One Day in LA - What is a MUST See?

disneystick

DIS Veteran
We are flying into LAX and driving to San Diego. Only have Sunday Dec. 24 to tour LA. What can we do or Must See in LA for about 8 hrs.? We will have a rental car so transportation won't be a problem. Also, any idea how long the drive from LA to SD will be Sunday night Dec. 24.

Thank you in advance for any advice to help us plan our trip. :Pinkbounc

What types of sights do you like and how much time do you want to spend in your car?

There's Hollywood sights, Beverly Hills sights, shopping, beaches, museums. Give me an idea of what you like and I'll try to make some suggestions. I lived there for 6 years.

I don't know how xmas eve night will be for a drive. Normally a Sunday night wouldn't be too bad (a couple of hours maybe), but I'm not sure on xmas eve night. Hopefully, most people will already be at their destination. There is an area in Orange County where the traffic can really congest if there are a lot of people on the road. It is where the 405 and 5 converge into one road. The locals call it the "Orange Crush."

My family was thinking around Hollywood... Kodak theater, Grauman's, Rodeo Dr. (not for shopping, just to say we've seen it), Walk of Fame. Is it possible to even park around these sites and walk around to check them out?

Thank you.

There are definitely pay parking lots near Grauman's/Hollywood Walk of Fame. I never went to Kodak Theater (I think it was called something else when I lived there). You can drive over to Rodeo Drive and see it in your car (Beverly Hills is about 20 minutes from Hollywood if the traffic isn't too bad). You might have time if you don't mind the driving to buy a cheapie map to the star homes around Beverly Hills (look around Sunset Blvd.) and drive to see some of the former homes of classic Hollywood stars (or maybe homes of current stars).

I think that will be a pretty full day as you will probably stop for lunch. Otherwise, head over to Venice Beach for some good people watching.

I was in LA for work last April. It was one girl (me) and 4 guys. I wanted to see Rodeo but the guys vetoed that. We did see Groman's Theater and we were outside the Kodak. We ate dinner at some Italian restaurant next to the Kodak that was pretty good.

I can't offer advice on what to see... but I wouldn't recommend the Groman's theater. I was glad to see it, I just would have rather gone to Rodeo Drive.

My sister used to live in Carlsbad and I used to drive up to LA when we'd visit her. Some fun things to do in LA" Rodeo Drive (bring $$), eat lunch at one of the trendy spots, since you have a car..get a mao tot he stars homes. That was fun. Drive by the Hollywood bowl, that house that's beat up and run down and decorated for Xmas all year, La brea Tar Pits (never been then, but will go next time), Graumann's theater (It's OK) UCLA, USC and The Coliseum, Huntington beach is neat (haven't been there in 15 years though). Traffic is really bad going south during rush hour. I thought D.C. was bad LA is much worse.

disneystick said:
My family was thinking around Hollywood... Kodak theater, Grauman's, Rodeo Dr. (not for shopping, just to say we've seen it), Walk of Fame. Is it possible to even park around these sites and walk around to check them out?

Drive to the Hollywood & Highland Center (NW corner of Hollywood Blvd & Highland Ave.) The H&H Center is a shopping/dining/entertainment complex.

Park in the underground lot. Keep your parking ticket with you.

Take the escalators up and you'll be at the entrance to the Kodak Theatre. (I went to a concert there last month.)

At the H&H Center, buy something at one of the stores, or eat at one of the restaurants, and get your parking ticket validated. With validation, parking costs $2.00 for something like four hours.

Go to the street level. Hollywood Blvd is the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Walk west a couple of hundred feet and you'll be in front of the Grauman's Chinese Theatre.

Go across the street to Disney's El Capitan Theatre, a Disney Store, and Disney's Soda Fountain.

Return to the H&H Center. Go to the upper level and look for the walkway with the view of the Hollywood sign.

Then drive to Rodeo Drive.

Woody

We just planned a trip in April for 7 nights. First 3 are at Disneyland, the next 4 are in Hollywood (staying at Magic Castle Hotel which is within walking distance to many sites.)

I can't say I've seen all these but I research everything to death and here's our list of goals (keep in mind we have small children so we aren't doing so of the stuff Adults might find interesting but Children wouldn't):

For Sure:

California Science Center
Natural History Museum (next to Science Center)
La Brea Tar Pits (mostly to also see the Page Museum)
See Movie at El Capitan Theater

Other Possibilites We'll consider:

Chinese Theater (it's walking distance to the hotel)
Santa Monica Pier (get some fresh air)
Six Flags Magic Mountain (if we are up for more rides)
Unversal CityWalk Mall (if we feel like shopping)

We've been to the Getty Museum. If you are into museum's you'll love it. The location is awesome.

It will be very easy for you to see Grauman's Chinese Theatre as it is on your way to the El Capitan Theatre.

If I were to choose between Magic Mountain and Universal CityWalk, I would choose CityWalk. Use the metro Red Line subway (the station is next to Grauman's), and it's only one stop away (then take the free Universal tran up the hill). There are street performers and sidewalk fountains (the ones with random water jets) to entertain the kids. Bring some dry clothes.

Woody

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter