Onsite, Magic Key and Park Reservations

MilitaryMouse

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! I booked an onsite stay at the DLH for end of Oct/early Nov for 10 days. It'll be my first time using a Magic Key. But I'm just realizing I can only make 4 park reservations at a time, so I wont be able to make park reservations for any days after my 4th day until I enter the park, right? For example, after entering the park on my first day, I can then make a reservation for my 5th park day. Hopefully I'm understanding that correctly.

But my main concern is - what if the park is "sold out"? Is there a separate reservation "bucket" for onsite hotel guests? Do those sell out? I guess I'm just not sure if I need a backup plan in case I can't get any more park days after the 4 initial park reservations. That would really suck, haha!

I emailed Disneyland but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks for any insight!

There is a separate "hotel bucket" of reservations for those staying onsite. This bucket usually seems to have availability, but I have also seen them sell out for some days during the busiest periods or only have one park available as the starting park. This might happen more frequently once they bring back EMH.

Is it just you? If so it might be easier to snag one reservation from either the magic key/hotel buckets as people do cancel last minute. Late Oct/early Nov also might not be as crowded if not overlapping with holidays/school breaks.

Late October is the end of Halloween season and was one of the worst times in terms of park reservations last year. Early November before Christmas season starts should be easy.

If there's any days where the hotel bucket would sell out, it's the few days just before Halloween and the time between Christmas and New Years. Otherwise, the hotel bucket is usually pretty wide open.

If I understand correctly, the separate reservation bucket for onsite guests would be used by day tickets. I have a feeling it won't apply to magic key holders since they have their own bucket of reservations, even though staying onsite. I could be wrong, but I don't think the buckets of reservations intermix.

There is a separate "hotel bucket" of reservations for those staying onsite. This bucket usually seems to have availability, but I have also seen them sell out for some days during the busiest periods or only have one park available as the starting park. This might happen more frequently once they bring back EMH.

Is it just you? If so it might be easier to snag one reservation from either the magic key/hotel buckets as people do cancel last minute. Late Oct/early Nov also might not be as crowded if not overlapping with holidays/school breaks.
No, I have 3 ppl in my family. Well, 4 but the youngest is 2YO. So it sounds like getting reservations might be tricky. Sigh. I get that the policy is for local APs to not snag too many, but it does make things hard on us out of town APs. Thank you for the info!

Late October is the end of Halloween season and was one of the worst times in terms of park reservations last year. Early November before Christmas season starts should be easy.

If there's any days where the hotel bucket would sell out, it's the few days just before Halloween and the time between Christmas and New Years. Otherwise, the hotel bucket is usually pretty wide open.
Yeah, might have to make one for 10/31 early and take my chances with the other days. Thank you for the info!

If I understand correctly, the separate reservation bucket for onsite guests would be used by day tickets. I have a feeling it won't apply to magic key holders since they have their own bucket of reservations, even though staying onsite. I could be wrong, but I don't think the buckets of reservations intermix.
Oof that would make things even worse. If I’m staying onsite, I should get access to the hotel bucket. One would think! I guess we’ll see… thanks for the info!

This is not correct. The hotel bucket can be used with Magic Keys.

Oof that would make things even worse. If I’m staying onsite, I should get access to the hotel bucket. One would think! I guess we’ll see… thanks for the info!
I have heard from others on this board that magic key holders can use the hotel bucket when staying onsite, as long as the day is not blacked out for passholders. But hopefully someone who has actually done it can comment.

With a magic key even without the hotel bucket you won’t have a problem the night before your visit making a reservation. Reservations always open back up the night before as people cancel to not get hit with a no show.

I have heard from others on this board that magic key holders can use the hotel bucket when staying onsite, as long as the day is not blacked out for passholders. But hopefully someone who has actually done it can comment.

We did it last November, picking up a Monday reservation for the busy Veterans Day weekend on the Wednesday before when we freed up a slot, using the hotel bucket with our Magic Keys. Otherwise park reservations hadn’t been available for that day for our MKs for weeks.

With a magic key even without the hotel bucket you won’t have a problem the night before your visit making a reservation. Reservations always open back up the night before as people cancel to not get hit with a no show.
^^^^ This right here. I have literally never not been able to get a day I wanted. The following day is always available the night before. I could have even gone on Christmas or New Year’s.

Here is tomorrow’s availability for tomorrow, the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend as of 9:30pm Saturday night. Interestingly DCA for today is still open as of now, shortly before closing. So interesting!

4530005D-C68C-4582-82F8-9B004921FB50.jpeg

^^^^ This right here. I have literally never not been able to get a day I wanted. The following day is always available the night before. I could have even gone on Christmas or New Year’s.

Here is tomorrow’s availability for tomorrow, the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend as of 9:30pm Saturday night. Interestingly DCA for today is still open as of now, shortly before closing. So interesting!

View attachment 672523
I’ve noticed that when the believe and lower are blocked out day of passes are almost always available until late in the day.

We did it last November, picking up a Monday reservation for the busy Veterans Day weekend on the Wednesday before when we freed up a slot, using the hotel bucket with our Magic Keys. Otherwise park reservations hadn’t been available for that day for our MKs for weeks.

View attachment 672523

Thank you guys (and everyone who replied!)! This is really reassuring! Seriously, thank you, saved me from weeks of worrying! Haha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter