Opinions on AKC, American Kennel Club

jjarman

DIS Veteran
I have had dogs, registered and unregistered, my entire life. And up until the last couple of years thought AKC was the best registry. But I started seeing articles talking about and showing how AKC "breed standards" have ruined some breeds. Then I got my Australian Shepherd puppy last year. She was not AKC but was eligible for ASDR, "American Stock Dog Registry". I did some research on ASDR and found they are a great organization. I know to breed pure bred dogs you need some standards. I get that. But AKC has imposed some standards on dogs that over the years have drastically changed their appearance and health. Thankfully, Aussies are not one of those breeds.

I am not a fan either of CKC since from what I have heard they are just about the opposite of AKC in that they have no standards and will register any dog.

I am now looking at getting another Aussie and may decide to breed. That's going to depend on several things such as how the new dog turns out personality wise and if my girl continues to grow into such a great dog. If I do get another I won't mind if he is AKC but will look more for if he is ASDR.

Opinions on AKC and ASDR or other registries.

Just the first couple of paragraphs are enough for me. I used to have more links about what a sham AKC papers are, but now I can't find them. Puppy mills will register several litters of the same breed as one big litter, putting the age of the oldest dogs on the forms. This allows them to pay fewer fees and sell the dogs sooner. AKC has no way to guarantee most info on the papers.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/health.../archive/2013/05/15/amp/akc-under-critic.aspx

Have to agree with Gumbo (as usual), UKC is known for the breeders staying more true to the dog's purpose/heritage. It makes me ill to see the coonhounds at AKC shows being dragged around the ring with their heads strung up in the air, when they naturally gait long and low. If I had a coated breed, I would definitely NOT go with AKC, because of the extremes that they go to.

What's most important is the health tests (and temperament) that the parent dogs go through, and how well they meet their breed's standard and purpose.

Terri

AKC seems to be more on what the dog looks like. As far as Australian Shepherds and other stock dogs, ASDR is more interested in the genetics of the dog, the pedigree. But most buyers don't care as long as it is AKC or, heaven forbid, CKC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter