OT:Best beach for families close to Disney?

bookworm

Mouseketeer
We are taking our dd and 2 friends (14 yrs.) to Orlando for the Jr. Beta Convention.....The other two girls have never been to Florida....We want to take them to a beach....What's the best one to take them to, closest to Disney?....The ocean side or the Gulf side?
Help!!
Thanks

I don't know about the gulf side. We go to Daytona which is about an hour away. Smaller beaches near Daytona are Ormond and Cocoa beach. Daytona is pretty big and busy, which we like. If you're looking for a smaller, more quiet feel then I'd try somewhere like Cocoa.

I live in CT along the ocean. The water here is about what you will find down along the ocean side of Florida. The water doesn't seem as clean, the sand is darker, similar to what we have along the CT shores,there is alot of seaweed and sometimes high surf and riptides. Also, I have seen more jellyfish along the ocean side.
The gulf side has whiter sand, almost clear water and less tides although they do have some riptides.
Can you tell I favor the Gulf shores?
I love the Clearwater beaches. They are not that far from WDW, about 1 1/2 hour, probably less. My sister lives in Clearwater within walking distance from the beach and it takes me about 1 hour and 15 minutes to get from a resort on property to her condo.
I have never been to the Tampa Beaches but I would think they would be busy.
I have been down farther, to the Venice beaches like Siesta Key and Lover's Key. I can't say enough about them, they are the best, but they are at least 3-4 hours away.
But I would recommend the Gulf over the ocean any day.

Thanks Kadesha..We were kind of thinking of Cocoa Beach....Have you ever been to Jetty Park? Are most of the beaches public beaches?

Thanks
Darla

Thanks everyone for your help...It sounds like the Gulf side would be prettier....The only time I was on the Gulf was when a storm was brewing off coast and it was really murky and lots of sea weed....So, maybe we'll try the Gulf again and hope for better weather..
Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter