Once Upon a Time AFTER fireworks?

MickeyMinnieMom

If you ticket it, they will come... ;)
This is the first that I've seen Once Upon a Time taking place AFTER the fireworks. Is this relatively new? I see this is the setup in Oct... Anyone experienced this yet?

Anything different from a planning / dessert party perspective?

From Disney's calendar for Nov 2-3...

Untitled.jpeg

Have a nice trip.

Last edited:
We've seen the projection shows and fireworks A LOT over the years, and the former was always before the latter, that I can recall...

I'm especially wondering whether this changes anything wrt dessert parties... either when they start, or more likely when people head out to the reserved viewing area if opting for that version of the dessert party...

We've done the MK fireworks party twice and OAT has always been after the fireworks the nights we saw it. This happened in mid-December 2016 and this past August, so it isn't really anything new.

Thanks! I guess it was just a coincidence that EVERY time we've done it since they first debuted the projection shows YEARS ago it's been before the fireworks. Huh!

Any experience with how this impacts the dessert party with plaza garden viewing? Assume we just hang out in the reserved section until after the projection show??

It definitely makes the projection show less crowded, which for me was always a plus. I never liked the fireworks much, but I wanted to see the projection show, all the way to the very beginning with Magic, Memories, and You.

The thing is, now the superb projection portion of HEA has far surpassed OuaT, so the latter feels like a disappointment. I'm spoiled.

When we were then end of Sept, HEA was at 8p and Once upon a time at 8:45.

We tried to ride SM after HEA with our Fps but unfortunately it was down so we ended up just walking around and left as Once upon a time was starting (they were making announcement for dimming lights) We walked through the HUB and there was TONS of viewing room even the reserved grassy area had plenty of room available, although I don't know if they were letting regular people into there, didn't ask.

HEA has tons of projections so if you can't do both I'm sure you won't be disappointed not staying.

Thanks! I guess it was just a coincidence that EVERY time we've done it since they first debuted the projection shows YEARS ago it's been before the fireworks. Huh!

Any experience with how this impacts the dessert party with plaza garden viewing? Assume we just hang out in the reserved section until after the projection show??

Yeah, as others have stated, OUAT has actually been after HEA more often than not lately... but it can be before. It bounces around. :-)

When OUAT is after HEA... as it relates to the dessert party.... you’re more than welcome to stay in the Plaza Garden area but it’s no longer reserved just for party guests once HEA is over. Generally speaking more people are busy exiting the park or going to do something else by that point, so it’s not like people flood in the garden - so it’s a fine spot to pop a squat and wait if you so choose.

When OUAT is after HEA... as it relates to the dessert party.... you’re more than welcome to stay in the Plaza Garden area but it’s no longer reserved just for party guests once HEA is over. Generally speaking more people are busy exiting the park or going to do something else by that point, so it’s not like people flood in the garden - so it’s a fine spot to pop a squat and wait if you so choose.
Very helpful to know -- thank you!! :)

Honestly, that devalues that offering a good deal, IMO...

In June, OUaT was afterward as well. We did the dessert party but we did not stick around for OUaT. I loved, loved, loved Celebrate the Magic and had seen OUaT on youtube and it just doesn't compare. HEA was wonderful, though!

Ha. I have a different take in some ways, although off topic from where you were going with your opinion... I think having OUAT after HEA devalues OUAT quite a bit! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

It’s such an “afterthought” at that point and half the people in the hub don’t even know what it is / why it’s happening! I MUCH prefer when OUAT is before - sort of a nice lead in/build up to HEA and with the dessert party you have a nice view to keep you entertained whiled you wait. Afterward the show is just “blah” to me.

Although I’m with @ArielSRL too, Celebrate the Magic was sort of my little secret Disney “feels” show and I miss it a lot! DS loves OUAT, but it leaves me a little flat.

I actually think its better when it's afterwards, especially if you're doing the dessert party.

On a day with OUAT before HEA (basically when HEA is at the same time as park closing), anyone doing the plaza dessert party has to decide to either leave the party early and watch from the plaza, or skip the projection show and stay in the dessert party. On a day with OUAT after HEA (the normal schedule), you can stay at the dessert party up until the fireworks then just relax in the plaza until the projection show. Yes, people can come into the plaza, but most won't and enough people leave that it still remains uncrowded.

For my sister and I, we did the dessert party on a day with OUAT-HEA. We decided to skip the projection show and could hear the soundtrack but didn't see anything. Instead we relaxed in Tomorrowland Terrace and it was very nice. A few days later we caught the end of the fireworks (ADR ran late). Sister went to go on a ride while I just went back to the plaza garden section to watch OUAT. Definitely still plenty of room for people to spread out!

They used to do Celebrate the Magic before AND after Wishes sometimes. And I would watch it both times. :D

Exactly this for us too! Sad they are both gone, and agree with PP that it was a nice lead in, and we would camp out early in front of castle with our Sleepy Hollow snacks and stay through both (or all 3!) Will see the new ones in a few weeks - hoping to be happily surprised, and should have a good view for OUAT if people clear out after HEA, and we can grab our snacks then! :goodvibes Either way we will be in our happy place!:tigger:

On a day with OUAT before HEA (basically when HEA is at the same time as park closing), anyone doing the plaza dessert party has to decide to either leave the party early and watch from the plaza, or skip the projection show and stay in the dessert party. On a day with OUAT after HEA (the normal schedule), you can stay at the dessert party up until the fireworks then just relax in the plaza until the projection show. Yes, people can come into the plaza, but most won't and enough people leave that it still remains uncrowded.
Very helpful to know -- thanks so much for sharing your take!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter