OT, Ontario transplant from Dallas

HockeyDadof2

Mouseketeer
I have a conditional job offer in the Niagra Falls area, and am considering moving my family. Could someone recommend some areas to look for homes? My office will be somewhere in Niagra Falls but any close suburb would be great. Looking for something in the 300K US range. And just out of curiosity do many Canadians have a problem with Americans coming up there to work. My kids will likely go to public schools and I am under the impression it's almost like staying in the US. I have met with a few Canadians about the position, and of course they say it's a great environment, but they have a stake in me taking this position. Thanks for your honesty.

Hi HockeyDadof2! :)

I live about an hour from Niagara Falls, but I can tell you that it's a ver beautiful area! I don't have any children, so I can't help you with the school question, sorry about that. :) I think you'll find Canadians to be very welcoming and friendly, so please don't worry about that.

I've included a link to real estate in the Niagara region. It includes all kinds of info on the different towns in the area. Have a peek, and see if there's anything that appeals to you! :)

Welcome To Niagara!

:)

Hi,
I think you'll find that life in Niagara Falls isn't really all that different from the United States. You'll get all the Buffalo TV stations. The fast food places like Wendy's, Burger King etc are all here as is Walmart and Sears. The only down side to moving here (in my humble opinion) is the weather. Definitely a lot different from Texas. LOL! But - Niagara Falls is one of the most southern points in Canada, so the weather is better than some of your Northern states. I work with Americans and my kids have gone to school with Americans. I don't think it's an issue at all. Good luck with your decision.
Nancy

If you are looking at the 300K US range look into moving to Niagara on the Lake it is so beauitful there you will love that area

I agree with DSNY FAN. Niagara-on-the-Lake would be a fantastic place to live.

Thank you all so much for the replies and links.

We are all really excited at the prospect of moving to Canada. I have two sons who play hockey so they are very excited by that aspect of the move. They know that hockey is to Canada what baseball is to the US, and my older son is really looking forward to some competitive hockey.

The sites you hyperlinked are great, I really appreciate the one with the MLS listing search engine, that is exactly what I was looking for but couldn't find one in my searches for some reason. It looks better by the minute for us, I am expecting a call today with some more good news. If anyone reads about a new development in the Niagra Falls area that is ME. :) The proposal is to develop some 180 acres into a tourist attraction of sorts. Greenhouses, a seahorse farm, ice rinks and other things. Anymore input or links are greatly appreciated.

I'm not from Ontario but have visited lots, and I was also going to suggest Niagara-On-The-Lake... such a gorgeous and quaint town. :)

HockeyDadof 2 ~ WOW! You have the best job ever! We love Niagara Falls, if fact we will be taking a mini-vacation there next week during our Spring Break. We booked a new hotel, it looks great!

When you get here, be sure to let us know and we can arrange a DISmeet at the Rainforest Cafe!

As far as suggestions go ~ what about a Disney Park! LOL! LOL!

I like looking thru MLS too. Sometimes the listings are 2 or 3 weeks behind, but you get a good idea of whats up.

Niagara Falls area is great! We love to picnic at the Niagara Glen and hiking down to the river. We even did it with ds in a baby-pack on my back. Niagara has something for everyone! S

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter