OL & OC age policy

AFMom

DIS Veteran
Hi All! New to the cruise board, and have a question. We're thinking of taking a cruise this Fall. My DS's are currently 7 and 8. the DS that is 7 will be 8 in December and the 8 yo will be 9 in October - we would be cruising before their b'days (yes - very last minute!).
For the Oceaneers' Lab - will they allow my almost 8 yo to join in with the almost 9 yo so that they can stay together? Also - my 7 yo I think would have a much better time (since he's so close to 8) with the 8-9 yo's than with the 5-7 yo's.
Can't find any info on this.... thanks!

The official policy is that a child must be within 30 days of the next birthday to move up to the next age group. Since you are cruising in the fall, the 8 might be close enough to 9, but 8-9 are the same group so it doesn't matter.

Off the record, I've seen them allow kids near (but not within the 30 days) to move up to be with a sib, cousin, etc. That is handled on an individual basis based on the counsellor's assessment of the child's maturity, etc as well as the number of kids in each age group. One rule is that a child is only allowed to change groups once during a cruise. Thus, I usually suggest that you start with the kids in their age appropriate groups. Then talk with the counsellors about a move if you feel it would be better. There is still a big difference between an "almost 8" and a "nearly 10," even with a sibling right there.

Bottom line is that they want everyone to be happy--mom and kids....so they will probably allow your kids to be together.

One place they are very strict (just for the record) is a 12 year old moving to the teen group. They must be 12 years and 11 months.

Thank you - that really helps. Good to know about the one time move, as well - he may want to try out the younger group for a day just to see if he knows he can't go back!

My DS9 (last April) found the activities in the 8-9 group still geared to the younger set so if they'll let your soon-to-be-eight kiddo into that group, I'm sure he'll be quite comfortable, especially with a sib around.

CB

Friends of ours went on the Disney Wonder last Oct. Their DD was 12 not turning 13 juntil Dec 30. and they let her go with the teens.

We were told by CM on the 7/9/05 cruise that they can move twice. And we did move our son one night to be with his cousin - he turned 7 in Feb and moved up to the 8-9 group. And then the next morning we changed him back to his group of 5-7. I'm pretty sure they will allow these two changes as they said it was a "trial" when they put him in the 8-9 group - they probably want the power to put him back should it not work out. I was told by another CM the same thing in the morning when I changed him back - that they are allowed to change twice, but then that's it - absolutely no changes after that. They were also going to allow one nephew to drop an age as well. FYI for those traveling with extended families- only the parents and/or legal guardians are allowed to make these changes. I couldn't make a change for my nephew. At least that is what we were told. Lisa

We were on the Wonder on 7/7/05. MY DD(6) was in the OL when we first got on and my DS(3) was in the OC. Although she is not shy it seemed like all the kids in her group either had a friend or family member travelling with them so she felt kind of lonely. We received a page from the counselors to see if we minded if she moved down into the group with her brother. When we brought them back later that night to the OC, she had a blast. By the end of the cruise the staff had made her a 'Counselor in Training'. The staff absolutely loved both of my kids being in that group. We were sad that we were only on the 3 day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter