OT--How much should I pay my neighbor for feeding our dog??

marshallandcartersmo

DIS Veteran
I read another thread on paying someone.........so I thought I'd ask my question too!
My neighbor (right across the street) is going to feed our dog for us while we're on vacation, she's also agreed to clean our house while we're gone (she works for a cleaning service). How much should we pay her?? I asked her what she'd charge and she said "oh just pay me whatever", so I really have no clue, I've never used a cleaning service before.
Taking care of our dog would consist of letting her out of our house in the morning before she goes to work, then before she goes to bed come over and let her back in and feed her, for 7 days. We have a fenced backyard and our dog stays there all day while we're here too---sleeps inside at night.
I was thinking $10 a day, maybe $50 to clean the house?? thanks!!

DS does alot of dog sitting when our neighbors are on vacation, we also hire kids to watch our dogs while we're gone. The going rate around here is about 5.00 per trip. So, 10.00 per day if you have to go twice, 15.00 if you need to go 3 times.

It really depends on what the going rate for cleaning people is in your area. When we lived in South Florida, I had a great cleaning lady who only charged me ten dollars an hour. I don't have a cleaning person here in Michigan, but I've been quoted twenty an hour, (hence, no cleaning lady!) So I guess you should ask around and see what others are charging. Maybe some of your neighbors use cleaning ladies. As far as pet feeding, I used to pay the next door neighbor teenage kid ten dollars per day. Ask the neighbor to turn different lights on and off for you also, unless you want to put some lamps around the house on timers. That way, the burglars have a harder time figuring out if you're away. :thumbsup2

The dog feeding money sounds about right.

About the cleaning service--how big is your house? Around here (Chicago burbs) a 4 bed/2.5 bath, 2000-2500 sf house goes for about $90 per cleaning for a corporate maid service and about $70 for a local, self-employed cleaner.

you should ask her to bring in mail and paper too...since she's coming over everyday anyway...and perhaps you could bargain with her about watching her house and doing the same for her while she is away....

I have a question...How is your house getting dirty if you're on vacation? :confused3

cynjam said:
I have a question...How is your house getting dirty if you're on vacation? :confused3

It's dirty now, before I leave!!! This will save me from having to clean it before I leave. Nothing better than coming home to a nice clean house.

I forgot to say how big my house is.............about 1800 sq. feet, and it's not too dirty to begin with.

thanks for your help

I pay $10/day for cold weather, $7/day for warm weather, for my dog sitter. She comes 3-4 times/day.

I pay $72/one-time/month for my cleaning lady. She rocks! My house is comparable to yours in size. I have 4 people living here. My cleaning lady charges $12/hour.

Keep in mind that I live in Indiana. Although, Tennesse isn't that far from here. :)

Marie

The brother/sister who live next door take care of our cats while we are gone. We pay each of them $5 per day, since they split the duties.

We usually pay about $10 a day and bring back a really nice souvee for the girl who used to watch our dog. It was a steal as it will cost me $23 a day to board hom now...she has Cheer practice all week during our summer trip and I can't blame her for not wanting to be restricted to coming over to our house 3x a day on her days off.
Pets are expensive.

Pam

10 dollars a day for taking care of the dog, and $100 for the cleaning services. That is what I pay my cleaning ladies every 2 weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter