• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ordering from Children's Menu vs. Adult Menu

emilystelzer

Earning My Ears
Are kids able to order something from the adult menu - e.g., an appetizer or dessert?

My older son, who is 9, is starting to have interest in more adult-like food and may want to pick something from our menu. I'd like to set expectations up front if he'll need to order everything from the kids menu...

Also you can order from any menu from any restaurant, example, your in Animator's Palate restaurant you can order from the Enchanted Garden menu, all restaurants use the same kitchen

Yes as noted above, anyone can order from any menu and you can also order as much of anything as you would like.

My kids (ages 9 and 10 last cruise) always ordered from the "adult" menu. They do not enjoy the selection from the children's menu. I have also seen adults order from the children's menu because they didn't enjoy the "adult" selections. Haha!

My grandson is about to turn 9, he eats plain, and loves steak, so he gets steak (no Sauces or sides) and fries(from kids menu) half the time.
I like the Mickey bar from kids menu too. :love:

DD(4) ordered prosciutto every single night...like a plate of it. LOL She rarely ate off the kids menu and opted for rare cuts of beef or a fish/seafood entree.

DH ordered mac n cheese from the kids menu every night.

A cruise is a great time to be adventurous and order something new. If you don't like it, your serving team will bring something else for you.

A few times when i told my server i couldn't make up my mind or wasn't sure of something he would bring me both and said try and if i didn't like it, don't eat it. This was different servers on different ships. And for the kids they would sometimes get mac and cheese with a side from the adult menu, or salad/soup/appetizer.

The servers are there to make sure you enjoy you meal. If an escargot appetizers followed by chicken fingers makes your kids or your day - go for it! Order a bunch of Appetizers and dessert - Why not!

My 8-year-old foodie son had one goal on our Bahamas cruise last year: he wanted to eat salmon every day, and he wanted to try at least two new things every day. The servers were more than happy to hook him up.

DD(4) ordered prosciutto every single night...like a plate of it. LOL She rarely ate off the kids menu and opted for rare cuts of beef or a fish/seafood entree.

DH ordered mac n cheese from the kids menu every night.
I love your daughter. I didn't realize I could have prosciutto every day. This Italian will be very happy.

I love your daughter. I didn't realize I could have prosciutto every day. This Italian will be very happy.

They brought her a heaping salad plate of it each day! We were like Ca-Ching...we're getting our monies' worth. LOL We are moving to Spain soon. She is going to die over all the Iberian Jamon.

I will definitely remember to ask for this on a night when I'm not thrilled by any of the appetizers!!

I love the Pasta Pursiettes that you can get in AP the first 3 days of the cruise. So, I let the serving team know how much I enjoy them and it magically appears to whatever dining room we are in for those first 3 nights. :) And they are not small portions...I am going to have to mention that I only need MY share and not everyone elses too. lol

To answer the question.. you can order off the child menu as an adult or the adult menu as a child, or a combination of both.
My 14 year old son loves the chicken noodle soup from the kids menu and then the Chateau Briand from the adult menu. He has tried Escargot, Deer venison, Sea Bass and rack of Lamb on various cruises.
My 15 year old daughter orders steak from the lighter fare menu with white rice every night or she might order the baked potato if she feels adventurous. :)
Sometimes she orders the pizza from the kids menu with a small salad.

That is one of the many advantages of cruises...they really want you to be well fed and happy and will not bat an eye to make it happen.

Funny you should ask, we were talking to our oldest DD (who turns 9 a couple of weeks before our Alaskan cruise next month) about whether she would like to keep ordering from the kids menu on our cruise or sometimes order from the adults menu - she was thrilled to find out she can order from both menus, like it very much made her day :rotfl2:

Our 6 year old on the other hand is just happy as a clam to eat mac n cheese and a mickey bar at every dinner :laughing:

Funny you should ask, we were talking to our oldest DD (who turns 9 a couple of weeks before our Alaskan cruise next month) about whether she would like to keep ordering from the kids menu on our cruise or sometimes order from the adults menu - she was thrilled to find out she can order from both menus, like it very much made her day :rotfl2:

Our 6 year old on the other hand is just happy as a clam to eat mac n cheese and a mickey bar at every dinner :laughing:

Technically a 3 year old can order off the adult menu and a 103 year old can order off the kids' menu. Unlike the theme parks, there is no set age on the menus. :)

On our last cruise, on the Animator's Palate night which has the set appetizer which I can't eat due to seafood on it, my server suggested the chicken soup from the children's menu. Something I'd never even thought about as. Sometimes I want soup but don't like what's on the menu so now I know I'll be able to at least order chicken noodle (Mickey noodles!). Since we have no children and never have sat with any, I've never seen that menu so even though I knew I could order off it, it never occurred to me to ask to look at it.

Also note that Caesar salad is always available even when not on the menu. Someone at our table ordered it every single night and he does this on every DCL cruise (of which he has done many).

Technically a 3 year old can order off the adult menu and a 103 year old can order off the kids' menu. Unlike the theme parks, there is no set age on the menus. :)

Oh yes I know, I just meant that our 6 yr old is not very adventurous (could be called a picky eater at times!) and I can see no matter how old she gets just wanting her mac n cheese :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter