Opinions on Shades of Green?

WGCFV

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone. My wife is a US Army Veteran and we have booked a first time stay at Shades of Green in September. We have visited the property on several occasions when staying at the Polynesian, and it seems nice enough and the price can't be beat for the location! However did not really have that Disney feel to us, at least from the lobby and what we saw of the grounds, so thinking of changing to our old standby POFQ. On fence though, any thoughts from anyone who has stayed there in the past? Many thanks!

Hello everyone. My wife is a US Army Veteran and we have booked a first time stay at Shades of Green in September. We have visited the property on several occasions when staying at the Polynesian, and it seems nice enough and the price can't be beat for the location! However did not really have that Disney feel to us, at least from the lobby and what we saw of the grounds, so thinking of changing to our old standby POFQ. On fence though, any thoughts from anyone who has stayed there in the past? Many thanks!
You'd probably get better results by posting this on the Resorts forum.

I would always pick a Disney resort over SoG, but it is easy enough to walk across the street and catch the monorail or a Disney bus and get right back into the Disney bubble. I stay at SoG often as I am an FMWR employee (in fact just submitted a travel order today for an upcoming trip). Give it a try, or maybe book a split stay?

It's a great Disney resort if you want that deluxe feel and a not so deluxe price, the rooms are large, the grounds are beautiful. But from your description of what you are looking for OP, you will not be happy with the lack of Disney feel there.

We stayed at SOG a year ago. We liked the private bus service and especially enjoyed the made-to-order omelettes. A much better deal than the character breakfast we had at one of the WDW hotels.

SOG is rather dated and could use a refurb, but for the price, it was worth it.

It's not the nicest resort on property, but you cannot beat the price. It does not cost much more than a Value, and it is so much nicer than one.

Big rooms, low price, close to the Poly to walk over and catch the monorail. There's really no downside. You can see by my signature I've stayed at several resorts. I've never been disappointed by SoG.

When booking a package through SoG, do you get the park tickets with the package, or do you have to get those separately?

It's been a few years since we've stayed at SOG (we like to try different resorts each visit) but it's a beautiful resort and great location for the money.
Maybe you could do a split stay to try a few nights at SOG then move back to your ole stand-by?

When booking a package through SoG, do you get the park tickets with the package, or do you have to get those separately?

It depends on the package they are offering. I've seen promotions where it's both. I've never done one. I just book the room and then later buy the tickets I want.

We stayed at the SOG years ago. I liked the fact that we had our own bus and/or could walk to the transportation area. The best was the food at SOG was cheaper as were the sodas/etc than anywhere else.

We've stayed at SOG several times. It doesn't have a "Disney feel" to it, but that's OK with us. The trade-off is you have great transportation (monorail line from the Poly, a punctual shuttle to/from the parks) and rooms that are much larger than Disney rooms at a fraction of the price. For those advantages we're willing to get our "Disney feel" at the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter