OKW SSR and Universal?

SwanVT2

DIS Veteran
DH wants to visit Universal for our next trip..no Disney parks..but I love staying at Disney resorts. I can get either OKW or SSR for last week of February renting points. It is crazy to stay here and uber to Universal? Should we really stay at a Universal property? I am making a post to see if anyone has stayed at either of these resorts and done Universal.

If we stay at Disney, I think we'd prefer OKW because it has two beds (we will have 6 year old daughter with us). Or, should we stay at Saratoga for convenience to DS? Thank you!

I would absolutely stay at Universal! Everything is closer together, and the convenience is amazing - plus three of the resorts have automatic Express Pass. Since you're not doing Disney parks, don't set yourself up to miss them. Just immerse yourself in Universal. - It's great too!

Well looking at the cost of the Universal hotels, OKW & SSR are less expensive for what you get..in terms of size and kitchenette.!

It is crazy to stay here and uber to Universal?

YES.

Should we really stay at a Universal property?

YES.

Early entrance to a Wizarding World every day for all resorts.

Unlimited express pass from checkin through parks close on checkout day for deluxe resorts.

They actually bring purchases *to your room* if you buy them in the parks and have them sent back to the resort.

Pool hopping to any resort encouraged.

Gorgeous resorts. Lovely service. Everything is walkable. No heinous I4 traffic to deal with twice a day. Just...walk. Or take a boat. Or a bike taxi if you can find one (they work for tips).

You mention a kitchenette so you’re talking about a studio. Yeah, no. I’d stay onsite at Uni. Even without any sort of kitchen.

You can rent your points and pay for the Universal hotel with the money you get. I'll do this for may stay this September. I'll "pay" (the equivalent of) 10 points per night for Cabana Bay, could have a Deluxe (which includes an unlimited express pass) for 25 points, but since it's September it won't really be needed, I think.

I would stay at Universal at a hotel that includes the Express pass, we stayed at the Royal Pacific. Agree with the comment that suggest renting your DVC points to pay for the Universal stay.

Last edited:
Well as you have heard, there are many perks, advantages to staying at Universal while visiting Universal theme parks. That said, a few years back, while doing a Disney trip, we took a day off from Disney and did Universal. It's not the same as what you are asking, but we stayed at SSR on points (I am a member) and had an automobile to travel to Universal. So it can be done. Just not as convenient or loaded with perks,, etc.

We would never go to Universal with staying onsite with Unlimited Express Pass. It is hard to beat. Rent your points out and use that money to stay at Universal.

I've done it several times, not crazy at all. Stay where you like, OKW rocks! Best of both worlds.

I like OKW for Disney trips bc of proximity to magic kingdom and Epcot. But if I weren’t going to those parks and using points, I’d stay at SSR with my little kids bc the pools are better.

It is crazy to stay here and uber to Universal? Should we really stay at a Universal property? I am making a post to see if anyone has stayed at either of these resorts and done Universal.

It's over $20 each way to Uber. We stayed on Disney property and went to Universal one day earlier this month.

We have gone to US a couple times while staying at WDW. Once was from OKW and the other time that I can think of was at BWV. We just got up early and drove. Uber would be okay and easy too. At the BWV we went two days out of our stay. It's really too bad the way things are set up at WDW and US, it's really an all or nothing vacation. It seems not that long ago, maybe 10 years ago, you could do both in a stay in Orlando but the way they sell tickets anymore financially they steer you to doing one or the other. We have rented points successfully, I'm not sure if it's totally cost effective, but definitely an option. The lower end US hotels do not give front of the line passes, only the high-end ones do.

We have ALSO stayed at a US hotel and stayed for a few nights. We enjoyed that very much too. There really is no 'wrong' choice.

I must add that one of the visits that we made when staying at WDW we entered the line for US very early (hoping to make it to Wizarding World early) and the gate person let us in with the hotel guests, just being nice I guess, so we were excited for that!

Good luck!

We looked into going to Universal for a day on this trip and Honestly, it is substantially cheaper to book a package at the Universal Resorts that. To just get a ticket to Universal Studios with transportation.

So I don't recommend staying DVC for a Universal Trip.

We have gone to US a couple times while staying at WDW. Once was from OKW and the other time that I can think of was at BWV. We just got up early and drove. Uber would be okay and easy too. At the BWV we went two days out of our stay. It's really too bad the way things are set up at WDW and US, it's really an all or nothing vacation. It seems not that long ago, maybe 10 years ago, you could do both in a stay in Orlando but the way they sell tickets anymore financially they steer you to doing one or the other. We have rented points successfully, I'm not sure if it's totally cost effective, but definitely an option. The lower end US hotels do not give front of the line passes, only the high-end ones do.

We have ALSO stayed at a US hotel and stayed for a few nights. We enjoyed that very much too. There really is no 'wrong' choice.

I must add that one of the visits that we made when staying at WDW we entered the line for US very early (hoping to make it to Wizarding World early) and the gate person let us in with the hotel guests, just being nice I guess, so we were excited for that!

Good luck!
After doing the math for an upscale hotel to get EP as UN we decided to wait until DD who is 6 will be older. It is just out of our budget! This way she will be taller for more rides and more familiar eith Harry Potter.
I have looked into renting points at Saratoga springs and it is much more manageable. We could visit DS, Disney maybe for a day and enjoy all the activities the resort has to offer. Plus I think we could do a day at sea world.

As long as you aren’t giving up what YOU want to do, just because your 6 year old won’t get on everything...

Oh and there’s one ride you’ll be able to ride now but not later as she grows, and that’s Pteranodon Flyers. It has a minimum AND maximum, and you have to be with someone between those measurements to ride.

I personally hate the ride, but most love it. I was very happy when my son got too tall so we couldn’t ride it. If you think you might enjoy it, think about it.

Also want to make sure you weren’t only pricing out packages. Be sure to go to loewshotels dot com and look at room-only.

One or two day tickets to either Disney or Universal are expensive. We once used our points for one night before moving over to Uni. I wanted to do laundry (it was a weird vacation and we were coming from elsewhere) in the villa. Then our dryer was broken so we had to stay longer at the resort on the day of checkout. Considered Epcot. But it felt like highway robbery for that one day ticket.

As long as you aren’t giving up what YOU want to do, just because your 6 year old won’t get on everything...

Oh and there’s one ride you’ll be able to ride now but not later as she grows, and that’s Pteranodon Flyers. It has a minimum AND maximum, and you have to be with someone between those measurements to ride.

I personally hate the ride, but most love it. I was very happy when my son got too tall so we couldn’t ride it. If you think you might enjoy it, think about it.

Also want to make sure you weren’t only pricing out packages. Be sure to go to loewshotels dot com and look at room-only.

One or two day tickets to either Disney or Universal are expensive. We once used our points for one night before moving over to Uni. I wanted to do laundry (it was a weird vacation and we were coming from elsewhere) in the villa. Then our dryer was broken so we had to stay longer at the resort on the day of checkout. Considered Epcot. But it felt like highway robbery for that one day ticket.
Well my DH is the one who wanted to do universal. None of it appeals to me. I am not a thrill ride person nor do I really love any of the movies. I think he can go with DD in the future while i lounge at the pool or hit the outlets! This trip is mostly to escape the VT winter, hit the pool, enjoy DS and sea world for a day. Dd and i might go to MK because DH is not a fan of MK. Gasp!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter