Opinions Please?!

minniemmom

Mouseketeer
We are currently booked in a category 6 stateroom for the WC in May. I am looking at possibly booking category 7 with an inside room across the hall, travelling with myself (obviously!:rotfl2: ) DH, DS-21, DS-19. Do you think this would be better accomodations rather than all 4 os us in 1 cabin? (price difference is only about $100. more.) We've previously sailed in a category 5 (Disney upgrade from category 6 booking) and really like the verandah. I truly believe in booking what you will be happy with, so as not to be disappointed, but, if we downgraded:crazy2: to a lesser category (with all 4 of us in 1 cabin due to financial reasons), how do you think our chances of upgrading at the port and paying (we definitely want to pay for upgrade-not assume we will get one for free) for an upgrade (we would definitely have more money at time of sailing versus when final payment is due) would be?
I'm so confused on what to do; opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I know we just got off the Magic yesterday with a Cat 5. It was me, DW, and DD 3. I could not imagine having another person in the room. I thought it was tight and we had a connecting room with my parents and left the door open. I would go for the 2 rooms since the cost is so close.

IMHO - 4 adults in one room is way too much. I agree with the previous poster... we were 3 in the room and my DD is only 7. That was more than enough!
Your sons are adults and would probably appreciate the privacy.

As for paying for upgrades at the port - what if the ship is full???

I would take 2 rooms and have a fantastic trip!!:)

I completely understand your dilema! We've sailed twice with DCL in suites and had no issues with room. However, with college quickly approaching for two teens, we had to re-evaluate our vacation plans!

We had a short time span in October that we could vacation and not have the time off conflict with either child's sports, mid-terms, etc.! We debated a category 4 for all four of us, but quickly realized that won't work! Too many people in too small a room for us! We are spoiled knowing that we have always had more than one bathroom, shower, and all having our own sleeping areas.

We booked a category 6 on deck 5 with a category 11 across the hall. We had to book 1 adult and 1 child in each room because our sons are still not 18. We think we'll all enjoy the change and cost savings. We'll still do most things with the boys, but we can still have our privacy ;) and the boys can have their own space!

If I were in your shoes, I would book what you want and not take the chance that an upgrade was available at port. If you want to be in a verandah room, book a verandah room. If you want adjacent cabins, book them now and be at peace. If the cost difference is only $100, that doesn't seem to be a make or break cost difference. But if you wait until you get to port and then not get what you want, would you be okay with sailing in one room for all of you or in two rooms with no verandah? Weigh your options and then choose what is best for you. I wish you the best!:wave2:

I agree with getting 2 rooms when your kids are adults. On our last Disney cruise our DSs were 18 and 15 and we booked an inside for them, across from our Cat 6. It worked out very well and we were very glad that we had the second cabin. Two years before that we were all in a Category 6 but they were 16 and 13 and while it worked out fine, we were wished we would've booked them their own cabin for that cruise too.

Have a great time, whichever you decide! :)

P.S. I also think that you should book up front what you think you'd be happiest with, and not wait to upgrade at the port, just in case!

I would too, even though we have been fine with four in a room that size before and will continue to for a while. The extra bathroom will be worth it. Be sure that you get to book specific rooms numbers. If you book GTY they don't have to put you across the hall from each other.

Thanks so much EVERYONE! You guys are the best! It's so nice to know I can "vent" and have things put in perspective by my DIS friends!:grouphug: I'm stressing so much over this vacation; it will probably be our last for awhile as a family because of my DS's and college, so I'm trying to do the right thing. Thank you all!!!!!!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter