Optional Excursions on Southwest Splendors

queenmother

Earning My Ears
Hello! We (family of 4 with a DS 10 and DD 13) are booked on the August 3rd SWS and are getting very excited. What type of optional excursions and what are the costs? I see rave reviews regarding the helicopter at the GC and the ATV somewhere else? Any recommendations are helful!

We went a few years ago and had a great time. There is horseback riding available at the Red Cliff's lodge in Moab which was a lot of fun. The guides came to see us off and took pictures. We also took a Hummer ride which was amazing. I think others did ATVs or mountain bikes. Just ask the Guides and they'll point you in the right direction.

At Sedona if you have time and are interested the Amara Resort has a shuttle that will take you anywhere within 3 miles of the resort. We went to the airport mesa there is a great view from the top and then if you go back down the hill a bit there is a park which is where the airport vortex is located. It's a wonderful hike with twisted trees and great views.

The helicopter rides at the Grand Canyon are not an option through ABD. The guides will help you make reservations if you want, but it's not something organized through them. When I went, I believe the cost was somewhere around $200 per person.

At the Red Cliffs Lodge, there are excursions that are organized through the Lodge. As the PP said, there's horseback riding, Hummer tours, and ATV tours. You sign up for those when you get to the Lodge. I didn't do any of these activities (and the ATV one was not offered when I was there in May) so I can't help you with costs; sorry, I just don't remember.

You're going to LOVE Southwest Splendors! Have a *fabulous* trip!

HTH,
Sayhello

My hubbie and I are booked on the July 6th trip and we are excited. It's getting close. I inquired about optional excursions awhile back and several people raved about the atvs at red cliffs lodge in moab. We are planning on trying as many optional activities as we can so I'll be able to tell you all about them when we get home. (about 3 weeks before you leave)

Thanks Airbear!! I can't wait to hear about it. I have also seen good reviews of the ATV trip. I hope my 10 year old is not too young to participate! My kids are so looking forward to the helicopter over the Grand Canyon. I get a little motion sick so I am planning on bringing some scop patches for me. We did one helicopter ride in Canada before and it was awesome.

At the risk of being a little bit negative, keep in mind that the excursions not through Disney do lack a little bit of the magic.

We booked a helicopter ride at the Grand Canyon, along with probably 20-24 other people on our tour. But we had to make our own way to the airport, taking the regular Grand Canyon buses, and then hiking back from where they dropped us off to the spot where the helicopter ride was. And hike back when we were done. Not really far, but not really pleasant in the heat. Plus the entire excursion ate up an entire afternoon. The ride itself was ok, but for me, not worth the price at all. I was made to sit up front with the pilot, who was not friendly, and so couldn't see or be with my family at all. Of course I might have had the better option, since in the back one of the other passengers got sick and threw up! I would have preferred, in hindsight, to save the money and more importantly to have spent that time at the Canyon itself, which was outrageously beautiful. Being in the helicopter it felt more like a movie, instead of standing right there in front of it, which was amazing.

We also did the horseback riding at Red Cliffs Lodge. They were very friendly, but only offer one type of ride - a three hour long one. My husband and older child loved it, but my DD10 and I did not. I was so sore, and unhappy, and rather bored (we went very slow and often stopped while they helped one or other other of the 30 people on the walk with us). DD10 even cried a little, but at least she didn't throw a total fit like some of the other kids in the group, who were very scared and would scream that they wanted to get off and go home (for a long time). They warned us not to let our horses stick their noses into the rear end of the horse in front of them, because that can scare and upset them - and of course DD10 then spent the whole ride trying in vain to prevent her horse from doing this, and being worried that the horses would get upset. Don't take this ride unless you understand how very long it is - there is no way to get off in the middle. Apparently it might have been a little shorter if the group wasn't as big, and there hadn't been so many slowdowns, but you can't count on that. Of course it was also very hot, but that comes with the territory. Throughout the ride I kept thinking that if it was a Disney run excursion, it would have been shorter - they always know to end things while people are still having fun!

We loved SWS, we really did, but these two non-Disney excursions were not high points.

Glassslipper, When do you do this trip? I heard that they do drop the helicopter people off now.

One little tip to SWS folks....bring a bandana and sunglasses. When you're at Monument Valley, you will be driven around in an open-air bus/tram. It is very windy there and extremely dusty. I was lucky enough to sit in the first row behind the cab where the driver/guide sits so that blocked some of the wind and dust. But the others in our group got the experience of a lifetime of being sandblasted during the entire ride (which lasted approx one hour). Also, if you happen to wear anything white on this day, expect to have a brown-colored shirt at the end of your ride. :scared1:

One funny sight we saw during this ride was when another tram in the distance carrying a bunch of Asian tourists and all of them were wearing face masks. I guess that tour guide came prepared. :rotfl2:

I agree with glassslipper about the horse ride. B-O-R-ING! All we did was walk out and back. We didn't get very far b/c we went so slow, and had to stop all the time. So not worth it.

The ATV ride, on the other hand, was beyond fun. Superb service, amazing scenery, and a real adrenaline thrill. My 11 y.o. rode on the back of my ATV. I can't remember what age she would have to have been to drive her own, or if she might have been able to then but didn't want to.

One thing to keep in mind is that the horse ride and the ATV ride at Red Cliff used up our down time, so by doing both DD missed a chance to play in the pool with the other kids. If you child is social, you may want to just have an afternoon or morning off unless everyone books something.

It's a fun trip - you'll love it no matter what you do!

Kristilew brings up a good point - somehow we did have a little time to play in the pool with the other kids, and it was very relaxing and a lot of fun for everyone. I can't remember exactly when we fit it in - I think it was one afternoon after our activity, but before dinner (at Red Cliffs Lodge). My husband actually used that time to go for a short hike on his own near the Lodge (some people just don't know when to stop!)

And yes, this trip was very, very beautiful - you will have a great time.

Sorry - I forgot to reply to the question about the helicopter ride - we did the trip just last August (2009). The guide apologized over and over, but said that they had been specifically told that they couldn't drop us off. I'm sure it has to do with liability.

We did the Hummer tour at Red Cliffs. It was awesome. We went in October 2009 and got some great pictures. Another couple in our group went ATV-ing and they had a ball too. We passed them a few times in the Hummer. Though they did have to do laundry when they got back to Red Cliffs.

I second bringing a bandanna. I even mentioned adding it to the packing list in a letter I sent to ABD raving about our guides, Tiffany and Geraldine. Don't know what they thought about the idea, since they never responded :confused3

Unfortunately, I don't remember the cost of any of the excursions. It was waaay back when in October :lmao:

Queen Mother-

We are also going on SS on August 3rd. I am traveling with my DS 10 and DD 7 - Can't wait to meet you. Glad I read this I would have never thought to bring a bandana!!

If you forget to bring a bandana, you'll have a chance to buy one at the Gouldings Lodge gift shop (Trading Post) before the tram ride. You'll also enjoy lunch in the Stagecoach Dining Room, which is like going back in time to the 1940s/1950s... it's a very interesting place.

http://www.gouldings.com/english/dining.htm

For those of you who have done the hummer tour on SS, do you drive the hummer or is there a driver? How long was the trip?

For those of you who have done the hummer tour on SS, do you drive the hummer or is there a driver? How long was the trip?

There is a driver/guide, so you just enjoy the ride (but what a ride it is!) If I recall correctly, I think the trip was almost 3 hours long.

For those taking this tour in the hot summer months, try and get a Hummer with a canopy. It'll make the experience MUCH more enjoyable...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter