OT-Thinking on going to school for Nurse/Dr

Honeystar120608

Mom, Photographer, Disney Lover, 100% Cannuck
Hello, this is just a thought that has been in my head. Nothing more. I have always been drawn into the medical profession. I am 27 with 2 toddlers. ANd I was just curious as to the incentives...if there are any... from the government to be drawn into these areas? I have been to college 3 times. Yes 3! :) FIrst time was for Travel and Tourism right out of Highschool. I quit half way through (which is one of the only regrets I have). I was just really young and confused. Same as the 2nd time around. However, while pregnant for my son I took Medical assistant. This was 4.5 years ago and most knowledge, i think, I pushed out with my son. I don't remember much of it except some of the computer work (which I knew half of before the program).
Anyway, I was just curious about this. I always thought I was too old, but thinking about it...the kids are 3 and 4 (well...almost) and I wouldn't want a full time job until they were independant enough to get themselves dressed and ready for school on their own (as Daddy Im sure, would be a mess trying to get them both ready and get them to school by himself). So in about 5 years is a good time for me to go full time with a profession.
I have been very interested in mid wivery as well as the birthing process absolutely amazes me and oh how I would love to be a family practioner or OBGYN... or of course a midwife. (which just have become recognized by the NB government YAY!)
Ok, this has become a long post, but Im just wondering IF I were to actually go for something like this, and would have to sell it on dh, what it would involve. Cost is a huge factor as well as time...which Im good with little sleep. ;)
We had a Disney Store here but closed the beginning of the year. I was all set to work there!! Not a HUGE goal, but the kids definitely would come first with a job like that...and I could work around the kids' hours.
Anyhoo... any thoughts or information you can pass along to me?
Thanks in advance!!!

DISNEY WORLD IN 5 WEEKS!!!! :santa: :santa: :santa: :santa:

Maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket and hope to win. Then I can afford to go to university for this. lol

Not sure of the situation in NB, but in Ont there is no government incentive for these fields, due to the high number of applicants for the programs. My wife is a nurse, and the onus for funding fell squarely on her. Here, nursing requires the completion of a 3 year BSc Nursing course from a University. You may be able to carry some of your course credits from the medical asst course, but you would have at minimum a 2 year full-time commitment and most of a year in co-op. My wife then had 10 years of part-time work before her first opportunity at full-time.
An option is taking an RPN course, which is a shorter course, and appears to be in higher demand right now.

I wouldn't recommend the RPN course over the RN...if you are going back to school just go straight for the RN as the pay is significally higher for RNs and your options are much greater in areas other than the hospital. Since you stated you are very interested in labour and delivery then a midwife course might be a good option. I don't know much about it but I do know being an RN in a hospital requires having a hubby who has a M-F job because the hours are terrible. I suspect there is a shortage of physicians where you are also...for that you would be looking at 5+ years of University and more on top if you specialize.

I agree, I would sooner be an RN than an RPN, but the OP mentioned that full-time wasn't an option at the moment, so a full-time commitment to a 3 year university course, and another 6-12 months of full-time field work would be tough. The commitment for RPN is a little less, and the pay is still good (starting at $20/hr). RPNs are also in demand in hospitals, schools, jails, nursing homes and community nursing, due to that $10/hr difference. DW is an OB nurse in a hospital, and I work shift work, it can be done with some planning.
As far as being a doctor..... it requires at minimum a 3 yr undergraduate degree (BA), 3-4 years of medical school, and 2 years of residency. With demand here, it is recommended that you get your honours BA (4th yr) before you even apply for Med school, so plan on a 9 year commitment. OB/GYN would require an additional couple years of residency.
Another option is becoming a Doula.

I am an RPN and although I want to upgrade eventually to RN with 2 small children Im happy with where Iam. I work in the community so my hours are beyond flexible I never do nights evenings etc..I get to get them ready in the am and attend all school activities and money isnt bad..:)

Then when the kids get older I may start upgrading but in community its only a couple dollars more an hour and at that point ill have to decide. I volunteer with new Moms because that too is my passion.

Good Luck with whatever path you choose.

As of 2005, all RN's graduating in Ontario have to have a four year university degree. It used to be that you were able to take a three year program at a community college. I work part-time as a RN in the heart catheterization lab. I've always worked part-time as this is what has worked best for my family, so it can be done. I also went to nursing school while my oldest daughter was little and also had a baby while still in the program. So you can do it with young children if it is something that you really want. I did alot of homework after they were in bed. You just learn to be really good at time management. Good luck in whatever you choose to do. Nursing can be really rewarding. In fact my son is now considering becoming a nurse.

So I can comment on being a Midwife...... you will need to go to University for 4 years. You are mainly in school for the first 2 years and then year 3 and 4 you are out on placement. Here in Ontario, you can be sent anywhere in the province for that placement and you must go where you are placed. As far as cost goes you will be looking at approx $80K. In Ontario, once you are graduated and working you will only earn around $70K per year. To earn that amount you must take on a full client load. The government pays per client not per visit.

If you want to be a Doula (which I am) the training is only a few days but when you begin working you are on call 24/7. So you must be able to leave your kids at a moments notice and you can be gone for hours or even days. Pay wise, it varies regionally and based on the level of experience. You can only, realistically, take on 1-2 clients per month. So you don't really make much money.

Wow that is a lot of information to chew on.
Dh and I had a good talk about a lot of it and he suggested the geriatrics ward as he knows I would do well in that area. Which oddly enough, it clicked that yeah, that is a good idea! I did some searching into that and without schooling, geriatric aids don't require any health care education. They make decent money and are on shift work. I would really love to be in the hospital. other choice is going to the retirees home..such as a widow or such, and do some light cleaning, drive them to their apts and make sure they are on track health wise with their apointments and independant living. Which, when I think of my grandmother, she is 80 and I am so proud at how much she does on her own. BUT I don't want to be a house cleaner.
Oh my.... so far Im leaning toward anything in the hospital as long as my home life doesn't suffer and everyone can work around it. I jsut can't do anything right now as the kids aren't even in school. I just want to work so badly, but am very blessed to be home with the kids..don't get me wrong. It's been 4.5 years our of the work force. I know it will happen, I just need another... oh... 4 more years. lol

If you want to work with seniors look into becoming a PSW. You only need to go to college for 2 semesters and the pay is pretty good. There are a ton of jobs in long term care residences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter