Opinions on Express Pass

Carolina Beth

Earning My Ears
Will be going to Universal with my 2 teens for 2 days (and 1 evening) early May. We have park to park passes. I am wondering about EPs. Since we have never been, I’m thinking we’d enjoy most of the queues. So would we really utilize express if we had it? It doesn’t seem like we’ll be there long enough for many re-rides. I know this is a common topic, but I would appreciate more opinions on this. We are staying at Surfside. Thanks in advance.

If I was in your shoes, I'd be shelling out a few dollars for a Universal Orlando subscription to touringplans.com, and then running some personalized (and optimized) touring plans for your particular dates, to see the estimated wait times with, and without, Express Pass. Having an idea of how much time you'd really save might help you to decide whether Express Pass is worth it. And even if you decide to go without Express Pass, touringplans can help you come up with the best, most time-saving touring plan for each park (and modify it on the go with their Lines app).

I don't mean to sound like a touringplans commercial: I have no affiliation with the company, but I've subscribed to their WDW/Universal/Disneyland planning tools for each trip I've planned in the last decade, and been very happy with the results.

I'd take a look at what one night at one of the top level hotels cost (RP, Portofino or Hard Rock). It's about 650 or so for a Saturday night in early May. That's most likely the same or less than express passes for one day.

One night at a top level hotel gets you 2 days of unlimited express pass.

I really like Dockside and Surfside is very similar - so you are already in for $150 or so.

If you are going on a Friday-Sunday I'd highly recommend EP. During the week might not be as big a deal.

Yeah some of the ques are nice - but I don't want to wait an hour for a ride just to see the queue.
With Ep at least you have the option to skip the queue or ride something again with a very short wait.

If this was my first and possibly only trip, I'd want EP for the flexibility and peace of mind it offers. I'd look into the recommendation above on what it would cost for a Premier hotel with free EP for 2 days. In the past that has always come out cheaper than buying the EP separately. Other option is price out EP for one day only and save all the rides with the longest lines for that day and focus on shows, character meets, the parade, gift shops, longer meals, and less popular attractions for the other day.

I've done both trips with and without EP. Sometimes a trip without EP goes great, and with planning, we still see everything with very little waiting. Other times, it is a disaster where we wait over an hour for almost everything and see very little.

I have also noticed recently that Universal is making it very difficult to minimize wait times. It use to be you could arrive early and ride a ton of attractions by 10:00 am. That doesn't seem to work well anymore.

Our last trip we really regretted not having EP. It was supposed to be a slow time, but the wait times were ridiculous, over an hour for so many attractions. I have been during 4th of July before and not seen crowds / waits like the ones I saw this February, so you never know how it will be. I know it was bussier than anticipated, but you could also tell that a lot of the waiting was manufactured by the way Universal was handling things. This last trip really has me contemplating if I want to risk it again without EP. I feel like it use to be very doable with planning, but I'm just not sure that is the case anymore.

If you are ok with 30 to 45+ minute waits for almost everything, than go without EP. Otherwise, I would get it. I would only say skip it if you are someone who is doing a HP only trip. I don't see a reason to pay $$$ for 2 rides, the train, and a kiddy coaster even if you have to wait. There's plenty of time if only there for HP.

It's a tough call. Express Pass is wonderful. What days in early May? Be sure to check the park hours as Universal closes early (6 PM) several Fridays and one Saturday in early May for special events.

I would suggest single rider lines for some rides, but you would miss a lot of the queues. Weekdays that time should have lower crowds.

Weekdays at the very beginning of May? I'd hazard that the EPs would not be needed. For the most part, you see most of the same queue with EP vs regular standby (at least the interesting parts) - that is not the case with single rider lines but that'd be an option for quick re-rides. If I had EP anyways, I don't think I'd ever opt to do the standby queue vs doing the EP line, with the possible exception of Forbidden Journey. So that would definitely not be the reason to choose or not choose to get EP. Doing the night at a premier hotel would be the most cost effective option if you decide you want to go for EPs.

This is great information, all of you have been quite helpful! We are there Saturday night til Tuesday morning, May 4-7. I never wanted to consider a night at a premier resort but now I’m contemplating. If I decide on Royal Pacific for 1 night, how would logistics work for getting to Surfside without a car? Do they take care of luggage? If not, do we Uber?
I am going to check out the touring plans before I decide.

Last edited:

You'll have to do your own luggage. I would recommend Uber to Surfside. Not sure if you are set on Surfside, though. You could walk your luggage from RP to Aventura or CB. I've done that before. As long as your luggage rolls its not a big deal to roll it down the sidewalk garden path between hotels.

If you stayed the first night at RP they might transfer your luggage to Surfside according to another thread I was reading.

They wont transfer your luggage from Surfside to RP though.

Uber might be the easiest though

Like others have said, book your first night at a premiere hotel. They are usually cheaper than booking the passes. If you are worried about luggage keep your stay at Surfside and just book the room at RP, you don't need to use it. We only stay at the premiere hotels now but as a florida resident it is cheaper for us. the express pass is so worth it. you can bang out a park by lunch, get some pool time and finish the other park in the evening. Or just ride velicicoaster over and over and over....

So I just did the thing I told myself I would never do. Judging from the touring plans, we would have a hard time doing everything we want to at a reasonable pace without express. Because this might be my only visit, I decided to book a room at RP. I feel surprisingly relieved. Thanks again, everyone, for sharing your knowledge 😊

So I just did the thing I told myself I would never do. Judging from the touring plans, we would have a hard time doing everything we want to at a reasonable pace without express. Because this might be my only visit, I decided to book a room at RP. I feel surprisingly relieved. Thanks again, everyone, for sharing your knowledge 😊
You did the right thing. Enjoy.

Like others have said, book your first night at a premiere hotel. They are usually cheaper than booking the passes. If you are worried about luggage keep your stay at Surfside and just book the room at RP, you don't need to use it.
You really don’t have to use the room? What would that look like, do you still check in/out like normal?

Another benefit to staying at RP is that it gives you access to all the onsite resorts, so you can do an afternoon at the pool at any of the resorts including CB with the lazy river or Hard Rock with the music piped under the water. You don't have access staying at Surfside, but all the onsite connected resorts offer free hopping from one to the other. You just ask for an amenity pass at guest services at the hotel you want to visit and show them your room key from RP. They'll give you a temporary card that will work for the doors to the gym and pool.

Also highly recommend the pool bar nachos at RP. They are so good and enough to feed multiple people.

Another benefit to staying at RP is that it gives you access to all the onsite resorts, so you can do an afternoon at the pool at any of the resorts including CB with the lazy river or Hard Rock with the music piped under the water. You don't have access staying at Surfside, but all the onsite connected resorts offer free hopping from one to the other. You just ask for an amenity pass at guest services at the hotel you want to visit and show them your room key from RP. They'll give you a temporary card that will work for the doors to the gym and pool.

Also highly recommend the pool bar nachos at RP. They are so good and enough to feed multiple people.
Agree with this. We are going next week and dinner will be at Pool bar for the nachos. Also the waterslide at Portifino is really fun. My daughter spent 3 straight hours on it and honestly I spent a solid 30 minutes with her riding it.

Agree with this. We are going next week and dinner will be at Pool bar for the nachos. Also the waterslide at Portifino is really fun. My daughter spent 3 straight hours on it and honestly I spent a solid 30 minutes with her riding it.

Portofino is my favorite pool because of the foam lounge chairs and pool attendants. It's such a peaceful place to lay beside the water with a book.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter