• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Once Upon A Time!

Yellowstonetim

DIS Veteran
Anybody see tonight's show? I am loving this story arc with Anna and Elsa, but I also like the side stories!

A few non-spoiler items: I love Anna and Elsa. Great casting, particularly Anna. She is perfect.

Now - SPOILER ALERT! Do not read the following if you haven't seen tonight's show:

I love that they brought in "the hat!" That is awesome. And we get to meet the Sorcerer's Apprentice! We died laughing when the Sorcerer's Apprentice was turned into a mouse. So that means we now have Mickey Mouse in the Enchanted Forest!!!

And did you catch the Lady and the Tramp connection? I missed it at first. Emma and hook go to a different restaurant on a date. Italian. Your first view of the restaurant is a couple sharing a plate of spaghetti and they get one strand, eating it until their lips meet. Then Emma and Hook are seated and the spitting image of Tony walks up to take their order. That is when I figured it out. Tony's restaurant from Lady and the Tramp! That makes Emma and Captain Hook, Lady and the Tramp!

That is not all! Mr. Gold finds the Apprentice and gets the sorcerer's hat. The apprentice is sucked into the hat. Mr. Gold is now THE Sorcerer. He hires the boy Henry to work at the shop. It ends with Henry sweeping out the place. So Henry is now the new Sorcerer's... APPRENTICE! Does that make Henry Mickey Mouse or Mickey Mouse's successor? Walt's Brother? Bob Iger? :)

I am enjoying all the twists and connections!

Yellowstonetim: I started watching the show this season after catching up on the previous episodes on youtube. I really like the show and I see the underlying theme as this: Good or Evil is not written for you, you chose it for yourself. Best examples of this are the gradual change that the Evil Queen is going through ... in the words of Henry .. becomeing a Hero. She is sacrificing what she percieves as her Happy Ending ( Robin Hood) to save Robin's wife Marion. Earlier episodes showed that every time she tried to make her own Happy Ending (even when she thought she succeded like with the original curse and adopting Henry), doing Evil to get it never truly brought a Happy Ending. I am Looking forward to following the story line to see where the writers take her. She seems to be accepting that all actions (Good or Evil) have unintended concequences ... and she seems to be learning that it is better to live with the concequences (good or bad) that come from Good actions than those from Evil actions. I think that at some point, maybe at the end of the series, she will find out that the writer her story in The Book is herself, and that her actions create the pages on the book and not the pages in the book dictating her actions.

This episode also had a fairly transpanant Biblical reference: Hook's hand. Gold planted the idea that Hooks hand, since it was taken when Hook was a pirate, might contaminate his new persona and change him back to being a pirate. When Hook gives in to anger, he blames it on his hand and has gold remove it, but Gold reveals that the hand was "just a lump of flesh" and Hook was using the hand as an excuse for giving in to temptation. Hook now seems to doubt wheather he (Hook) has really changed inwardly. This brought to mind the Bible verse about if your hand causes you to sin, cut if off. I never thought that Jesus was saying we could blame our hands for sinning (and not our souls) and should cut off our hands thereby removing the blame of the sin from us. I think that Hook's story in last night's episode shows that we are responsible for our decisions and actions and can't say that we had no choice but to do evil or that some other force made us do it. This theme, to me was reinforced when Anna turned away from her dark temptation to kill Rumplestilskin. But an example of failure to turn away was given a while back when Snow White tricked the evil Queen in to killing Regina and was later shown to have a black spot on her heart.

Anyway, I like the show and I like watching it with a wide open mind to see what I can see.

I love OUAT. Big fan. Not a lot of my friends watch it so I'm pretty on my own and have to have conversations with myself about it.

I also like the Frozen story arc, but I'm a little bummed that they're going so Disney with it. I love the Disney versions of the fairy tales, but I love OUAT because they use influences of Disney, but then go their own way. It's not so close. I was so excited to see the Sorcerer's Hat brought into it, and they really did a great job with designing it to be recognizable, but still different.

When Hook - I'm sorry, Killian - and Emma had their date I was also excited for the Lady and the Tramp reference. I loved it. I'm really excited to see Emma's connection to the new Big Bad in town and discover who wrote Henry's book! This is such a great season already.

Yesterday's episode almost made me hate the sorcerers hat in Hollywood studios a little less

The Frozen story arc has now come to an end on Once Upon a Time. While not perfect in spots, I thought they did a very good job.

A few observations.

The two actresses nailed it. They both look, sound, and act the part. They are Anna & Elsa. I hope Disney can use the two somewhere else in live action work as Anna & Elsa.

Kristoff was good. He had to grow on me, but by the end he worked ok, but not as perfect as the two girls.

The story line was good and wrapped up with an ending that fit in with the Sister's love storyline. Pretty good twist actually. The show last week was very good.

Frozen canon survived Once Upon a Time. Hope we see more Disney characters.

Did anyone notice Maleficent now looks a LOT like Angelina's Maleficent?

I really liked the Frozen story arc. I think it ended well. Glad to see Elsa finally out of that ice dress and back into her coronation dress. I think she looked much prettier in the coronation dress. I agree the characters were potrayed well. I cann't remember how Kristof and David knew eachother. What episode was that? Maybe they will return through the portal for an appearance in a future season. But I really liked the sub story of Regina and Robin and the way that it "ended". I bet they pick it up again later. She is really turning into a Hero by doing the right thing. The writers even had Regina as the one erging Robin Hood to do the right thing, instead of having someone convincing Regina what the right thing to do is. Contrasted with Gold's speech to Regina in the car about grabbing your own happy ending from someone else, and then showing the viewers how it failed.

Looking forward to see how Belle is gonna cope with her realization about Gold. And maybe next season we will see Flynn Rider/Eugene.

I adore this show! I can't wait for it to come back and we can see what happens next. I love Anna and Elsa, Anna specifically. So much fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter