Our First Trip to Hilton Head, Y'all! We are SOLD!

Love That Mouse

Mouseketeer
Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

Or as they say in Hilton Head, "Hear Y'all! Hear Y'all!"

Step right up as I tell the tale of a slightly hyper 43 year-old male scared of a beach vacation. . . . So when my lovely wife suggested a beach trip to Hilton Head, I was somewhat skeptical.

My questions to my lovely wife included:

• "What will we do without a race for a "fastpass"?
  • "What will I do without a Mickey Ice Cream Bar?"
  • "What will we do without the fight for a dinner reservation six months in advance that I must get up at 7:00 AM during my day off so that we can use our Tables in Wonderland card and get free valet parking so that we can park in the resort parking lot then walk or take the monorail to the Magic Kingdom to watch the fireworks then when we leave we can just walk back or take the monorail to the resort and get our car at valet thus giving us an easy escape once the fireworks are over at the Magic Kingdom (this also works at EPCOT by the way, just be sure to park at the Beach Club). . . . "

So. . .In my first attempt at a "trip report". . . .enjoy! My DW will pop-in here every now and then to give you the wife view!

Oh! And there will be pictures!

So, without further ado. . . .

Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

Or as they say in Hilton Head, "Hear Y'all! Hear Y'all!"

Step right up as I tell the tale of a slightly hyper 43 year-old male scared of a beach vacation. . . . So when my lovely wife suggested a beach trip to Hilton Head, I was somewhat skeptical.

My questions to my lovely wife included:

• "What will we do without a race for a "fastpass"?
  • "What will I do without a Mickey Ice Cream Bar?"
  • "What will we do without the fight for a dinner reservation six months in advance that I must get up at 7:00 AM during my day off so that we can use our Tables in Wonderland card and get free valet parking so that we can park in the resort parking lot then walk or take the monorail to the Magic Kingdom to watch the fireworks then when we leave we can just walk back or take the monorail to the resort and get our car at valet thus giving us an easy escape once the fireworks are over at the Magic Kingdom (this also works at EPCOT by the way, just be sure to park at the Beach Club). . . . "

So. . .In my first attempt at a "trip report". . . .enjoy! My DW will pop-in here every now and then to give you the wife view!

Oh! And there will be pictures!

So, without further ado. . . .

Yeah!!! I'm first! Ok, ready for the TR! Hopefully I can use it to convince my DH to take the trip to HHI, every time I mention it, he's all wishy washy!

Here's our cast of characters:

Myself - High School English/Drama teacher by day, Radio DJ at night
DW - Elementary School teacher
DS (12) - He's 12, need I say more. . . . ?
DS (2) - He's 2 and teething. . .need I say more?

We load up the Honda minivan and head south down 270, through the beltway, then on to 95. First thing you learn. . . DO NOT TAKE I-495 and I-95 through DC!!!! :mad: We left early and even doing that the traffic on the beltway and through Fredericksburg should be an embarrassment to civil engineers everywhere! :mad:

But I digress. . .

We stop in Florence, SC to give the entire group a break, to spend the night and to dream of marshland, the ocean, and sand. . . .

More soon (along with pictures, I promise. . . .).

I'm in, we are planning a HH trip for next June....pls give lots of details, does and don'ts. Really looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing pics.

Erika

I'm glad you enjoy writing and drama, because I enjoy reading what you write! Looking forward to more.
Bobbi:thumbsup2

I have never been a big fan of beach vacations but I am interested to see how things go with your trip.

For us it would be about a total of 10 hours driving. We would likely do this over two days (with a stop at my cousins house outside Atlanta).

Can't wait to read more. I LOVED my one trip to HHI, and I too was a little skeptical when I booked. Keep those updates coming!

OK, count me in...you got me hooked already! Love your writing style plus HHI is the EXACT reason we bought into DVC to begin with back in 1998. I can't wait to see it again through your eyes as you have your first experience.

It will be nothing like running to get your fastpass, making dining reservations long before you even know what time you will hungry, and frantically arranging your day to get in all the things the family wants to do.

This vacation should be about...deciding which pool you want to go to that day, how far down the beach to you want to walk and should you rent bicyles by the day or for the week. Tough decisions huh?

Keep it coming my friend...:thumbsup2

I'm in, we are planning a HH trip for next June....pls give lots of details, does and don'ts. Really looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing pics.

Erika

Ditto here except we are booked for the last week in October this year. Can't wait to read how your trip progressed, activities available, restaurants to visit and PICS, PICS, PICS! :lmao:

As a true HHI fan, I'm here too! I'm also especially anxious to see pictures, as well as hear all about it.

Wa-hooo! Leaving less than 2 months for our first trip to HHI, so I've got my listening ears on (well, reading ears? - nah, that doesn't make sense!) Any hoot - looking forward to your report :goodvibes

Thank y'all for your kind comments!

Okay, I'll try to limit the number of times this Yankee says "y'all". I don't want anybody to think I am being snarky and dissenting. I loved the southern hospitality!

And that hospitality was on display from the moment we arrived! Wow! Check-in was absolutely flawless and wonderful! Of course, how can anybody be in a bad mood when Shadow is sitting in his doghouse waiting for you to arrive!

IMG_1213.jpg
[/IMG]

We quickly got in our room, unpacked, and we all headed to Giussepie's (sp?) for a pizza lunch! Wow! First of all, 12 year-old and I are DIEHARD Steelers and Pirates fans! What a wonderful surprise to see the place is a "little slice of the 'Burgh" in SC!" Even if the place was decorated with those Ratbirds from B'More, the pizza was AMAZING! A DEFINITE "must-do" if you are looking for good food in a great, laid back atmosphere!

Of course, it did have an incident. . . .But not the fault of anyone but our own. . . . My DW got Pepsi spilled all over her because a 12 year-old just HAD to see the activities calendar that was on the other side of the table. . . . . Reached over and SPLASH. . . .

Then, while Dad was giving the 12 year-old the old "you need to be more responsible and be more aware of what is going on! You're being careless! Couldn't you have waited to see the calendar? Etc., Etc., Etc." conversation, Dad proceeded to spill the NEW glass of Pepsi all over DW! Yep! Two full glasses of Pepsi in less than 5 minutes! Nothing you can do but laugh at that point. Of course when I did it, that's faulty engineering of the glass. . . . :rotfl2:

Returned to the hotel room and the 2 year-old got started on a good nap while the 12 year-old went out exploring the resort. DW got out of her Pepsi drenched clothes and started the planning process for the week. Already, we could tell this was the right choice! So many things to do! Making the choices is perfect for a mother who LOVES to plan. My DW was in HEAVEN! :banana:

More to come. . . . Including more pictures. . . .Sorry, we really didn't start snapping pictures until after the nap. . . . Here's one to wet the old whistle! C'mon, who can't say "Awwwww" when there's a baby AND Shadow in a picture!:confused3
IMG_1223.jpg

And whatever Disney is paying "B'Lou," they need to triple his salary! More about that in the next post. . . . .

I'm subscribing! Brand new to DVC and are on the fence between VB and HHI for next summer, so I can't wait to read your report!:goodvibes Like others have said, I can already tell that I too love your writing style!

Susan

I'm looking forward to reading more details about your trip. DS12 and I are going to HHI for the first time in late August for a guys-only trip.

Can't wait for more - we are leaving next Wednesday from NJ, driving to Williamsburg for a day and a half, and then on to HHI for a week. Thanks for the tip about 1-95 through Washington. I was debating I -95 vs. DelMarVa penninsula and the Bay/Bridge tunnel, and that comment made up my mind!

OK, now I'm waiting for DH to come home from the store, so I can show him the pictures and the posts!:thumbsup2

So, did you book this at 7 months out? Have you mentioned what kind of villa you have? View?

Coming onboard to hear all about your trip.....HH, along with Aulani, are the only DVC resorts we have not visited.

Now that SW flies to Charleston, we just may make it up that way. Would have to rent a car from there.
Or is it closer to Raleigh??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter