One Week at Universal, 2 Days at Disney

Dockrock

Earning My Ears
Went to Universal for the first time last August for 5 days. We really enjoyed our time there and as soon as we got back we began planning for the return trip. This time I was thinking of staying 7 days onsite at Universal but, so we don't get bored (not sure it's possible but), I was considering going to Disney for 2 of those days in anticipation of spending a week there the following year in 2018. I haven't seen any recommendations on this, usually it's 5 days at Disney and 2 at Universal, so I was looking for some advice.

My son is 14, he had a great time at Universal but it seems some of Disney is geared toward the younger visitor. I was thinking of just picking 2 parks, one each day we planned to spend at Disney. I was considering Hollywood and Animal Kingdom? Does this make sense to you experienced vacationers? Is two days there just not enough, should it be 3? Or should I just stick to Universal this time? My plan is to stay onsite for the full week at Universal but travel back and forth for the 2 Disney days.

I have older teen boys and they like the MK - just more rides overall and atmosphere but of course it depends on your son's interests. Perhaps too I always feel that if I go to WDW I must go to the MK or it would feel like I haven't really been. If you get a park hopper you could do DHS in the morning (get your FP's there) and hop over to the MK in the afternoon/evening and just finish out your day there with whatever you can FP or wait in line for and enjoy the atmosphere (maybe eat there). I think with the new attractions at AK and the crowds that could be an all day park...in that it takes all day to do the major things - lol! If you're going back for a full week at WDW in 2018 then nothing wrong with just taking 2 days and see what you see.

If I had only 2 days at Disney I would chose MK and DHS. I think for a teenage boy that would be the most fun ride-wise. (Space, BTMRR, Splash at MK) and (StarTours, RR and ToT at DHS). Epcot would be my 3rd choice. AK last as far as attractions a teenage boy would like, but I don't know your son's interests. We really liked Universal (we usually do 2 days there, one for each park) and could see ourselves spending 3 days there but probably not more. Unfortunately adding a few days at the "other park" (Disney/Universal) is quite expensive as they want ALL your days to get the lower rates.

Do they like animals? I would go to Animal Kingdom if they do. My son loves animals and always wanted to include AK.

You might want to go over the rides and shows and use what sparks the most interest to decide.

I think your plan to do 2 days at Disney and choice of AK and DHS is great! Both of those parks are easy to tackle in one day each. When we first took our kids to Disney, we were so surprised that MK was probably their least favourite park. The huge crowds and longer waits in line didn't help. Our older kids actually said that DHS was their favourite of all, with Epcot a close second.

So, go for it!

Seven days at Universal seems like a lot. I really enjoy Universal, but three days is perfect for me, four or five max. I think five at Universal and four at Disney allows you to see all the Disney parks and do what you want to do at Universal.

My son is 10 and pretty much done with Disney. BUT, I convinced him to do three days there and five days at Universal. He'd be probably just as happy to stay at Universal for the whole time.

I think AK and HS would be great options for 2 days at WDW. If DS likes animals, you can spend a fair amount of time walking through the two different walking trails. I know we do!! If you haven't spent much time at WDW, there will be plenty at each of those parks to keep you busy for most of the day. Or you could go with the hopper option on your tickets and then you could do a different park if you finish up early at AK or DHS.

Does DS like Legos? If so, you might want to look into a day at LEGOLAND. I've not been there, but I've seen the pictures and I'm excited to try it once. From what I've read about it, it's geared more towards the younger kids. But some of the pictures of the Lego creations look so amazing that I want to go just to see those!!

We stayed on-site at Universal a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.

Have a great trip!

Seven days at Universal seems like a lot. I really enjoy Universal, but three days is perfect for me, four or five max. I think five at Universal and four at Disney allows you to see all the Disney parks and do what you want to do at Universal.
With the new Volcano Bay water park,new rides like Jimmy Fallon,Kong and Fast and Furious coming in and new dining additions like the Toothsome chocolate emporium Universal is easily going from 2-3 days to 4-5.What has me interested is the amount of hotels being built,aside from the three original hotels,Portofino bay,Hard Rock and Royal Pacific,and the recent additions of Cabana Bay,Sapphire Falls now they're adding the Aventura hotel and the Wet n Wild location is supposed to be a huge value resort with 4,000 hotel rooms.With the amount of hotel rooms they're building a new theme park being announced has to be right around the corner.There's even rumors of a second shopping,dining entertainment center coming in,with Volcano Bay and another major theme park that's when all of a sudden you can mention guests easily filling a whole 6-7 days and being a true rival to Disney.If Universal can find a way to have Mardi Gras and Halloween Horror nights year round I would be a happy guy,6 months of each.I just came back from the last night of Mardi Gras and its sad the event is done,I got to ride and throw beads from the floats 4 times this year and saw 3 concerts,Olivia Newton John,Earth Wind and Fire and tonight All American Rejects.I saw them also at Universal a couple of years ago and the next day the lead singer was behind me in line for Winnie the Pooh in MK,it was crazy to be seeing the lead singer of a major concert one night and then talking to him in a MK line the next day.

Last edited:
We did something similar to his, but is was the one day park challenge (4 parks in one day). We had a great time! I found that we spent the bulk of our time at AK and DHS.

Went to Universal for the first time last August for 5 days. We really enjoyed our time there and as soon as we got back we began planning for the return trip. This time I was thinking of staying 7 days onsite at Universal but, so we don't get bored (not sure it's possible but), I was considering going to Disney for 2 of those days in anticipation of spending a week there the following year in 2018. I haven't seen any recommendations on this, usually it's 5 days at Disney and 2 at Universal, so I was looking for some advice.

My son is 14, he had a great time at Universal but it seems some of Disney is geared toward the younger visitor. I was thinking of just picking 2 parks, one each day we planned to spend at Disney. I was considering Hollywood and Animal Kingdom? Does this make sense to you experienced vacationers? Is two days there just not enough, should it be 3? Or should I just stick to Universal this time? My plan is to stay onsite for the full week at Universal but travel back and forth for the 2 Disney days.

Discover Cove without a dolphin swim will cost the same or less than 2 day Disney tickets (and includes all your food and drinks that day). It also gives you free access to Aquatica and Sea World (with big coasters and animals) for 14 days. I'd buy Discovery Cove tickets for 1 day of your stay and use Sea World and Aquatica to fill in the time if you get bored with Universal...

I would do 5 days at Disney and two at universal
Absolutely agree (and I love Universal). If you LOVE Universal then maybe 3 days. You should be able to knock out Universal in 2 days without any issue. Can't say the same about Disney.

This year we are doing 3 Disney and 8 Universal. With side trips to Busch, SeaWorld and Aquatics. The kids are older now and Universal is more their speed.

Is your son familiar enough with Disney to provide some input? My teenage nephew is joining us midway through our trip which is creating a somewhat similar situation to yours in that he's going to get two days WDW and four days Universal. When we asked which Disney parks he wanted to visit, DHS was at the top of the list. He didn't have enough preference of the other three to decide so we did for him.
Another thing to consider is to wait and see if Disney has a special event - DAH, EMM, a party - you might want to just pop over for that to get your Disney fix and let it be the deciding factor about where you end up. For example, once we move to Universal I'd hate to leave but if a DAH showed up on Disney's calendar I'd book it in a heartbeat.

We did 5 days at universal in December and loved it. We then did 6 weeks at Disney...coming from Australia we wanted to make the most of our visit.
Staying on site at Universal was magical we stayed at Royal Pacific and found our stay there nicer than our on site Disney stay. The hotel was lovely and the staff were amazing.
If your son is a star wars fan HS is a must we were big fans of this park as we are star wars mad. AK was nice but we didnt spend much of our Disney stay in this park but we really loved MK. If I only had 2 days I would go HS and MK.
You know your family's interests best. So I would say go with the parks that suit your family. Universal doesn't seem to be the place for everyone but we really enjoyed our stay there and 5 days wasnt too much for us. Yes the cost is much higher than Disney but I found it to be worth the money especially staying onsite and having the benefits, no wait times for rides and very short walk to parks and walk through security made everything so simple and stress free.

Reactions: CJN
I would do Magic Kingdom and either DHS or AK, depending upon his interest. DHS has a lot of Star Wars, but AK has Expedition Everest, Kali River Rapids, and Dinosaur, all of which would probably appeal to him. While it is true that there are a lot of attractions in MK that appeal to younger kids, there is SO much to do in that park that you could easily fill your day. Plus I can't imagine telling someone going to WDW to skip Magic Kingdom!

This year we are doing 3 Disney and 8 Universal. With side trips to Busch, SeaWorld and Aquatics. The kids are older now and Universal is more their speed.

I don't think Universal sells passes longer that four days. (UCT has a good deal now on 2 day P2P with 2 Days free).

For 5 or more days at Universal, (like your plans, and the OP's), I think that is the length of visit that is the tipping point to buy an Annual Pass to Universal, rather than just tickets.

That is what happened to us last year, they told us 5 days we might as well get the annual pass, which we did. Which is why we are returning this year, just before they expire! And with the discounts you get for having the annual pass (food, shows, etc) the upgrade paid for itself, even saving money.

I don't think Universal sells passes longer that four days. (UCT has a good deal now on 2 day P2P with 2 Days free).

For 5 or more days at Universal, (like your plans, and the OP's), I think that is the length of visit that is the tipping point to buy an Annual Pass to Universal, rather than just tickets.

8 days IN the Universal parks?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter