Ordered me some malasadas to get in a Hawaiian vacation mood!

kdonnel

DVC-BCV
My credit card has some offers that give cash back for certain purchases. One caught my eye because it meant I could order some malasadas.

They were cooked and shipped yesterday, delivered today!

15 seconds in the microwave and they taste almost as good as getting and eating them in Hawaii!

63717939840__928D6CED-2834-40A2-9B9B-49C7D578A775.png

Yup.

https://pipelinebakeshop.com/

With the credit card offer worked out to $2.25 per malasada. Expensive but so good!

Dang, and you got them overnight shipping? We have an issue with getting stuff in 2 days when we pay for 2 day shipping. We order raw cat food from WA state with 2 day shipping(since it's raw). UPS sends it all the way past us(Omaha) to KY, and then can't seem to make it back to us in 2 days and always comes on the 3rd day. I guess we are in an unlucky zone. LOL Who do they ship with?

I love Pipeline!

Are malasadas hard to find in the continental US? Or are the Hawaii ones different from what's on the mainland?

Malasadas are Portuguese, not Hawaiian, so I just assumed they were available everywhere.

I don't know if it is a good thing or bad thing that UPS delivers so late to our house this isn't worth ordering? Tried a couple of times on GoldBelly with other things and by the time UPS delivers things are mushy. Guess we will just have to eat a lot of them this June!

I have never seen them sold anywhere other then Hawaii, not even in Portugal, but I didn’t know about them when I was in Portugal.

Malasada are not a Portuguese mainland tradition, but are specific to Madeira and the Azores islands. The resident of these Portuguese islands immigrated to Hawaii to work in the sugar plantations. Malasadas were originally a Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras tradition.

"mal-assada" = "under-cooked"

Malasada - Wikipedia

-Paul

I love Pipeline!

Are malasadas hard to find in the continental US? Or are the Hawaii ones different from what's on the mainland?

Malasadas are Portuguese, not Hawaiian, so I just assumed they were available everywhere.

We have a handful of places that sell them here in our metro area. However, it's like a Mickey Bar, buy the boxed Mickey Bars in the grocery store is not the same as a Mickey Bar at any Disney location. A malasada here is not as good as one in Hawaii!

Is it a bad thing I'm plotting all the malasada spots for our trip in a few weeks?

I've seen these offered in my favorite bahn mi shop and never tried them... frankly I wondered what the heck a 'hawaiian donut' was. Looks like I need to try it!

I love Pipeline!

I have never seen them sold anywhere other then Hawaii, not even in Portugal, but I didn’t know about them when I was in Portugal.
Having grown up in a multi-cultural immigration melting pot (South East Massachusetts) I remember having malasadas at a very young age. Still love them when I can find them but alas nothing here in central FL.

My credit card has some offers that give cash back for certain purchases. One caught my eye because it meant I could order some malasadas.

Thanks for the tip! I went ahead and ordered some that will be here next week. Really looking forward to them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter