Opinions on pool at AKL please

thumpersfriend

DIS Veteran
Just wondered how you liked this pool. The Poly pool was crazy and totally crowded 2 weeks ago. What do you think of this pool? Thanks

We stayed at the Poly on our last trip and never even went into the main pool because it was always so jammed. The quiet pool was never crowded so we'd always go there.

When we stayed at the AKL, the pool seemed bigger than Poly's (and very well may be bigger) and much less crowded. We love both hotels, but AKL seemed a little less hectic.

I was just there last week and loved the zero entry for the pool. It never really seemed crowded at all. Only problem we had was one day people kept pooping in the pool. :earseek: :earseek:
Twice the entire pool was emptied of people and the water was shocked. Everyone had to stay out for 30 minutes!
Other than that the pool was great!

Although there is only one pool at AKL, the pool is big enough that it doesn't feel crowded at all. What's nice is the zero entry area - there's plenty of space for the little ones to play without getting in the way of the older kids because the slide is on the other side of the zero entry area.

Very nice pool.

Eeyore'sthebest said:
I was just there last week and loved the zero entry for the pool. It never really seemed crowded at all. Only problem we had was one day people kept pooping in the pool. :earseek: :earseek:
Twice the entire pool was emptied of people and the water was shocked. Everyone had to stay out for 30 minutes!
Poopy pool problem?!? Gosh I hate it when that happens! :rotfl:

I was AKL over Christmas and the pool was not crowded at all. Of course, it was pretty cold and my DD was one of the few people in the pool. One night there were more lifeguards on the side than guests in the pool. My "fishy" DD was one of them and I was the other :cold:.

The AKL pool is designed to look like an oasis in the middle of an arid climate, so it is really striking. The landscaping around the whole pool area is very pretty and relaxing, especially because one of the jacuzzis is kind of shrouded with bushes. Like other posters have said, it has a zero entry and is quite large. It's fun to swim near the bridges on either side of the pool or look at the flamingoes or animals while you're in it (sometimes during giraffe feeding time you can see a bunch of the giraffes eating right near the pool area!). I love the place :banana:

We found it very crowded. The pool bottom also has a greenish tint to make it more like an African pond or oasis. The zero entry area was constantly bottle necked with people. Some guy had the nerve to ask my mother to move from the stepped entry area so his kid could play there. My mother doesn't swim so it was the one place in the pool where she could sit since the zero entry area was so busy. There was a another stepped entry area a few feet away but the guy had the nerve to ask her to move. UGH.

... I've stayed there a few times, and the pool was only really crowded during March last year.
I love the pool - very attractive - like others said, it looks like an oasis, not a
"beachy" type pool. Two hot tubs - one behind the slide with beautiful landscaping, another by the savannah so you can watch the animals while you soak :) .
The slide is pretty fun, and lines not too long.
Fast food place, Mara, is right by the pool, so you can bring your food out to eat while you lounge. Rarely hard to find a lounge chair.

We were there last Nov and even on the hottest days it didn't seem crowded. My family loved it. The surrounding scenary was so wonderful and the coffee shop was right there for snacks. It was our favorite part of the hotel.

Eeyore'sthebest said:

We were there too when that happened!! Eww! :eek: After that we didn't want to go in the pool again. We went over to the hot tub and there was so many children in it, I didnt feel comfortable going in that either. We felt that some of the children there were not being supervised at all,by there parents. :sad2:

We were at AKL during last year's spring break (April 2004) and the pool wasn't crowded at all. We loved it!

Not my favorite of the Disney pools, but it is nice. Some of the other pools on site get you spoiled, I think! I prefered CSR and the Swan. My kids didn't like AKL's as well as those others, but Good Grief, AKL's pool is really nice!!

Hi, we were there 4/17-20. The pool was crowded, too warm, very cloudy, noisy, felt dirty. We did not even swim the last 2 days! AKL was wonderful in every other way. Lovely to look at but we do not like the pool. Sorry to those that do but it felt so dirty. We are spoiled by the other resorts, if the main pool is crowded we just go to a quiet pool. The children liked it notheless! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter