OT: Henna

DawnM

DIS Veteran
When I was a kid.....(years and years ago, LOL! ) there was a shampoo that actually had coloring Henna IN the shampoo. It gradually changed your hair to a highlighted red. I loved that shampoo but I have never seen it since. Everything in the stores I can find says, "colorless Henna."

Does anyone still make a Henna shampoo that will color your hair gradually?

Thank you!,

Dawn

Nick Chavez has a shampoo and conditioner that come in different colors.

I've used the golden blonde to freshen up my highlights and the brown to tone down my highlights. They are great for your hair and don't make a dramatic difference. They have two reds.

It is sold on QVC. Nick Chavez Hair Color Enhancing System

This looks like it enhances and helps keep your color longer but doesn't actually color your hair. I am actually looking for a replacement to coloring every 4-6 weeks if I can find it.

Thanks,

Dawn

arminnie said:
Nick Chavez has a shampoo and conditioner that come in different colors.

I've used the golden blonde to freshen up my highlights and the brown to tone down my highlights. They are great for your hair and don't make a dramatic difference. They have two reds.

It is sold on QVC. Nick Chavez Hair Color Enhancing System

I know, wasn't it the most awesome stuff?

Dawn

RedAlfalfa said:
No idea on current products, but I remember the shampoo you are talking about and LOVED it!

Yep. Aveda Madder Root. It isn't cheap, though. Usually you can get the best price on it by shopping around on the 'web.

There was a henna coloring product I used to buy at CVS taht is no longer made. I tried coloring my hair with natural henna a few months back. While I liked the color, I smelled like a hay bale for a week :crazy2: Not an experience I'd like to continue. I looked up the Aveda Madder shampoo, but it does not list henna in the ingredients. Do you use this product?

I don't know about do it yourself, my hairdresser applies a henna color every once in a while,and it so worth the money..soft,shiny, colored hair...nothing like it!

I used that as a teenager and loved it. I haven't seen it in years. Wasn't it just called "Henna" shampoo?

The Aveda looks to be another color enhansing product, rather than an actual coloring product.

Dawn

Your best bet would be to call any natural food stores in the area and ask them. It could be that you will need to apply some type of henna coloring powder first and then maintain it with henna shampoos.

Sometime ago, I used Mill Creek's Henna Shampoo and it gave my hair a nice shine. However, coloring substitute? Don't know about that, not from a shampoo.

Your post got me excited about Henna products again and I did a little on-line research. Jason's Natural products makes Henna coloring shampoos in different shades (red, brown, copper, etc). The directions are to shampoo with the shampoo until you reach your desired shade, then use another shampoo till you need a color lift. Jason's also makes a color protecting conditioner. I found it online a folica, a website that is also part of ebates (6% back- if you use their program). This was the only henna shampoo that has a variety of colors. Jasons also makes a henna shampoo, contains henna, but does not say what color it gives. My guess is browns since it was grouped with brown henna coloring products on another website. The cost of the shampoos/ conditioners were $7+ each.

yes, I have seen it and is sold in the local Indian Grocery stores here in Houston and am sure you have one in your area. check it out, they have a lot of henna products including the shampoo.

I have used the shampoo but it is better to use the actual henna in your hair and it will turn it a beatiful reddish color with silky shiny hair since it is an ayurvedic product. people use it to put design on hands but it has a lot of healthy benefit for hair also. Also coconut oil rubbed into your hair weekly will make it thick long and shiny also sold in the indian store in the hair products section. good luck :banana: :teeth:

Thank you all so much.

We have an awesome Indian store here (probably more than one, but one that I go to.) I haven't thought to look for Henna. My purchases always involved food! :-)

So, I will hit the Indian store AND look online for the Jason's. I also have a decent health food store that might have something. I need to find a GOOD health food store. *sigh* that is what happens when you move! Gotta start the searches all over again.

Thanks!,

Dawn

I had never heard of henna shampoo before but it sounds like something I would really like to try. I'm going to our natural food store this week and see if I can find it. My hair is so hard to color (and keep the color) so I'm hoping this will help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter