OT: Way to "freshen" up your towels

Hot water, as the other poster said, is key. I have found this with my work out clothes. You name it I tried it, but they were still "not so fresh." Hot water. It's magic.

Put a cup vinegar in the rinse cycle. I promise your laundry won't smell like a salad. :thumbsup2

I read about this on an earlier thread on the DIS and reluctantly tried it after ruining a few towels trying to get the smell out with bleach and WOW it worked!

A cup of white vinegar took out musty smells that repeated washings couldn't touch. The towels do not smell at all like vinegar. I just put a cup of vinegar in wash when I put the detergent in and it worked.

:woohoo:

How does this work if you have a front loader? :)

I've noticed recently that my towels don't stay as fresh as they used to and we can't use them as many days in a row. We used to be able to get at least 5 or 6 days of use out of them before we washed them and now about 3 days into using them they smell musty and gross. I guess I just use the cup of white vinegar in my wash???

With the front loader you do the same thing, except you can't soak the towels in the baking soda & water overnight. My front loader has a pause feature but it drains the water out, so that's pretty useless. Just run it through like I outlined, only skip the soaking overnight step. Also, when I need to do that in the front loader, I add the baking soda directly into the washer with the towels instead of trying to use the dispensers. Hope that helps!

I got into the habit of pouring a cup (or more!) of white vinegar into the machine at the start of the wash (I'm never paying attention to when the rinse cycle starts! :confused3 ) when my DS would have accidents...just pee (excuse the expression.) I'd let the items soak for a while and then just run the load. It works like a charm - and now I do the same for musty towels and it works great! And so cheap - I buy the big plastic bottles of vinegar at WalMart. I've never had the problem of things smelling like vinegar afterward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter