Orlando Local Grocery Stores and Allergy Needs (specifically wheat free)

kellygirl2

Earning My Ears
We arrive next week and will be staying off site at Vistana. My daughter has a wheat allergy and we will be eating most of our meals in the parks. I have read all the numerous threads and think we will be fine there - we did just fine last year.

I was wondering if anyone knew which local grocery stores had the best wheat/gluten free selection of products. We usually do grocery shopping at the superwalmart near Vistana but I know our local walmart doesnt carry many gluten free products.

I am thinking about a loaf of bread, cereal bars, and some crackers, snacks for the parks and for the condo.

I can brings some of it with me but it would be easier to get when we get there. I would like to only make one store stop if I can since I have 2 year old twin and grocery shopping with them is an adventure.

We will have a car and know the area fairly well so I was wondering if anyone had any advice!

Thanks for taking the time to read my question
Kelly

:welcome: to the DIS!

I was thinking along the same lines as you.

Yesterday, I emailed Publix to see what they carried - thus far, no response. I called Goodings. The store manager said they don't provide a list, and she had no idea what items they carried. She said I'd just have to walk around and look. :rolleyes2

As far as Walmart goes, our local store is getting a dedicated 24-foot section just for GF items (at least, that's what the store manager told me yesterday). I don't know about the ones near WDW, but you might try contacting them.

HTH :goodvibes

my local Publix does carry gluten free items. While I am not gluten free some of the gluten free products are also dairy free so I use them.

my local Publix does carry gluten free items. While I am not gluten free some of the gluten free products are also dairy free so I use them.

This is good to know - thank you for the info ;) Is it spread around the store or is there a "healthy/organic" foods section?

Probably the best source for gluten-free or other special dietary foods is the Whole Foods Market in the shopping center between I-4 and Turkey Lake road, just on the South side of Sand Lake Road.

To get there take I-4 in the direction of Orlando and get off at Exit 74, Sand Lake Road. Stay in the left lane and turn left, going under I-4. Ignore the traffic light for the other off-ramp (unless it is red, then stop). The next full intersection is Turkey Lake Road. Turn left here and then make the first available left into the shopping center. Note the Whole Foods Market faces Sand Lake Road.

If you are driving from the airport and want to stop there on the way to WDW, take the Beach Line (SR-528) to where it ends and head in the direction of Orlando.

Thank you so much for all the great information. We might make a stop at whole foods because I know we can find everything we need there. Thank you for the directions. I think maybe I will jump out there and leave Daddy and the kids in the car :)

Great to know about publix and Walmart's possibly getting GF sections. That is always helpful to know when we travel.

Thanks again for everyone's information!
Kelly

Thank you so much for all the great information. We might make a stop at whole foods because I know we can find everything we need there. Thank you for the directions. I think maybe I will jump out there and leave Daddy and the kids in the car :)

Great to know about publix and Walmart's possibly getting GF sections. That is always helpful to know when we travel.

Thanks again for everyone's information!
Kelly

Whole Foods is a godsend! I don't know what I'd do eating gf and other food allergies without it. When we return to Disney, I'm planning to hit it up the night we get in and the night before we leave.:thumbsup2

This is good to know - thank you for the info ;) Is it spread around the store or is there a "healthy/organic" foods section?

Really depends on the store. My store it is spread but in another up the highway has a special section for them.

The SuperWalmart off 535 has greatly expanded their GF selections. I'm not sure if they'd have everything you want, but there is a large shelving area dedicated to GF. I noticed it as I have a friend who is recently GF and she's been looking for products ( we live locally).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter