Onboard Booking Tip for Rookies

TML2012

Mouseketeer
We went on our first Disney Cruise in February 2017. I wasn't sure if my family would want to go on another Disney Cruise as we are a Park family.

I made the rookie mistake of going to the onboard booking desk on the last night. When I went, there was a long line up so I left. I returned a couple hours later and the line was much better. I had about 3 families ahead of me at the time. When it came down to myself and the family in front of me, a lady walked by us, looked at the line and proceeded to check in at the monitor across from the booking desk. Lol.. at this time, I realized that you were supposed to check in the line using your Cruise Card. However, I didn't think anything of it because it was clear that we had been waiting for some time.

When it was time for the family in front of me to go, I was surprised to see the lady who came after us rush to booking desk. The Cast Member was very observant and proceeded to tell the lady that the gentleman had been waiting before her. The lady was very rude and gave the Cast Member attitude about not serving her right away.

I don't know what others would do but if I was in a situation where there was a line up and it was obvious that others had been waiting but did not check in electronically, I would have explained the process to them and let those who had been there before me check in.

After the gentleman in front of me had been served, the lady went to the desk and proceeded with her questions.

When it was finally my turn, I told the Cast Member that she had done the right thing. I mentioned to her that I was also there before the other lady but thought it was best to let her be on her way. I know if I had said something, the Cast Member would have stood up for me and would have received further grief.

So my tips for first timers are:
1) Go to the onboard booking desk earlier on in the cruise to avoid long line ups.
2) There is an electronic check in station that you may not see right away depending on how long the line up is. Check in to avoid inconsiderate people jumping the line.

I wouldn't have known about the electronic check in either. I booked our placeholder summer of 2016 on the Fantasy and there weren't any sort of check in screens. Is that new?

I wouldn't have known about the electronic check in either. I booked our placeholder summer of 2016 on the Fantasy and there weren't any sort of check in screens. Is that new?
It was there on Wonder last December. It wasn't available on Magic last summer. They do not seem to advertise the fact that you need to check-in to meet the sales representative. Then again, she was always alone on our most recent cruise. Even the DVC guys had more foot traffic than her.

It was there on Wonder last December. It wasn't available on Magic last summer. They do not seem to advertise the fact that you need to check-in to meet the sales representative. Then again, she was always alone on our most recent cruise. Even the DVC guys had more foot traffic than her.
I didn't realize this was only on the Wonder. We were on the Wonder early this month. I agree that the check in monitor was not well advertised. You may not see it right away if there is a line up and you are coming from the landing where the elevators are.

We were informed by our concierge host on our last cruise that they can book place holders for you right from the concierge lounge. Beats the heck out of waiting in that line at the future bookings desk.

We went on our first Disney Cruise in February 2017. I wasn't sure if my family would want to go on another Disney Cruise as we are a Park family.

I made the rookie mistake of going to the onboard booking desk on the last night. When I went, there was a long line up so I left. I returned a couple hours later and the line was much better. I had about 3 families ahead of me at the time. When it came down to myself and the family in front of me, a lady walked by us, looked at the line and proceeded to check in at the monitor across from the booking desk. Lol.. at this time, I realized that you were supposed to check in the line using your Cruise Card. However, I didn't think anything of it because it was clear that we had been waiting for some time.

When it was time for the family in front of me to go, I was surprised to see the lady who came after us rush to booking desk. The Cast Member was very observant and proceeded to tell the lady that the gentleman had been waiting before her. The lady was very rude and gave the Cast Member attitude about not serving her right away.

I don't know what others would do but if I was in a situation where there was a line up and it was obvious that others had been waiting but did not check in electronically, I would have explained the process to them and let those who had been there before me check in.

After the gentleman in front of me had been served, the lady went to the desk and proceeded with her questions.

When it was finally my turn, I told the Cast Member that she had done the right thing. I mentioned to her that I was also there before the other lady but thought it was best to let her be on her way. I know if I had said something, the Cast Member would have stood up for me and would have received further grief.

So my tips for first timers are:
1) Go to the onboard booking desk earlier on in the cruise to avoid long line ups.
2) There is an electronic check in station that you may not see right away depending on how long the line up is. Check in to avoid inconsiderate people jumping the line.
Thanks for sharing!

We are thinking of booking a placeholder. Where is the desk for booking future cruises? Is it clearly marked?

The electronic check in system was on the Dream last August. I thought it was a pretty nice addition since we could check in and then wander around the art gallery for a bit since I knew there were several people in front of me.

I usually recommend waiting until later in your cruise to make your OBB. The reason being that the cruise you use the OBB for has to begin within 24 months of when you book the OBB. If you only cruise once every 2 years, that extra few days can make a difference when scheduling the next cruise.

I have found it easiest just to fill out the "interest card" with all of our information and drop it in the little box on the re-booking desk. Sometimes, they've put a printed copy of my confirmation in my "fish" mail slot, sometimes I've received an email confirmation, and sometimes it just goes straight to my awesome DU TA who emails me the confirmation. No wait time, no lines. :thumbsup2

I had something very similar happen on the Wonder! Except that a couple other folks and I were there prior to OBB desk opening, so the check-in monitor was not on and we could not use it... perhaps this was true for OP, as well? We were all waiting there in an orderly line, so when the CM came and the monitor turned on, we didn't bother to check in there. It seemed pointless b/c we were in line waiting already, and it was super clear to the CM that we had been there a while waiting. Of course a family who had not been waiting came up and immediately checked in on the monitor, then got very angry when the CM first assisted the 3 of us who had been waiting in line for a while. I'm not sure if there was a legitimate language barrier, or if they were faking it, but they were quite angry. The CM kept saying "this guest was here in line first" while they would gesture angrily at the monitor, and she didn't budge. She eventually tried to politely ignore them, invited me to take a seat when the first two families were finished, and quietly told me "I don't know how I could be any clearer". I was done in about 3min. All that anger, so pointless! I wrote up a positive review about her at the end of the cruise, b/c she really did try her best to be fair and polite, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the other angry family trashed her. I thought I encountered an unusual situation, but I guess not! That CM must be used to it!

I do get that the monitor helps organize the line, but maybe they should turn it on 15, 20min prior to OBB open hours, plus put a sign on the desk to indicate that you should sign in on the monitor. Since the monitor is opposite the desk, some people probably don't even notice it's there, if they're just aiming for the desk itself.

I had something very similar happen on the Wonder! Except that a couple other folks and I were there prior to OBB desk opening, so the check-in monitor was not on and we could not use it... perhaps this was true for OP, as well? We were all waiting there in an orderly line, so when the CM came and the monitor turned on, we didn't bother to check in there. It seemed pointless b/c we were in line waiting already, and it was super clear to the CM that we had been there a while waiting. Of course a family who had not been waiting came up and immediately checked in on the monitor, then got very angry when the CM first assisted the 3 of us who had been waiting in line for a while. I'm not sure if there was a legitimate language barrier, or if they were faking it, but they were quite angry. The CM kept saying "this guest was here in line first" while they would gesture angrily at the monitor, and she didn't budge. She eventually tried to politely ignore them, invited me to take a seat when the first two families were finished, and quietly told me "I don't know how I could be any clearer". I was done in about 3min. All that anger, so pointless! I wrote up a positive review about her at the end of the cruise, b/c she really did try her best to be fair and polite, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the other angry family trashed her. I thought I encountered an unusual situation, but I guess not! That CM must be used to it!

I do get that the monitor helps organize the line, but maybe they should turn it on 15, 20min prior to OBB open hours, plus put a sign on the desk to indicate that you should sign in on the monitor. Since the monitor is opposite the desk, some people probably don't even notice it's there, if they're just aiming for the desk itself.
I think your suggestions would make the process a lot better.

Last edited:
I did not see this on the Fantasy a couple of weeks ago. That booking area is still on Deck 4 across from the Connect at Sea folks and next to the shopping desk. We always book a placeholder in the first two days of the cruise. It avoids a lot of waiting.

On the Wonder we did our OBB sitting at the desk waiting prior to the CM arriving but needing to verify after the fact when one email confirmation for a second placeholder not coming through had to use the kiosk. As PP indicated signage you are required to sign in AND having the system up prior to the desk opening would be necessary to avoid waiting vs signed in conflict.

The system definitely does work well and with ones wave phone - you get an initial message of your position and as you move up the queue, reminders to head back to the desk. The kiosk as well shows the wait positions of all.

This was not in place on the Magic on 2/17/17, but it's a good idea

I have found it easiest just to fill out the "interest card" with all of our information and drop it in the little box on the re-booking desk. Sometimes, they've put a printed copy of my confirmation in my "fish" mail slot, sometimes I've received an email confirmation, and sometimes it just goes straight to my awesome DU TA who emails me the confirmation. No wait time, no lines. :thumbsup2

This is exactly what we do! We even ask for a specific stateroom # we'd like. Has worked every time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter