Orignial Rides & Sailing Ship Columbia ??

DonnettaR

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know which rides were the original rides back in the 1955? What rides are still there? Do they still run the Sailing Ship Columbia? I have not read anything about this attraction. Is it a must do since that don't have it in WDW? Thanks

Lets see--the original rides that are still in DL are Peter Pan, Snow White, Mr Toad, the Mark Twain, many, but not all of the Main Street vehicles (the smaller fire enging came in 58 I think), The Disneyland Railroad, King Aurthur's Carousel, Jungle Cruise, Canal Boats of the World (now Storybookland), Dumbo, Casey Jr Circus Train, Mad Tea Party, Autopia, Main Street Cinema, Penny Arcade. Many of these have undergone changes over the years--in 1983 25% more track was added to the FL dark rides. Scenes have been added to the Jungle Cruise over the years. The Mad Tea Party, the Carousel, and Dumbo have been moved from from their original locations. And the Autopia was changed quite a bit when they redid Tommorowland back in the 90s.

Lately I've seen the Columbia out more than the Mark Twain, but they've been putting a lot of finishing touches on the Mark Twain.

The Columbia went through a recent top-to-bottom rehab and she's a thing of beauty!

Those open on Opening day, and still there

Disneyland Railorad (used to be called Santa Fe and Disneyland Passenger Train)
Horse-Drawn Streetcars
Fire Wagon (it is not longer used, but you can see it in the Fire Station)
Main Street Cinema
King Arthur's Carrousel
Peter Pan Flight
Mad Tea Party
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Snow White's Adventures
Autopia
Mark Twain Steam Boat
Jungle Cruise

The Penny Arcade and Golden Horshoe Revue were also there on opening day.

Where the Storybook Land Canal Boats is now used to be the Canal Boats of the World. This was redesigned and renamed Storybook Land Canal Boats in 1956.

The same year these rides were added that are still running today (they were not open on opening day)

Casey Jr. Circus Train
Dumbo Flying Elephants

Other than busy seasons, they vary rarely run both ships at the same time. Usually they'll run one for a couple weeks, then run the other one for awhile. Never really know which one will be running at a particular time. They almost always have one running though (there have been a few times they haven't but in general one is usually working)

Donna

Didn't there used to be a pirate ship that didn't actually go anywhere either in fantasyland or adventureland where they had tables for eating fast food? Or is my mind playing tricks on me? Seems to me I recall this, probably back in the 60s.

TIA!

::MinnieMo

ExPirateShopGirl said:
Didn't there used to be a pirate ship that didn't actually go anywhere either in fantasyland or adventureland where they had tables for eating fast food? Or is my mind playing tricks on me? Seems to me I recall this, probably back in the 60s.

TIA!

::MinnieMo

A long time ago they used to - where Dumbo is now - there was a ship that served food, and Captain Hook & Mr. Smee used to go on it. It was next to Skull Rock & some water.

Click on the picture to see the story on the Yesterland Site

Thank you, Thank you. You gals are terrific!!! Is ther nothing you don't know. I am so excited. I love all of this "behind the magic" stuff and get wait to visit. Again, thanks

When they do run both the Mark Twain and Columbia at the same time, they alternate boarding; you can just wait for the one you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter