? on recent air security

tecdavidt

<font color=00cc00>Ready to leave the frosty Midwe
We are going on a cruise Jan. 12th. We are preparing ourselves for our Spring Break cruise on DCL. My question involves airline security.

Ladies, how many of you take your cosmetics and grooming needs in your carry-on? If you packed them in a checked bag, did it make the flight OK? I know the cargo area is not heated in the winter and we are coming from Des Moines, old man winter finally arrived the weekend before Christmas BRRRR.
I have always carried these items with me just in case my luggage was lost or delayed. I just don't want the stuff to freeze if I check it.

Another question, aerosol hairspray has to be in checked bags correct? I know I read that somebody on this board had their facial toner taken away. Also, tweezers, nail files, nail clippers and small scissors need to be in checked bags correct?

This cruise is helping me prepare for our big on in March when all the children are going. I don't want any surprises at the airport in March.

Thank you Kathy

I'll take my basic make-up bag in my carry-on. Things like scissors, metal nail files and tweezers will need to go in the checked luggage as you mentioned. Other toiletries, I will carry on. Try to keep everything in their orginal containers if possible for easy identity. I would recommend getting travel sizes rather than full sizes though.

I don't use aresol deodrant or hairspray, so that isn't a problem for me. You might want to consider getting a roll-on/pump option of some of your cosmetics for the trip just to ease your worry. These types of products also tend to have fewer problems with air pressure changes during airline travel. I would recommend packing any of these items in a ziploc bag just to be safe.

Another suggestion.... my husband and I each take a carry-on. In his, there is nothing what-so-ever that might arouse suspicion. Only changes of clothes, swimsuits, etc. No funny shaped objects, no metal, etc. In my bag goes everything that might get a question - the toiletries, make-up, film, camera, cell phone, etc. This way, if they do decide to question the items, only one of us is stopped and we don't have a double delay.

good luck!
Julie

Hi Kathy!

As one who had her carry-on bag DUMPED out at the gate by security flying home from Orlando on 12/18, I can tell you that most definitely your life will be simpler if you pack as MUCH as you can in your checked baggage.

I had forgotten to re-pack a couple of things and had nail clippers confiscated. :rolleyes: The security agents poked each other with my tweezers and decided that they were okay, but they also took a few SAFETY PINS I had in a jewelry bag. My hairspray was packed in my checked bag, so it was fine. It was a major pain to go through all that, though, and I will be prepared next time.

On my October trip I carried very little on the plane and had ALL my toiletries in my checked bag. In December I didn't have room to do that as my daughter's things were packed with mine. In the future, I will do all I can to be sure I put as much as possible in my checked bags. I store everything that could possibly leak inside ziploc bags and inside zippered containers, and everything has been fine. The only things I will carry on are medications and any valuables such as cameras or jewelry.

Have a great time! :)

Hehe... I'm sorry, but I'm just sitting here in giggling fits with the mental image of a couple of security guards poking each other with your tweezers. Like a 3 Stooges skit.

And why would they do this anyway? Is that in the training? "If all else fails, troops, poke each other with the item in question multiple times. If no one is bleeding, let them off with a warning..."

ohhh... I need a cruise... *sigh*

A big thank you to all. I will stock up on Zip Lock bags and pack as much as I can in the checked bag. I have cruised a lot so I do have small packages but not all is in the original container, example my cleanser cream. The toner is in a small travel size and it does state on the back what is in the toner, no alcohol so I hope they read in case they rip open our checked bags.

Kathy

Cruise, a 3 Stooges skit is a VERY apt description of what happened! :rolleyes: :D

I'm all for the increased security, don't get me wrong, but my little slant-tip tweezers are not exactly dangerous. :)

Kathy, don't worry about your CHECKED bags, they do not open those. :)

Keep in mind, at least with Delta, you can be pulled for a COMPLETE check - which means emptying EVERY suitcase - even the checked ones... this happened to a friend, and the person in line in front of us in November... I felt so sorry for her, a lone adult traveling with two children!

Also, I was amazed that we got through security with no problem - made mom check her crochet gear - except for my 5 year old daughter - they dumped her backpack... said they couldn't identify her little plastic rings... we checked those for the trip back!

oh yes, the dreaded selectee..... :D Boy do you get tossed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter