"Older" CP's and ICP's

Becsta

Earning My Ears
So I've recently applied to do the Aus/NZ ICP in January 2015. I am older than your 'traditional' college student at the grand old age of 30 (I'll be 31 when the program starts). I went to university in my early 20's started a career as a school teacher and then after a few years decided to pursue my love of the arts and live performance and went back to school. I have wanted to work for Disney for some time now but only recently discovered the ICP and am pretty excited to apply.

I have a few questions though in regards to age and would love to hear people's thoughts on any or all of these:
1. I've read that there are older people who do the program but I'm wondering how many people there would be in that 26-35 age bracket? What have people experienced of this?
2. For people who have done/are doing the program at a 'non-traditional' age, what was your experience of the whole situation, particularly the housing.
3. What is the acceptance like from younger CP's/ICP's?
4. People who did the program at a younger age and had friends/roommates etc that were a bit older and had a positive experience, I'd love to hear from you!

I'm curious because I've come across a little bit of negativity, like younger applicants saying "Oh I wouldn't want to live with an older person, that would be so awkward!" I hate the stereotype that older students are all control-freaks and dorky, because I don't feel like that at all. (Ok, so yes I'm dorky, but I was like that when I was 20 as well :p) I have a lot of friends at all different ages and always have. All of my classmates atm are between the ages of 18 and 22 and I get along really well with all of them and have becomes close friends with several too. There is a part of me that wonders if I should lie to my roommates and pretend to be like 23 or something because apparently that's the age people think I am :confused3

Well my son is coming to DW from DLR and he is 26.He is a former CP last year, there are a large group of say 24-25 year olds--think college grads who didn't want a real day job.You will be fine if you like to party a bit.The DW CP is full of women, it is a target rich environment for a guy.You will be fine here, you will be put in a room with all 21 + ages hopefully.

The whole liquor thing is what gets folks-- if underage person is in your apartment and there is alcohol it is risky.I personally would tell you not to keep liquor there.It just avoids trouble.I saw many cases where if there was a minor and there was alcohol all the room mates got the boot.They are real serious about alcohol and minors here.

The other issue is believe it or not pregnancy, at least two of his room mates had that problem and the drama that goes with it.You can make sure that isn't a problem, I am sure you get that part.

The other work issue is cell phones don't use them on duty.Kids are so used to responding they do it automatically and that will get you automatically 86ed out of the program.

I think you will have a blast.From my experiences guys in general are low maintenance and do well in group living, women not so much, way more drama.Avoid the pg girlfriend you will be fine.And no booze with minors.

Ummmm so I may be misreading here but I get the feeling you think I'm male? I'm not lol. I am most definitely female!

Thanks for taking the time to respond but that's not really what I meant. I mean I'm not a kid, I've had a professional career before, I'm not going to do something stupid like answer my phone whilst on duty (honestly I don't know why my phone would be on my person at work). I was really more looking for people's personal experiences of interactions with it as older CPs/ICPs.

Haven't got to experience it yet, but if I get in next try I'll be 27 on my program. I plan on looking for roommates in advance on tumblr/facebook closer in my age range and with similar views on drinking/partying (I don't do either and don't want it in my apt).

Cupcakey, we might end up on the program at the same time! I know what you mean about not really being a party person. I very sociable and live going to concerts and shows and will love going to the parks and resorts but the whole 'party bus' scene makes me cringe. I just hope I can find a roommate similar in age to me who has the same arrival date! I'm planning to blog (and maybe even vlog a little bit) once I know if I'm accepted too.

My granddaughter is currently in the Fall Advantage program. She is 26yo & doesn't party. She applied for & is in a Non-Wellness apartment because she did not want to risk having under 21yo roommates & someone sneaking in alcohol - Disney kicks everyone in the apartment out of the program!

Also, her roommates are not the stereotype of party hardy college students. Some of them already have their Bachelor degrees & are close to or in mid 20's. Maybe Disney matched them accordingly?

So, I don't think you will have any problems. I think you will find lots of roomies who are mature in life style.

Good luck.

Id love to hear from anyone who did the CP/ICP when they were 25+ or especially if they were 30+, how did you find your roommate/s? Did you go the traditional facebook route or just trust in random selection?

They don't really advertise this but you don't have to live in CP housing as a CP. I had my own apartment off property for my 2nd CP. They typically still take a housing deposit then refund it back to you after 60 days. That way you could find housing with other cast members closer to your own age. Idk if the process has changed in the past few years but it's worth a shot to email the housing office and ask.

They don't really advertise this but you don't have to live in CP housing as a CP. I had my own apartment off property for my 2nd CP. They typically still take a housing deposit then refund it back to you after 60 days. That way you could find housing with other cast members closer to your own age. Idk if the process has changed in the past few years but it's worth a shot to email the housing office and ask.

I'm pretty sure that with the Aus/NZ program you have to live in Disney Housing. I could be wrong but I think I read that somewhere. Might have something to do with Disney being your sponsor for the Visa.

I'm pretty sure that with the Aus/NZ program you have to live in Disney Housing. I could be wrong but I think I read that somewhere. Might have something to do with Disney being your sponsor for the Visa.

Ah yes, sorry missed that part! In my experience though I find that the average age for ICPs is usually a bit higher than typical CPs

Interested to hear how you get on Becsta, when I was over in WDW last year on holidays, met a lot of Aussie"s doing the program, they all said it was fantasic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter