OKW Trip Report (Long)

Jimbo

6 AM and already the boy ain't right.<br><font col
We returned this week from 9 nights in a GV at OKW. We arrived on October 21st (a Saturday), and returned on the 30th (Monday). The cast members were DW and me, DS and his GF (sort of), DD and her husband. And most importantly, our two granddaughters ages 12 and 9.

Arrival

We took a limo from the airport to OKW (it's a grandfather thing :Pinkbounc). We had a grocery stop, and arrived at around 2:30. I was told we'd be in room 2523 on Peninsular Road, exactly the room I was hoping to get. Unfortunately it wasn't ready, so we went to the pool because it was around 90 degrees out.

I called periodically, but had no luck. I asked at the desk once, too, and they said that the problem is there's a lot of new housekeepers on staff. So a manager goes over the room prior to releasing it. All other GVs were in use (plus I wanted that room), so I waited. Finally at 4:45 the room was ready.

BTW - This seemed like a big deal at the time, but we forgot about it almost immediately and I didn't even remember it 'til I started typing this out.

Room

Everyone was blown away by the room. DD's family of four lives in a house that's smaller than our "hotel room," so they were especially excited. All of us except DS's GF (sort of) had been in an OKW GV before, but it's still so impressive to walk into one.

The room was in very good shape. We noticed a couple stains on the couch later in the trip, but I can't say whether they were there when we walked in, or if we put them there (I hope it's the former). Other than that the room was spotless.

The entertainment center was set up kind of strangely, I think. The remote controls didn't work with the DVD player, and the player itself didn't have any buttons that we could see other than power, and a play/pause button. There was an A/V receiver but it wasn't hooked up to the DVD player. Lastly, there were speakers on top of the cabinet, but they weren't hooked up to anything at all. We didn't really care, because we just watched TV. But what was supposed to be there?

The deck had trees blocking half of the view, while the other half looked out onto the 5th green of the LBV course. Very nice.

Transportation

Since we didn't have a car, we were totally dependent on bus transportation. And I'm pleased to report that OKW came through with flying colors! We rarely waited more than a few minutes for a bus, regardless of where we were headed. Another thing that I never noticed is that OKW seems to have a preferred location at the parks; it was always one the first resorts in line, which is a blessing when everyone's wiped out at the end of a long day.

Peninsular Road's bus stop is usually the first one on the way back home - this varies some times, though - so we'd hop off without a long OKW tour. We usually walked to HH to take the bus to the park. It's really an ideal location we think.

Interesting story... The only time that we had a long wait was the night we had dinner reservations at AKL. We spent the day at AK, and then took a bus to the Lodge. It took probably 30 minutes for the bus to show, and we saw two OKW buses during that time!

Park Stuff

The crowds were light during the week, and fairly heavy on weekends. Epcot crowds really got big, and I'm sure that's due to the F&W Festival. I imagine a lot of locals go there on weekends.

DW and I took the girls to MNSSHP on Monday, and we had a fabulous time. It wasn't crowded at all, and we got to walk onto all of the rides. Plus there was literally no limit to the amount of candy you could get. We got enough to provides treats for the whole group for the rest of the week, and took a ton home.

We thought we might have some problems trying to keep 8 people happy, but it turned out not to be a problem. We've been to WDW enough times that everybody felt comfortable splitting off into smaller groups. It worked out fine.

I'm tired of writing, so I'm stopping now, even though there's lots more to say. We all had a grrreat time. DW and I will be back the end of December, staying at SSR, and can't wait to get back!

Sounds like you had a great trip! Hope the girl friend (sort of) was impressed! ;) We LOVE those OKW GV's!

thanks for the report! We're heading to OKW for the first time in 35 days :woohoo:

So.... what makes the GF "sort of"??? :listen: :teeth:

Thanks for sharing, sounds like a fun trip. Considering check in is after 4pm, I would say getting a villa at 4:45 was excellent.

Thanks for the report. We will be at OKW in 19 more days!!!! WOOHOO!!! But not in a GV, just a 2 bedroom for the 4 of us!!! Glad you had a wonderful trip!

Good Ol Gal said:
So.... what makes the GF "sort of"??? :listen: :teeth:
I think that I may have already said too much. :teeth:

Sammie said:
Thanks for sharing, sounds like a fun trip. Considering check in is after 4pm, I would say getting a villa at 4:45 was excellent.:
I disagree with that. I expect to be given my room by 4:00 at the latest.

Jimbo said:
I think that I may have already said too much. :teeth:

I disagree with that. I expect to be given my room by 4:00 at the latest.

That is not what is stated on your confirmation though. After 4pm.

Well, I got my room after 4:00 PM, so I guess they came through! Out of curiousity, how late would be too late in your opinion?

Great report, and I'm glad everyone was impressed with OKW. :thumbsup2

I think if you can't get into a room by, say, 5:00 or so that would be "too long". So I can understand your chagrin at coming close to that. It's just that when you get there, you want to settle in and it makes things so much better if you can do that sooner rather than later. Still, we've checked in enough times to know that flexibility and patience are the keys to happiness with the process of getting into a room.

But like you, the experience is quickly forgotten for us and if I don't note in in my notes I tend to even forget it. Glad that it had no real adverse affect on your trip!

Jimbo said:
Well, I got my room after 4:00 PM, so I guess they came through! Out of curiousity, how late would be too late in your opinion?

I would hope to get my room by 5pm, but if circumstances were such that it was later and the situation was explained, I would not be upset. This has only happened to us once and they treated us to dinner due to the wait and our patience about it.

But then I don't call and check to see if my room is ready until after 4pm either.

I personally feel one of the reasons more and more guests are getting rooms not properly cleaned is that the staff is being rushed to turn them over to guests wanting them prior to 4pm. We stay at other time share locations where getting your room before 4pm is not even an option. It takes a long time to properly clean a villa and I believe in giving them the time to do it properly.

Thanks for the report. We'll be all checked in to our GV at OKW this time next week!! I'm getting excited again.

This is the first time we've done a family trip. Here's hoping all goes well. I'm thinking it will, or would have never planned it, except there is a 15 month old involved that I'm just so anxious to take to WDW! :cool1: :cool1: And for the time being she comes with an array of support folks - grandparents, parents, etc!

And I hope we get into our room before 4:00 pm, but will have patience if we don't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter