OT: New York City Hotel?

100AcreWood

DIS Veteran
Any recommendations on a New York City Hotel? We are planning a short 3 night stay in NY this Fall. It's our first visit and we're a family of 5. The cost of hotels is much higher than I anticipated. We want to spend no more than $300 a night if possible.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated my well-traveled friends!

Holiday inn express Manhattan Times Square South.

We stayed there in December. It is in W 36 street near fifth avenue. Fabulous location. We walked everywhere. It was clean. They had a delicious, although not fancy breakfast.

We are also a family of five. I spoke with a supervisor when booking and they guaranteed connecting rooms.

Right near the public library, Bryant Park, Macy's Herald Square. Ten minutes to Rockefeller Centre. Ten minutes to Times Square.

Be sure to eat at Juniors. Delicious deli in Times Square. Famous cheese cake.

Now I want to go back!

We paid $250

I love NYC in the fall but so do many other people which unfortunately makes it an expensive time to be there. Last time a couple year ago I was able to stay at the Residence Inn Central Park - great hotel (not a "typical" RI) for under $300. But it would totally depend on your dates. Rooms are compact but do include a full kitchen which could save a bit on meals and also includes breakfast. I would start by going to the big chain websites...Marriott, Hilton, Choice Hotels, etc. Plug in your dates and see which ones accept 5 in a room. Usually the suite hotels do - Embassy Suites (part of Hilton) or Doubletree Suites. I prefer staying in any area of the city over Times Square (love Chelsea, SoHo, Central Park areas) But it's possible you might find some good rates there.

I see your point about Fall prices. The same hotel in August vs. October is significantly more expensive. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

We liked the Lucerne Hotel. They have reasonably priced suites with two queen beds and a separate pull out bed. Sadly it doesn't have a full kitchen but our room had a microwave. The location was great as was the staff and room.

Good luck! I agree that NYC hotel rates are tough especially for what you get.

I like Room Mate Grace on W 45th Street. It is clean and reasonable. I don't think you could fit five in a room, but depending on the time of year you can get a decent (for NYC) rate.

I stay there with my granddaughter when we travel to NYC.

Any recommendations on a New York City Hotel? We are planning a short 3 night stay in NY this Fall. It's our first visit and we're a family of 5. The cost of hotels is much higher than I anticipated. We want to spend no more than $300 a night if possible.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated my well-traveled friends!

Any idea of which weekend you are looking at? I live in a really nice 2 bedroom on the 42nd floor of a high rise, 1 block from Central Park and behind the Time Warner Center. 59th and Columbus. Walking distance to Times Square, Bloomingdales, Theater, etc. My daughter has a bunk bed with a trundle (so sleeps 3), my room is a king. I'm considering renting out my apartment to supplement my rent. Which, by the way, would make you faint, omg. LOL!

Just a thought, it may be a great option. I've never rented it out, but I have friends who do it all the time.

If anything, if you need any help planning your visit, don't hesitate to send me a message, I've lived here 17 years and have a 6 year old.

***and look into the hotel Ink48. It's a Kimpton hotel. Reasonable room rates and it's a sceney cool hip hotel. Ive eaten, had drinks, and stayed here many nights. Very reasonable. Near the Intrepid (war ship museum). It's far west, but in a cool area and walking distance to Times Square. In good weather, there's an awesome rooftop lounge/bar/casual hangout.

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn - Times Square this past October and it was nice. Right in the middle of everything. I have no idea how much it cost though as it was a work trip and my company paid.

we stayed at the Kimpton MUSE hotel right off time square (right around the corner from the Disney store) very nice hotel worth a look . Great location and was a reasonable price when we went. Make sure to check out Ellens stardust dinner for lunch or dinner.

I booked the Affinia 50. They are having a big sale this week. Now, hopefully I can find cheap flights. Thanks!

I believe they are illegal in NYC, so if you have a problem, you are on your own.

Yikes. Didn't know that. I've had a few friends use air bnb in Manhattan. If they're illegal, I'd be hesitant though. My SIL lives in Manhattan. I'd be interested to see what she thinks.

Yikes. Didn't know that. I've had a few friends use air bnb in Manhattan. If they're illegal, I'd be hesitant though. My SIL lives in Manhattan. I'd be interested to see what she thinks.
Most people who live in NYC are against them. Just think of an apartment building as a neighborhood. Would you want your neighbors to rent out their homes to strangers week after week? And apartments are much closer together than houses - sharing the lobby, elevators, stairwells, laundry room....

NYC resident here. If you are coming on a weekend, sometimes you can find good rates at boutique hotels in midtown that don't cater to tourists. Times square can be iffy - sometimes really great prices, other times, terrible. And as a PP said, I'd stay in virtually any neighborhood in Manhattan other than Times Square (and I live near Times Sq.!).

How old are your kids? The difficulty is that with 5 people, unless one of the kids is in a crib, it is going to be hard to have only 1 room unless you try a Residence Inn, Embassy Suites or Doubletree. I'd look there first, since you'll get the most space for your money and be willing to compromise on neighborhood. Nothing will be unsafe, it will just be boring. :)

Here are some other ideas -

Boutique hotels on W. 44th Street between 5th and 7th avenues usually book up during the week but are strangely empty on the weekends.

Kimpton hotels - INK48, the Muse, can sometimes have good deals.

The London - is an all suite hotel on W. 57th st that is good space for the $

There are a bunch of small hotels near Port Authority (e.g. element, some suites and chains) that may be a good price. Nothing fancy, and a boring neighborhood, but perfectly fine. The nice thing is that pretty much anywhere in Manhattan you are walking distance from somewhere interesting even if your hotel is in a really boring area.

Any idea of which weekend you are looking at? I live in a really nice 2 bedroom on the 42nd floor of a high rise, 1 block from Central Park and behind the Time Warner Center. 59th and Columbus. Walking distance to Times Square, Bloomingdales, Theater, etc. My daughter has a bunk bed with a trundle (so sleeps 3), my room is a king. I'm considering renting out my apartment to supplement my rent. Which, by the way, would make you faint, omg. LOL!

Just a thought, it may be a great option. I've never rented it out, but I have friends who do it all the time.

If anything, if you need any help planning your visit, don't hesitate to send me a message, I've lived here 17 years and have a 6 year old.

***and look into the hotel Ink48. It's a Kimpton hotel. Reasonable room rates and it's a sceney cool hip hotel. Ive eaten, had drinks, and stayed here many nights. Very reasonable. Near the Intrepid (war ship museum). It's far west, but in a cool area and walking distance to Times Square. In good weather, there's an awesome rooftop lounge/bar/casual hangout.

As a fellow NYer in the real estate industry be very very very careful putting this out there. What you sound like you want to do is actually illegal in NYC unless you and your daughter are actually staying and your lease allows for subletting. You are not suppose to rent a apartment in NY for anything less then 30 days. While places like Air BnB and a few others will show those rentals they come with hefty fines and your landlord would have grounds to effect you and your daughter with 0 notice if you are caught. If you own and are in a condo they can still kick you out of your condo as well.

OP here. My kids are 8, 10 and 14 so we definitely need three beds. As mentioned the post above I booked a hotel.

I'm not crazy about the airbnb idea and I know they are illegal in NYC. I know I sound paranoid but the idea of staying in someone's home that might possibly have cameras installed that I can't see (I know it could happen in a hotel too) freaks me out.

As a fellow NYer in the real estate industry be very very very careful putting this out there. What you sound like you want to do is actually illegal in NYC unless you and your daughter are actually staying and your lease allows for subletting. You are not suppose to rent a apartment in NY for anything less then 30 days. While places like Air BnB and a few others will show those rentals they come with hefty fines and your landlord would have grounds to effect you and your daughter with 0 notice if you are caught. If you own and are in a condo they can still kick you out of your condo as well.

Really? I had no idea! Well, I've never done it before so that's good. I thought that New Yorkers all over did it? And could have sworn I saw postings before.
Well, good to know. To be honest, it seemed more of a pain, and stressful, to have others in my apartment and worry about my stuff. I just thought financially it made sense.
Anyhow, glad you told me.
Thank you!

OP here. My kids are 8, 10 and 14 so we definitely need three beds. As mentioned the post above I booked a hotel.

I'm not crazy about the airbnb idea and I know they are illegal in NYC. I know I sound paranoid but the idea of staying in someone's home that might possibly have cameras installed that I can't see (I know it could happen in a hotel too) freaks me out.

Yikes. I NEVER thought of that. And yes, that sounds like a nightmare horror film.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter