OT-Grandmother's 80th birthday

Lovin' Disney

DIS Veteran
Grandma's birthday is next weekend and she will be turning 80. We would like to give her 80 of something as a gift, but don't know what! Does anyone have any clever ideas? Or a better idea for a special gift??

I've seen several variations on this- but how about notes from 80 friends/family (or 2 notes each from 40 friends, whatever totals to 80 :) about a special memory or somethign that they have learned from her? I've seen it done as slips in a jar or scrapbooked, so she can look through them at her leisure.

For my dad's 50th, my mom sent out questionaires to all his friends/family and asked questions- you could go many directions with this. Hers were "where did you meet G?" and "what is the most embarassing thing you've seen him do?" "what is your favorite memory with him?" etc. People attached a photo or two if they had them. Mom had those at the party read their own, she ready those of friends not there. She put them all in a binder for him.

A family quilt? For my DH's GM's 80th birthday, they asked for each part of the family to create a specifically-sized square using fabric paint, which was decorated to represent our "branch" and the names. Then they had someone piece it together.

For my GM's 80th, I did someting similar-- I had a number of crewel squares that her husband had done when he was bedridden from an illness -- I'd had them for nearly 15 years.

As my grandmothers aged, I also tried to get something to remind them of their growing-up years. For my other grandmother, I've done Ukrainian poetry books, certificates from Ellis Island (her parents both came through Ellis Island -- they have a great website and was even able to purchase a picture of the ship and its manifest). For Christmas this year, I made homemade Christmas bread, and Fedexed it for arrival on Christmas eve. Same grandmother grew up in Brooklyn, and I was able to find (through Dover) a picture book of the neighborhood during the years she lived there -- it was a great memory jogger.

Be creative, and good luck!

Since it's next weekend and you don't have much time, I'd give her 80 1 dollar bills, or 80 flowers of some type.

Write her a letter and tell her 80 reasons why you love her.

That is the best idea I have ever heard.

Many older people do not need or want more stuff. They can use consumable items but check to see what is actually in use in the home if you go that route. My mom, for instance, cannot use bar soap or hand lotion, both of which she received for Christmas from well-meaning relatives. The letters, cards, and photos she received is what she appreciated the most.

Here's an idea. Gather up 80 photos that chronicle her life i.e when she was a young child (if any exist), her marriage, birth of kids etc. Put them in a new photo album in chronological order. What a wonderful reminder of all she has accomplished. Happy Birthday to her.:)

She will love this, my mom is 80 and cherishes anything that is handwritten or cards that come throught he mail, for her, it is the simple things in life, they don't need any more sweaters or stuff for their house, taking them out for lunch or just visiting is what they really enjoy.

I think this is a wonderful idea. Another way to do this would be to have family members write special memories they have of her or the reasons they love her on separate slips of paper and put them in a lovely box or a glass bowl and she could read them whenever she wants. Have each person write enough memories so that you have 80 different slips in the box/bowl. You could use different colored card stock so everything will look pretty.

I hope your grandmother has a wonderful 80th birthday!

Originally Posted by Vijoge

We did this for my grandma's 80th birthday and she loved it. I think it was probably the best present I have ever given anyone. She passed away a few years ago, and I'm so glad I kept a copy for myself, because I can read through it and remember how wonderful she was.

I love the little notes. My great- grandma is going to be 99 next week, we might just have to work on that this weekend.

This year I gave my 87 year old grandmother a digital photo frame, for Christmas. I preloaded it with pictures from us and my parents. She can't stop talking about how great it is to look at the pictures.

:-( Those are great ideas, but sadly would be hard on an elderly person who has limited vision. Just a thought as that is my stumbling block on ideas for my grandmother always.

The consumables, time spent or offers to spend time are all great ideas as well.

:-( Those are great ideas, but sadly would be hard on an elderly person who has limited vision. Just a thought as that is my stumbling block on ideas for my grandmother always.

My Grandmother will be 94 in February. And while her eyesight is going, she still loves to look at pictures and read letters and cards that she receives. A couple of her children send typed letters rather than handwritten because they are easier for Grandma to read. They have also sent my Mom(my Grandma lives with her) emails for Grandma. Mom then prints them out using a large, plain font.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter