Once a Month cooking

kikakeko

Mouseketeer
I was wondering if any of you do once a month cooking or any other variation? I am considering giving it a shot but it would be my first time... Anyone do this or tried and didn't like it? TIA!!!

I've heard about this, but have never seen any specific information. I'd love to try something like this. Any ideas on how to start?

I actually purchased the Once a Month Cooking book several years ago and actually did it one time. Yep that's right, just once.

The food was OK. I just about killed myself, and then there was a kitchen full of dirty dishes.

I actually ordered a cookbook yesterday, which focuses on the assembly of meals, which get frozen, before they are cooked, (with the exception of meatballs). You would thaw them out a couple of days in advance, and actually cook them the night you need them.

I can't wait to get the cookbook. It is called The Warehouse Gourmet. Their website is: click here

You've inspired me! I'm going to do some serious research this week and put this into action. I'm sure I won't mind the mountain of dirty dishes if I know that it gives me lots of time in the coming weeks OUT of the kitchen. In addition, it seems like a great way to save money. I'm going to keep track of how much I spend and if this works out, I'll post this on the budge board as well!

I don't do Once-A-Month cooking as I can't stand around in the kitchen that long at a time...never mind the dishes wouldn't get done afterwards without a maid! :rotfl2:

However, I do a lot of things that cut down on prep time later. In the end many/most meals end up taking very little time to put together...sort of like using Chicken Helper, but better. ;)

I buy boneless chicken breasts in bulk, toss them in the crockpot on low all day, cool down & shred. Then I repackage into meal-sized portions. There's always enough broth in the crock to freeze for a good batch of tortilla soup later.

I buy family packs of ground beef & brown it all at once, put in a colander to drain off any fat (although I usually get 90% lean) & then put in meal-sized bags and freeze.

When I make a ham, we'll eat left-oevers for a couple days & then I run the rest through a chopper. I freeze that as well - to add to eggs & a few other recipes and to make ham salad for lunches.

I make turkey often during the winter, but I don't do the whole stuffed thing. I use a good rub, cook it until it's falling off the bones & then shred that. I cook the bones to make broth & serve it like beef au jus on rolls. I also freeze it both in the broth & dry to use in other recipes.

I find that this cuts down so much on the prep that when I do make a recipe with raw meat I don't mind...because it isn't a daily occurrence, you know?

Oh - and I also freeze chicken to do on the grill (or in the oven) already marinated. That way when it defrosts it marinates. You just freeze them in a gallon Ziplock baggie...those recipes usually have "DUMP" in the title.

Now I don't do all this at the same time. I usually do one thing per week - the day after shopping day. It never seems overwhelming (like OAM does) but I get the same basic benefits.

I'm very interested in this. My sister got the OAM cookbook for Christmas, and I glanced through it, but it seemed overwhelming. However, I really need to find a way to cut down on meal costs. Is this something that could help? One other thing: I've recently had gastric bypass and am limited in the carbs that I can have for one year. Does anyone have any recipes that would fit my new diet, that my children would also like, and that are cost friendly.

I've been lurking on this thread for some time and have been really impressed with the recipes that I've seen (and tried). I would love some help from all you experienced cooks.

Thanks.

There is no way I would do this at home, but we go once a month to a place called Dinner and Dash who has all the food prepped (sliced diced or whatever is needed) and each dish is set up at its own station. You follow the recipe they post (can alter dishes to your own taste!) put it all in freezer bags take it home and just pull a couple of meals out of your freezer at a time.

The meal plan we get costs $175 for 12 meals. Since we are a small family (2 adults and 1 infant *eats table foods, but not much) I split every dish in half. That gives us 24 dinners for $175. We are spending under $100 at the grocery store each month now, and only eating out once a week (our Sunday lunch after church). We are saving SO much money!!!

It's great because some meals call for items you don't have (for example if it calls for wine - or any other alcohol - we don't drink and can't justify the cost of a whole bottle for just a small measure in the dish) and you don't have to do the cutting or cleaning! Just measure, dump in bag(s), put the cooking instructions label on the bag and you're done. Most of the meals we get are crock pot recipes - so that's even less cooking effort at home and less clean up! (fewer dishes also = less water = lower utilities bill!)

If you're interested in this method of once a month cooking, check out THIS LINK for a list of locations all over the US and Canada. The link should take you to the list by location (if I did it right ;) )

I think I am going to try to do at least a variation next month of this. I have already blown this months food budget. Anyways... I would love to see food groups like this where I live but it will never happen. I live in the smallest of small towns. and there isn't any groups that are even within a hours drive. Some of the girls that I work with might end up doing a swap if it works out well. I am getting a cook book so I will let you all know how it goes.

I've not done this as DH won't eat ANYTHING that has been frozen. I'll add tho if you plan you monthly cookin thing you could do it with a miminal amount of dishes. Such as browning all hamburger and chicken at 1 time. NO it won't all fit in pan at once take some out add more. Why wash pan? Same with veggies I might dump out the water from peas then add green beans or another veggie to the same pan. I've looked at the idea of making 2 meals at once thing too where say it's meatloaf you makin instead of 1 make 2.

I love the idea of cookin meat and at least having that much of the meal done and freezin meat in meal size portions but alas DH will not eat frozen foods. Funny he will buy them in grocery store but will not eat them from a home freezer I find that very very odd.

Oh something else to look into to save money of food is getting meat and chicken directly from the factory. My dad worked in a local chicken processing plant for many years he could buy chicken anytime. Of course that was by the box usually at that time was say 30 chickens in a box. Now I know the same local chicken factory sells bulk chicken couple times a year to anyone who wants it. Got to go get in line early tho as when it's gone it's gone. But if you could find someone who works in a processing factory willing to buy for you that can save a bundle. And I also know that the chicken was not the same price every day when dad worked there and I'm sure that holds true today. I also know the local chicken factory doesn't do many whole chickens anymore more pieces and even doin the nuggets etc now too. So don't think you'd be limited to buying whole chickens.

OK so here is a update...

I went grocery shopping for this month yesterday and planned out my meals.
Today I cooked and planned and labeled. SO what I ended up making was
2 meatloafs
3 bags of homemade spaghetti sauce
1 bag of taco meat
1 bag of chili meat
1 bag of sloppy joes
1 bag of plain for hamburger gravy
2 chicken pot pies
1 bag of barbequed chicken meat for sandwiches
1 lg bag of chicken cubed for alfredo
2 bags of broth

So not to overwhelming and a pretty good jump on dinner for the upcomming weeks.

I used to do this in my own variation. But I think we just got sick of hamburg & pasta in alot of things.

If I could find new recipes (& exciting), I might start it up again.

I still double batches & freeze the extra.

I have been doing once a month cooking since September. I really enjoy it (not necessarily the cooking or shopping day, but I do like the finished products). I find that we are eating better, that I am less stressed at meal times :goodvibes and that I am (or DH) are less likely to grab carry out or fast food as a last resort (more money for the disney addiction).

Check out www.30daygourmet.com along with some other other sites listed in other posts.

I also use a lot of my regular recipes and freeze them, some work better than others. It is just as easy (or complicated) to make two meatloafs and freeze one for another night as it is to make one for dinner tonight.

Give it a shot. Good luck!

Referring back to my previous post, where I had mentioned the cookbook The Warehouse Gourmet. I received it this weekend, and already have a couple of things in my freezer~enough for 6 meals! WooHoo!!!

The book was written by 3 separate business owners, that all have meal preparation businesses, similar to the Dinner and Dash that Travelingal mentioned in her post. All the recipes are geared to make 3-4 entrees, with about 4-6 servings per entree. Most you assemble the recipes, and freeze each entree in a freezer bag.

Pork chops and boned/skinless chicken breasts were each 1/2 off at my store this week!!!

The website, if anyone is interested is: The Warehouse Gourmet Cookbook

Okay, I took the plunge this past weekend and did the OAMC. Not so bad. I ended up with 31 dinners (I guess I kind of went overboard, but we really wanted to try a lot of different things to narrow down our favorites). Since I have a large freezer, it was no problem. I spent $270 for everything and that included a package of 30 aluminum 9x13 pans and beer/wine! This was for a family of six. Also included in this figure were breakfast items (I made 60 muffins and 24 breakfast burritos) and a large (8 pounds) deli turkey breast that I bought at Sam's Club and plan on slicing in my slicer, so lunch is really covered. The only thing I anticipate doing in the next month is visiting the produce store for veggies/fruits/milk. The huge advantage I see to doing this method is that you are not visiting the grocery store weekly, thus eliminating a lot of "unnecessary" purchases. On the downside, I do have to say that it made for 2 long days in the kitchen, but I really think it will be worth it in the long-run.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter