One night onsite - which and when?

abinormal

Mouseketeer
If you were going to be staying offsite but splurging for one or possibly two nights in an onsite resort, which would you choose? And would you make it the start or end of the trip?

I would make it at the end of my trip. Not knowing anything about how many in your party, or dynamics, and which level is in your budget- value, mod or deluxe, it's impossible to give suggestions. But, our fav value is Pop, moderate is POR, and deluxe is GF.

Duh, that might help, . Next trip is only in dream stages right now, but we'd be two adults and three kids (2 under 10 and one maybe just over). At this stage budget isn't a concern. I'm thinking I just want to try the resort experience.

For my family it is Animal Kingdom Lodge, preferably at the end of the trip as a chance to relax a bit. When we stay on property we tend to make those days more about exploring the property and less about the parks. At AKL, I found that there just wasn't enough time to enjoy everything the resort offered. Personally, not much beats watching the animals from your balcony.

Duh, that might help, . Next trip is only in dream stages right now, but we'd be two adults and three kids (2 under 10 and one maybe just over). At this stage budget isn't a concern. I'm thinking I just want to try the resort experience.
In that case you'd have to look at resorts that accommodate 5. The suites at AoA, cabins at FW, Family suite at AllStars, monorail deluxe resorts and Epcot resorts have 2 queens plus daybed. My favs would be in order: GF, Poly, YC/BC. Some moderates POR and CBR have 2 queens plus pull down small Murphy. Personally I'd find the moderate too squishy for 5.

For my family it is Animal Kingdom Lodge, preferably at the end of the trip as a chance to relax a bit. When we stay on property we tend to make those days more about exploring the property and less about the parks. At AKL, I found that there just wasn't enough time to enjoy everything the resort offered. Personally, not much beats watching the animals from your balcony.
They would have to get a 1 bedroom villa at AKL to accommodate 5.

They would have to get a 1 bedroom villa at AKL to accommodate 5.
Abnormal did say splurge and it seemed as though they were asking to read about other's preferences. I assumed that they wanted to know what different people would choose and why. I ignored the logistics because they said budget wasn't a concern and that the trip was only in the dream stage. I apologize if this was incorrect.

I would do it at the beginning of my stay so I could book tickets for each day of my holiday at 60 days on a rolling basis. We would get the magic bands too so we had them for the full stay. Also because during my only trip to DisneyWorld we stayed off site then at PORS and it was such a step down in accommodation that it was disappointing whereas if we had stayed there first I think we would have been more impressed.

I would do it at the end of your trip and if this is your first onsite experience and budget isn't a huge issue, I would pick Poly. The theming is incredible, fun pool, monorail to MK plus walking distance to TTC to catch the EP monorail. If staying there, I would recommend a visit to Trader Sam's (before 8 pm with children) and dinner at O'hana.

I would do at the end of your trip as well. If the resort is a "something special" trip, I would seriously consider either Polynesian (great location and theme), Boardwalk (great location, good pool, standard rooms that can sleep 5) or - my personal recommendation - Animal Kingdom Lodge. You'd need a 1 bedroom villa for 5, but such a perfect "resort destination" that it almost feels like a vacation from a Disney vacation. AKL has wonderful things to do around the resort for kids, a great (usually not too crowded) pool area, and - of course - THE ANIMALS !

One trip, I had 3 nights at the Four Seasons and then 2 at Pop.....while we love Pop.....it was definitely a let down in accommodations (but bus service was better! hahaha)

I would do the "neater" one last....

I would do it at the end of your trip. My fav resorts in order of preference: BC, GF, YC, Poly, CSR, Pop. The pool at BC/YC is soooo great, and the location can't be beat. I think it would be a perfect splurge, especially considering the ages of your children (but then you will be spoiled and never feel at "home" anywhere else - that is what happened to us) ::yes::

Since budget isn't a concern, I think for the ages of your family and the first time onsite a good choice would be a monorail resort with a theme park view, add in club level, and do it at the end of your trip.

I LOVE the BC so that would be my pick. I would do a suite with club level if money wasn't a concern.

Abnormal did say splurge and it seemed as though they were asking to read about other's preferences. I assumed that they wanted to know what different people would choose and why. I ignored the logistics because they said budget wasn't a concern and that the trip was only in the dream stage. I apologize if this was incorrect.
Yes, this is true. I was just pointing out that they'd need a 1 bdrm since they've never stayed on site and wouldn't know room capacity at AKL

I'd do it in the beginning for practicalities. Like a PP said, having access to FPs 60 days out + magic bands for my whole trip would make the entire trip flow smoother. Plus, I'm most excited at arrival and not good at waiting until the end of my trip haha. I just think it's so cool to arrive and take the Magical Express to the onsite hotel when everything is fresh and new and exciting.

But for me, it's whatever works out logistically. Last trip, we sandwiched our onsite stay because that's just how it worked out. First night at the Hyatt MCO in the airport, next 2 weeks at Saratoga Springs Resort, then final night at All Star Music. I didn't have any issues "downgrading" although we sure noticed that Music is a lot less soundproofed than SSR...something we have never really paid attention to before!

Another vote for saving it until the end of the trip. As far as a resort, our favorite is the Poly. The rooms are large and spacious, both pools are great, and you have the beach for watching the fireworks (you can also watch them while swimming in the pool). It's also convenient to the GF and CR for a variety of great dining options :wizard:.

My reasoning for making WDW stay at the end of the trip is to save the best for last. If you do it at the beginning, it will be a let down to then pack up and go to your offsite location.

I agree ;).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter