined us for more rides. Eventually we made it to Diagon Alley. I know we got ice cream from Madame Fortuna’s (around 8:21). The kids picked chocolate and vanilla - exciting. Q ate about 3 spoonfuls and ran off to play with his wand. I happily finished what I could. We made are way out of the park while Cinematic Spectacular was going on. It didn’t really appeal to us, so we just glanced at it as we walked. There were occasional fireworks that could have been nice. I don’t have any notes but I’m sure the rest of the night was back to RPR and quickly to sleep.

Sunday, September 4

We didn’t plan on doing EE this morning. But we were still up early. We planned to do water rides today so we all wore bathing suits or something similar. We had breakfast in the room then strolled over to IOA. We still managed to arrive during EE. You could see the lines of “other guest” that were waiting for opening to rush to Kong. We strolled through Hogsmeade for a few minutes until the rest of the park opened. We had a leisurely morning in Seuss Landing which we loved. The theming was great and for me it is all about the theming. And thankfully my kids haven’t gotten too old for a little kid ride. We spent about an hour there and then worked our way clockwise around the park. We did Storm Force Accelatron and another trip on Spiderman. I think we grabbed an early lunch at Captain America Diner.

Then it was time to get wet. First up was Dudley Do-Right’s Ripsaw Falls. Some of us (J& I) don’t like steep drops and this one had us on edge. Figuring out seating was tough. It fits 5 seated in a row. No one wanted to ride up front. So Bill said he would. As we tried to board they rearranged us. No way would Bill’s long legs fit in the front. So I ended up there, with our (waterproof) bag, totally crammed. And somehow in the reshuffling Q ended up without a parent near him which had me nervous. Plus they tell you to keep your legs straight and locked. This isn’t a comfortable “crash” position. But we survived. And as you can see got soaked! Next Jurassic Park River Adventure. This one has a drop too. Jack wasn’t thrilled but grudgingly came along. Seating was much more convenient. It has many rows of five across, so we could all cuddle in together. We managed this ride better than The Falls. We didn’t get nearly as wet. The final ride was Popeye & Bluto’s Bilge-Rat Barges. By far our favorite of the “water rides”. You get completely soaked. We would crack up with every dosing. We all like it so much we went on again, we couldn’t get any wetter.

It was around 2:30 and we were ready to head back to RPR. There was a plan to check out the lazy river at Cabana Bay and maybe grab dinner over there. After a quick rest at RPR we ended up walking over to Cabana Bay. It was longer than expected but the boat to City Walk followed by bus to CB seemed like more work. On the walk we saw Sapphire Falls. Cabana Bay was packed. Also our keys won’t let us in the pool area. I was headed to the front desk to find out how to get in (pool hopping is allowed) when someone walked out the gate and we walked in. The first area had a pool with water slide. We had to keep walking to the other side of the lobby to find the lazy river. We brought our own tubes and after a bit of a wait they inflated them for us. The price at CB was close to what I paid at Walmart, in hind sight I shouldn’t have bothered getting them ahead. We floated in the river a bit. It wasn’t too long and there were lots of people but it never felt crowded. We managed to snag a lounge chair next to the river but most chairs were taken. After a couple trips around I checked the time (I had my phone in a water proof case around my neck – can you guess where this is going?!?) and my phone was dead and there was a bit of water in the case. Catastrophe. We spent some time in the regular pool and then some dark clouds starting rolling in. I was already upset about my phone so we decided to head back to RPR around 4:30. (I think there is a diner at CB but we never found it. We did see the food court which would have been fine, too.) On our walk back the rain started, followed by thunder and lightning. The kids weren’t happy, especially Q. We made it back to RPR in one piece and regrouped in our room. I think we all took showers and dried off after our soaking afternoon and just relaxed a bit.

Finally we all NEEDED dinner. It was still pouring outside so our choices were limited – Islands Dining Room or Jake’s. We would have been happy with a fast food burger or a pizza but there are no quick and easy options. We put our name in a Jake’s and waited. Everyone else at the resort was limited to these option also, so the wait was long. We finally got seated and had the same resort-speed (slow) service. Sigh. It was the same waitress as our lunch visit and she was very nice and accommodating. The food was once again very good. It was just way past our usual bed times by the time we ate it. Needless to say it was straight to the room and bed after that.

Side note: We managed to put my Iphone in rice that night with hope of drying it out. For the rest of our trip I managed to use J’s IPod Touch so Bill and I could text each other and still stay in touch if we split up. I was able to take pictures and survive thanks to my 8 year old’s electronics. Once we got home my phone still didn’t work. But a quick trip to the Apple Store and a review of my Apple Care and I had a new phone good to go. I was afraid I might have lost the pictures from the first half of our trip because of a cloud storage issue but all the pictures eventually showed up. AppleCare is an angel!

Monday, September 5

Our final day at the parks. We did EE at IOA. We arrived at the park a few minutes before 8am and things were already open. We went straight to Hogsmeade and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. The line was much shorter than the previous time we rode, just by being a few minutes earlier. Then we went straight to Flight of the Hippogriff. Bill (and his long legs) sat it out and the kids and I rode it three times in a row. Using Express Pass we passed the same people waiting in line a few times. I felt guilty that us re-riding would make their wait longer. But I also felt like that is why we had Express Pass. It was so much fun.

By now we were thinking about getting in line for the first Hogwarts Express of the day. We missed the first train but were on the second, a fun little ride and a good way to relax. Arrived at UO and went straight to Gringots. Since this was our last day we redid a few of our favorites in UO and got a Lard Lad donut. Then we boarded the Hogwarts Express back to IOA. Boarding in UO is much more exciting. Walking through Station 9 ¾ was awesome. I would definitely suggest going this way first.

Once back in IOA we headed for Kong. It was around 11:30 at this point. We hadn’t done the ride yet and Bill really wanted to. I was indifferent to it and the kids were a little scared. Express pass was accepted but the line was still long. After hearing rumors, the kids were apprehensive during the half hour+ wait. Finally we made it to the boarding area and nothing scary has happened so we realize those rumors weren’t true. We are next in line to board when something really scary happened – the ride broke down. After a 5 min wait we hear that they are walking the people off who are already on the ride and it will be at least an hour until they are operational again. We leave.

Eventually we head to Three Broomsticks for lunch. I wanted to get The Feast with my gang. And this would be are one and only meal in WWOHP. I loved Three Broomsticks. The atmosphere was spot on. I loved how it is quick service but they still seat and serve you. We all really enjoyed the feast. There was something for all of us and it was yummy. There was too much food for the 5 of us to finish. After lunch we hit up more of our favorites in IOA. From my pictures it looks like we headed back to RPR for a late afternoon rest. It did get a little drizzle-y so maybe we just wanted to get out of the rain.

After our break we headed back to IOA with the intention of riding Kong and then taking the Hogwarts Express back to UO which would be open later. Bill and the kids headed straight to Kong which was up and running again. I request some quiet time in Hogsmead and elected to skip Kong. I really enjoyed checking out all the little details in Hogsmeade. I also spent time retaking pictures that I feared were lost on my damaged phone. I took the Hogwarts Express over to Diagon Alley for some more solo exploration. Eventually Bill and the kids met up with me with an “ok” review of Kong. I think the hype scared them more than the ride.

We did some more exploring in Diagon Alley and realized it was almost 7 and we were finally ready for dinner after our feast for lunch. However most of the quick service spots were shutting down. We really had to wander far to find anything that was still serving. We ended up in The Simpson’s food court and even there was could only really pick what was left. It was a disappointing last meal at Universal.

After eating we slowly made our way out of the park. We did some shopping for the remaining souvenirs we needed. We decided our last ride should be the same as our first ride – The Minion Ride. Loved it. We also stopped for some desserts to go. Ended up with some Brookies and who knows what else. The brookies were to die for and I didn’t know why we weren’t eating them every day.

Tuesday, September 6

We were up and out early. RPR was so quiet when we said our goodbyes. I have pictures of the kids on the airport ‘monorail’ at 6:57am. Flight was uneventful. We landed back in NJ, got our bags, got our car, stopped for a quick lunch/snack and I have a picture at 12:21 of Q passed out in the car. That is the sign of a fun filled vacation.

Since we upgraded to Seasonal Annual Passes at Universal we will be back in 2017. I’m trying to convince SIL, BIL and Niece to come with us. I’m looking at late August for that trip. And as soon as I find good airfare I’ll book. I would like to stay at HRR or PBR. I don’t think we could do Universal without Express Pass. We were spoiled by it. Also I know I do not want to stay at RPR again. It was a disappointment to me. I’m hoping one of the other resorts will fit our tastes better.

We won’t be back to Legoland. It was a fun park and I would recommend it to everyone but it is a once and done for us. Though the Legoland Resort Hotel could draw us back.

In the mean time we have an April 2017 Disney trip planned to satisfy my soul. But it is nice to know that one more visit with Harry Potter is on the horizon.

Just wanted to say I enjoyed the trip report, especially b/c we were there in the same parks at the same time (although we missed Legoland b/c of the weather - I hadn't prebought tickets and didn't feel like making the trip for a possible washout:)...

Thanks for writing it:).

Tuesday, September 6

We were up and out early. RPR was so quiet when we said our goodbyes. I have pictures of the kids on the airport ‘monorail’ at 6:57am. Flight was uneventful. We landed back in NJ, got our bags, got our car, stopped for a quick lunch/snack and I have a picture at 12:21 of Q passed out in the car. That is the sign of a fun filled vacation.

Since we upgraded to Seasonal Annual Passes at Universal we will be back in 2017. I’m trying to convince SIL, BIL and Niece to come with us. I’m looking at late August for that trip. And as soon as I find good airfare I’ll book. I would like to stay at HRR or PBR. I don’t think we could do Universal without Express Pass. We were spoiled by it. Also I know I do not want to stay at RPR again. It was a disappointment to me. I’m hoping one of the other resorts will fit our tastes better.

We won’t be back to Legoland. It was a fun park and I would recommend it to everyone but it is a once and done for us. Though the Legoland Resort Hotel could draw us back.

In the mean time we have an April 2017 Disney trip planned to satisfy my soul. But it is nice to know that one more visit with Harry Potter is on the horizon.

I really enjoyed your trip report - thanks for taking the time to share it! I know what you mean about the Express passes. They totally spoil you.

We stayed at RPR with our family of four a few years ago, and while we enjoyed the theming, like you we found the rooms quite small for all of us. On our subsequent trips we have stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel, and have been very happy there. The rooms are larger, we love their pool, and it also is a very short walk to the parks. There also are some quick grab and go breakfast items and great ice cream in their onsite convenience/food location. Hope you're able make it back again using your passes!

JUstbwanted to suggest when we stayed at RPR we had a storm at dinner. We ordered a pizza and salad maybe a sub from Flippers and they delivered it to the lobby where I met them. It was delicious.

JUstbwanted to suggest when we stayed at RPR we had a storm at dinner. We ordered a pizza and salad maybe a sub from Flippers and they delivered it to the lobby where I met them. It was delicious.
This is great advice.
But what is Flippers? I'm assuming a Pizza place on Universal or local?

It is a pizza place and there are several locations. It is not on Universal property. I got the idea from reading on here. It worked our great and always thought I could have sold that food several times over as I walked thru the lobby.

Flippers is our WBC check-in night delivery dinner.

Usually a pizza and a pasta plate to split . . . we call for delivery and

meet the driver down stairs just outside the lobby (Building 4) after the

driver gives us a call. It's fairly good and it is a easy first night supper.

Flippers is on the WBC .. ok to deliver list.

Sounds like you had a great time. What a wonderful trip report.

Two words of advice. For pool hopping at Universal just take your room key to the front desk and they will give a key to get into the pool area. We missed the lazy river too and couldn't resist a visit.

Also there is no diner in CB per say. The food court is called the Bayliner Diner. But the food is good especially if you want a quick meal alternative

Really enjoyed your report on Legoand. The hotel sounds so cool. Glad you had a good time

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter